It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
(male)

xjrockx HB User
Question about thyroid levels

Hey everyone,

Over the past 2.5 years i have been dealing with chronic fatigue,have a hard time with concentrating,thinking and remembering things,lack of motivation,stomach problems to name a few. i got tested for hypothyroidism a little over a year ago and was in the normal range but was on the bottom end of normal. i recently got tested again to see if my levels have dropped and they came back
tsh- .891 uIU/ml normal range .450-4.5
free t3 -2.9 pg/ml normal range 2.0-4.4
free t4 - .92 ng/dl normal range .82-1.77

Once again in the normal range. BUT i recently read something that said even if you are in the normal range you are supposed to be in the top 50% of the range to be normal. is this true? or am i really normal and should look for other things that would cause my symptoms? if so what else should i look into?

Last edited by xjrockx; 01-16-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Question about thyroid levels

Your TSH is not reflective of how very low your free Ts are. Yes, those should be at least midpoint on their ranges.

You remain undiagnosed because it seems they're paying attention only to your TSH, which is considered "normal". But I'm sure you're suffering symptoms of those low FTs. I hope you can find a doctor who'll understand that and prescribe a trial of thyroid hormone for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2013, 07:06 PM   #3
(male)

xjrockx HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Your TSH is not reflective of how very low your free Ts are. Yes, those should be at least midpoint on their ranges.

You remain undiagnosed because it seems they're paying attention only to your TSH, which is considered "normal". But I'm sure you're suffering symptoms of those low FTs. I hope you can find a doctor who'll understand that and prescribe a trial of thyroid hormone for you.
Thank you for the reply.I wasn't sure if I should pursue the hypothyroidism or move on and look for other causes of my symptoms.one question,in my research of hypo I've noticed that with low t3/t4 that the tsh is high. But since my tsh is on the way lower range of lower what does that mean?

Last edited by xjrockx; 01-16-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Healthy people have TSH around 1 to 1.5 and free T4/3 levels at 50-70% of their ranges. In the textbook world, TSH is supposed to rise once T4/3 become deficient, but in reality it hardly ever works that way. Most of the time, hypoT is caused by auto-antibodies that suppress thyroid hormone production. These antibodies are known to also prevent the rise of TSH, but doctors aren't taught that. It means most people suffer for years in the hypothyroid state before their TSH rises high enough to be diagnosed. Do you have any family history of thyroid or autoimmune diseases? If so, testing for TPO and Tg antibodies is warranted.

Other times, pituitary or hypothalamic dysfunction keeps TSH low while thyroid hormone levels inappropriately fall. Eating disorders can cause TSH to remain low while T4/3 fall.

There are three reasons that come immediately to mind that cause low TSH w. low T4/3.

I won't lie. You may have a hard time finding an MD who'll see your T4/3 too low. Most will dismiss the possibility as long as your TSH looks so "normal". That doesn't mean it isn't worth searching for one, though. Smarter ones are out there, if you look hard enough.

Good luck.

Reply Reply