It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User
Need your help with thyroid numbers

Hello, I am hoping that you can help me with my thyroid numbers. My confusion is because they came back normal but that is not how I feel health wise. Before I got my results back I could swear that I had hypothyroidism because of my symptoms but my numbers don't support this.

I would appreciate your feedback and any comments.

TSH: 2.23 uIU/mL (.450 - 4.50)
Thyroxine, Free: 1.43 ng/dL (0.82 - 1.77)
Triiodothyronine, Free serum: 3.0 pg/mL (2.0 - 4.4)

My symptoms are: fatigue, difficulty breathing, extreme sensitivity to cold, constipation, unexplained weight loss, Muscle weakness and cramps, elevated cholesterol, muscle aches, tenderness, depression, anxiety, panic attacks, impaired memory, palpitations, and difficulty sleeping. I suffer from gastritis and an inflamed esophagus due to acid reflux. Probably some of these symptoms are stomach related but not all. At this time, I only take Prilosec for the acid reflux and no other medications.

By the way, all my symptoms started a few months after being put on beta blockers, which I stopped taking almost two months ago.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

telus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB User
Re: Need your help with thyroid numbers

could you post what thyroid meds you take and how long have you been on them?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2013, 08:31 AM   #3
(male)

Seekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB UserSeekingpeace12 HB User

Thank you Telus for replying. I am not on any thyroid medication and have never taken any. The only medication that I am on is Omeprozole for Gastritis.

Oh, by the way, I heard back from my primary doctor who requested these tests and he told me that the results are normal and that my symptoms are not related to a thyroid problem. Because of this I cannot get a referral to an Endo doctor to get a second opinion so if I go to an Endo I will have to pay out of my pocket since my health insurance won't pay unless I have a referral.

Last edited by Seekingpeace12; 01-18-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

telus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB User

OK, your doctor is saying your labs are normal because they are within the reference ranges. That is a pile of crap.

He should compare to normal peoples values. Below, I compare to median values for normal males under 60 years of age.

Your TSH is 2.23, compared to median of 1.2 to 1.4. Indicates hypothroid.
Your FT4 is 1.43, compared to median of 1.1 to 1.36. Indicates normal.
Your FT3 is 3.0, compared to median of 3.11 to 3.4. Indicates slightly hypothyroid.

So 2 out of 3 tests indicate hypothyroid. Add that to your symptoms and you probably are hypothyroid.

You are unlikely to get help from a endocrinologist because he will likely look at the tests the same way. Ask around all your friends to see if they know any docs who are good on thyroid stuff. Or find a compounding pharmacy in your area, and ask the druggist for the names of any docs who prescribe T4 and slow release T3 or Armour. These will be the docs who might be able to help you. Ask the druggist who he would go to. Naturopathic doctors can be well versed in this stuff.

I see from your other post that you have suffered from panic attacks. If by panic attack you mean tachycardia, then I would point out to you that tachycardia can most definitely be caused by hypothyroidism. And your doc should have sent you for an ECG to see what was going on. It might reveal that you have SVT - supra ventricular tachycardia, or AFIB - atrial fibrillation. It's not panic or anxiety - best to stop calling it that.

Seeking - the answer to your problems in your hands - those labs would indicate hypothyroidism to a doctor who knows how to interpret them. Now you have to go find that doctor. Don't give up!

Peace...

Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #5
(male)

Thank you so much Telus for your explanation. I have been doing a lot of research on the 'net and reading any posts on hypothyroidism and could not grasp how someone with normal values can feel like I do. I decided that seeking the advice of the experts here was my best bet. You have given me a starting point and direction and I thank you for that.

Reply Reply