It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #1
(female)

Egl0722 HB User
Is almond milk okay for people with hypothyroidism?

Hi all,

I have one more question (sorry for so many the past few days).

I'm going for RAI on Friday morning, so I'll eventually have hypothyroidism. I know there's a whole laundry list of foods we're supposed to avoid, but I spoke with my PCP last night and he said that he (and my endocrinologist) can tailor my medication dosage to suit my lifestyle. I LOVE eating things like broccoli (lightly steamed) spinach (sometimes raw, but mostly cooked in spinach bread), brussel sprouts (cooked), and the like, and I'd have to eliminate almost 75% of my diet if I actually followed that list. So, I'll just take my Synthroid (once I'm on it) one hour before eating and we'll be good. I know I'm supposed to avoid soy products, which is fine with me since I don't like the taste. I've been trying to make appointments with nutritionists all day, but literally every single one is booked out until at least late March.

However, I've been concerned lately with my calcium intake: I know I'm not getting enough since I've recently switched to a dairy-free diet (I have IBS, plus I'm on an anti-cancer diet just because I've had a lot of x-rays and CT scans as a kid, so I'm being proactive. Plus, it's a lot healthier, too). I know they have calcium-fortified juices and things like that, so I can have a serving of that per day. Plus lots of fruits and veggies have calcium too, but I'm worried that still may not be enough (I also have an unstable ankle and very, very slight arthritis, so I don't want any of my bone issues to get any worse). I've read that Total cereal is a great source of calcium though, so I was thinking of having that for breakfast with some almond milk and maybe a small fruit salad -- raspberries, blueberries, kiwis, etc. -- for breakfast. Is almond milk okay for hypothyroidism? It should be fine as long as it doesn't contain soy, correct? I'm not familiar with it enough to know, so anyone that's had experience with this, I'd love to hear from you! Once this low-iodine diet is over, I want to start eating what I'd normally eat every day so I can see how that reflects in my thyroid tests (and yes, I know to ask for Free T3 and Free T4, as well).

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
(female)

kmcsp HB User
Re: Is almond milk okay for people with hypothyroidism?

I don't have an answer for you, but I want to say 'thank you' for posting this because I never realized there was a hypo diet. I will look into this because I have been hypo since I gave birth to my daughter two years ago, and I never feel quite right to be honest, even on my meds. Good luck to you on your new diet!

Old 01-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
(female)

Egl0722 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcsp View Post
I don't have an answer for you, but I want to say 'thank you' for posting this because I never realized there was a hypo diet. I will look into this because I have been hypo since I gave birth to my daughter two years ago, and I never feel quite right to be honest, even on my meds. Good luck to you on your new diet!
Hi! So, I'm by no means an expert, but just out of curiosity: Has your doctor been testing your Free T3 and Free T4 (as opposed to just T3/T4)? From what I've learned recently, very few doctors actually test for Free T3/Free T4, which apparently corresponds best with hypo symptoms. As such, you can eat whatever you'd like (at least according to my doctor) and your medication can be adjusted accordingly. My grandmother and my cousin also both have hypothyroidism and, to my knowledge, neither has ever been told what to eat/what not to eat. Same thing goes for people on medicines like Coumadin. My cardiologist is actually on Coumadin and I just saw her this morning in a fit of panic about this supposed "diet" I should be undertaking, absolutely terrified that I would need to eliminate almost all of my diet because their supposedly "goitrogens." She said that she's supposed to avoid broccoli, spinach, etc. -- a lot of the stuff that hypo people are theoretically supposed to avoid -- and she still eats it. Her doctor just adjusted her Coumadin dosage to fit her lifestyle.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Almonds are a goitrogen.

There's nothing magic about Total cereal regarding calcium. Calcium carbonate is sprinkled liberally on the flakes, that's all. Cal carbonate is the worst kind to take. It doesn't absorb as well as cal citrate or cal aspartate. Plus, it binds to exogenous thyroid hormone, making IT unabsorbable.

Reply Reply