It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #1
(male)

at282000 HB User
Hypothyroid and Low T, double wammy?

I am a 41 year old male. I'm in good physical shape. I do physical training, normally running 3-4 times a week. I have been suffering from day time tiredness, mental fog, cold hands/feet, joint pain, decreased sex drive and generally not feeling well. My thyroid test is below:

Thyrotropin Sensitive - 3.861 (High), (ref range - 0.358-3.74)

So based on the test above and symptoms I was diagnosed as hypothyroid. I have been taking Levothyroxine 25mcg for two weeks. No real difference yet.

My doctor also check my testosterone. My results are:

Testosterone, Serum or Plasma Quantitative EIA Ultrasensitive - 226.5ng/dL (Low), (ref range - 280-800)
Hemolysis Index NORMAL
Lipemia Index TRACE
Icteric Index NORMAL

I haven't been back to see the doctor yet ref the testosterone. I have been doing a lot of reading. Seems like my doctor should take a look at my free and bound testosterone, also the antibodies that are associated with Hashimotos for the thyroid. But that is just me guessing. Does anyone have recommendations on what I should ask/request from my doctor? Is there a big corralation between the two glands? Will correcting the hypothyroidism fix the low T? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by at282000; 01-17-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

telus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB User
Re: Hypothyroid and Low T, double wammy?

answers to some questions:
1. too early to see results.
2. should INSIST on getting Free T4 and Free T3 tested. Otherwise impossible to tell when you are at the correct dosage. 25 mcg is quite small, but you have to work up.
3. your doc does not seem very conversant on thyroid issues, treating based on TSH only. If in doubt, get him to refer you to an endocrinologist, or find another doc.
4. I am hypothyroid and I use Androgel for low testosterone; one package of 5 grams daily raised my levels to normal (2 packs was too much).
5. Yup. Keep up the reading...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
(male)

at282000 HB User

Thanks telus. I have kind of guessed starting the meds on a TSH value only was a maybe not the best action. But, like you said the dosage is really low so I will request the free T4 and free T3. So it sounds like your low T and hypoT are being treated seperatly. Do you know if they normally treated separate? I have read that sometimes a malfunctioning thyroid can mess up testosterone. I just want to make sure I have all my questions and concerns together for when I see my doc again. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

telus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB User

Afraid I do not know the answers to those questions re T. I am relying on my doc for that. I am seeing an integrative doctor who is well versed.

Normal practice is to monitor T levels every 6 - 12 months if you are on T supplements, so if it went up as your thyroid comes up, you could back off the Androgel.

The Following User Says Thank You to telus For This Useful Post:
at282000 (01-18-2013)
Reply Reply