It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2013, 01:12 AM   #1
(female)

fresnogirl HB Userfresnogirl HB User
armour dosage question

I am debating on making a switch to armour based on what my
labs will show next week. I plan on getting bloodwork done and it will be 6 weeks on 37 mcg of synthroid. (very low dose) (yes i still feel hypo)
1) what is the equivalent dose to armour? and would my dr start me off at 1/4 or 1/2 grain?
2) what and how is the best way to
switch from synthroid? Take it the next
day? cut the pill in half and take for a week then increase? or dont take anything for a couple days then start the armour?

Old 01-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
Re: armour dosage question

Hi! If you had any lab results, we could tell if you need T-3. Even though I convert, I feel like maybe it wasn't enough and I also had pain in my neck and shoulders. (I have a pinched nerve and feel it much more when T-3 is at the low end.) I asked for Armour and my compliant endo said, "okay we'll try it." I was on about the same dose as you and actually went a little hyper on it.(Levothyroxine) I started on 15 of Armour,went to 30, then 45. (in about 6 months)This was fine for awhile but then around Christmas I started feeling very nervous,anxious and my T-3 was at the top of the range again. I had been feeling worse the week before this, so it was probably out of range then. I have to admit, I'm not dragging on Armour. I have a physical job and before this, it seemed my legs would get tired going up and down stairs. I am only 5'2" and about 108 pounds. I have been small all my life and first started all this with Graves and was put on a med to slow my thyroid.
I went into remission, then started to go hypo a few months after stopping meds. I think I need my FT3 to be in the higher range but not too high.I told the doc "if we could get it around 3.7, I think I'd be great!" Of course she said she didn't really know how to do this but to just be checked monthly as my labs can change fast. I have antibodies for Hashi's so I feel my thyroid is burning out and going through these fluxes.
Long story short, I DO feel better on Armour, just start slow and work up and see how your labs are. The T-3 in Armour basically made me pain free and much less fatigued. I can run around and do my job again. I just need my dose changed when I'm on one dose too long and it takes awhile to figure all this out especially since i am so sensitive to how my labs are. I can actually "feel" the climb or the fall. Sometimes I ignore it and then I end up too one way or the other. If your T-3 is on the lower end, I would try it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran'sNana View Post
Hi! If you had any lab results, we could tell if you need T-3. Even though I convert, I feel like maybe it wasn't enough and I also had pain in my neck and shoulders. (I have a pinched nerve and feel it much more when T-3 is at the low end.) I asked for Armour and my compliant endo said, "okay we'll try it." I was on about the same dose as you and actually went a little hyper on it.(Levothyroxine) I started on 15 of Armour,went to 30, then 45. (in about 6 months)This was fine for awhile but then around Christmas I started feeling very nervous,anxious and my T-3 was at the top of the range again. I had been feeling worse the week before this, so it was probably out of range then. I have to admit, I'm not dragging on Armour. I have a physical job and before this, it seemed my legs would get tired going up and down stairs. I am only 5'2" and about 108 pounds. I have been small all my life and first started all this with Graves and was put on a med to slow my thyroid.
I went into remission, then started to go hypo a few months after stopping meds. I think I need my FT3 to be in the higher range but not too high.I told the doc "if we could get it around 3.7, I think I'd be great!" Of course she said she didn't really know how to do this but to just be checked monthly as my labs can change fast. I have antibodies for Hashi's so I feel my thyroid is burning out and going through these fluxes.
Long story short, I DO feel better on Armour, just start slow and work up and see how your labs are. The T-3 in Armour basically made me pain free and much less fatigued. I can run around and do my job again. I just need my dose changed when I'm on one dose too long and it takes awhile to figure all this out especially since i am so sensitive to how my labs are. I can actually "feel" the climb or the fall. Sometimes I ignore it and then I end up too one way or the other. If your T-3 is on the lower end, I would try it!
bransnana! Thank you for the reply Yes, that is exactly what Im looking for. I wanna know where my ft3 and ft4 are and that will determine my switch. My last free t3 was 3.75 (2.5-3.9) and many posters advised not to try armour yet. Even though i convert well! It seems like you and i share kind of the same story. i feel tired, my legs ache!!, i dont sleep well, losing weight!! 5'4 and weigh 98 lbsss!!! Im about to just fly away If i see my t3 is low i will consider the switch. How long did it take for you to get to the dose you are now? did u go through adjustment symptoms? and do you feel so much better? i work a very demanding job as an rn. Im scared ill never be able to work again

Old 01-19-2013, 07:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User
Smile Re: armour dosage question

In the beginning on Armour, I felt some heart palps and some dizzyness but very slight. I started out slowly like I said and it took a good 3 months anyway for me to go up o 45. (it really wasn't 6 months, I screwed up) I don't need the 45 right now it was making me too hyperish and i started to cut back. it took a good 2 weeks for me to feel right again. The thing about Armour is even though I cut back, i still feel okay and not draggy at all. When you cut down on the synthetic med people will feel worse. I think the added T-3 must be the reason. So you get a boost of that without your body having to convert it slower from the T-4 med.That's what I think anyway. If your converting well on the synthetic at only37.5, then I don't think you would need much Armour either. I can go back and forth, so I have to be monitored closer. My levels will rise pretty quick sometimes. My doc says I am one of those people that can feel my levels and is in tune to what's going to happen before it actually shows. Also sensitive to the drops and the climbs. Sometimes your FT3 will be too high and you'll feel tired too. The metabolism going to fast can wear you out. You don't know till you see your labs. I found the Armour to be somewhat gentler in a way for me, although if that FT3 goes to high I feel"wired and tired." No aches and pains though but I just don't feel comfortable in my own skin. Too nervous and edgey!

Old 01-21-2013, 01:44 AM   #5
(female)

brans nana,
whenever you feel too edgy or hyper do you cut back down on ur dose with the help of your dr? I dont want to feel like im not comfortable in my own skin I feel okay now but I am still tired. and im
so glad i dont go through anxiety right now for im trying to get back to work. Once i get my bloodwork, ill post the results!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Maybe you could do with just a little Cytomel to see if that helps, without totally switching. I think that can be regulated a little easier than Armour maybe,cause it's separate from the other. Like they could try 2.5 twice a day and go from there. I cut back on my own and then call the doc and tell her. I then saw her afterwards this time and explained how I felt and why I cut back and she agreed and said we'll have to watch me closer, that's all.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
(female)

But do you think Armour is better than the synthroid/cytomel route? I only ask because i still have lingering aches and pains that a lot
of people on armour said usually subsided! Lol

Old 01-21-2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

That I couldn't tell you cause I never tried Cytomel, but for me, yes Armour does help the joint pain, with more Synthroid without Armour I had MORE pain. I don't know if adding Cytomel helps with that too but if it raises your FT3, which is what basically causes the joint pain (low FT3) wouldn't it work the same way? Don't know.. have to ask people on Cytomel and who HAD joint pain I guess?

Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
(female)

bran's,

when i get my labs tomorrow ill definitely post them here. i dont know if you know much about rt3 but my rt3 was high after starting synthroid.. 369 (90-350)! maybe i should have started armour a long time ago., the reason i didnt was because it seemed like i was converting well. 6 weeks ago my ft3 was 3.75 (2.5-3.9) so you may be right, i may not need that much armour.. i def dont want to be on armour and synthroid at the same time either not everyone feels great on t4 alone so im wondering if im gonna need some t3 too! Like you said, you had your energy back! i work a very demanding RN job! I need to get back to work in two weeks! LOL

Old 01-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

It just could be you need your FT3 at the top of the range, who knows to feel right?Are you a young woman? My doc said my needs might change with age and i won't need mine as high as I did 6 years ago. That definitely was true last month. I convert too but on levothyroxine my FT4 was way up,like 1.70 but my FT3 was only at 3.4. I felt horrible at this combo. I'm much better with lower FT4 and higher FT3 for whatever reason and think that's how I was most of my life. My younger daughter who is 33 is starting to show signs of thyroid probs and her labs mimic mine. T-4 doesn't matter to her it seems but her FT3 has been 2.8 and it's been 3.7. She feels much better when the FT3 is up there. She says she's not in a fog, can get things done, has ambition,she feels way better mentally. When her FT3 is at the bottom,she feels tired,depressed, no get up and go. She's a writer and can't even get a sentence written when she's low, like she's just stuck... she said she just stares at the computer. She has her labs checked periodically and her symptoms correspond with the FT3. I'm so glad she has some kind of base to be able to, in the future know what she was at when she felt good. Boy....I wish I knew that then!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
(female)

Quote:
It just could be you need your FT3 at the top of the range, who knows to feel right?Are you a young woman? My doc said my needs might change with age and i won't need mine as high as I did 6 years ago. That definitely was true last month. I convert too but on levothyroxine my FT4 was way up,like 1.70 but my FT3 was only at 3.4. I felt horrible at this combo. I'm much better with lower FT4 and higher FT3 for whatever reason and think that's how I was most of my life. My younger daughter who is 33 is starting to show signs of thyroid probs and her labs mimic mine. T-4 doesn't matter to her it seems but her FT3 has been 2.8 and it's been 3.7. She feels much better when the FT3 is up there. She says she's not in a fog, can get things done, has ambition,she feels way better mentally. When her FT3 is at the bottom,she feels tired,depressed, no get up and go. She's a writer and can't even get a sentence written when she's low, like she's just stuck... she said she just stares at the computer. She has her labs checked periodically and her symptoms correspond with the FT3. I'm so glad she has some kind of base to be able to, in the future know what she was at when she felt good. Boy....I wish I knew that then!
i feel okay in regards to depression, brain fog, that t3 is supposed to help with. but here are my recent labs: you might be right, might need some t3 in the mix.

been 6 weeks on 37 mcg of synthroid:

recap on last labs:

december
tsh 0.69 (0.30-3)
free t3 3.75 (2.5-3.9)
free t4 0.81 (0.58-1.64)

recent labs:
tsh 1.13 (0.3-3)
free t3 3.15 (2.5-3.9) free t3 went down
free t4 0.95 (0.58-1.64)
tpo 1224 (<60)
tgab 201 (<60)
vitamin d 66.1 (20-49) HIGH
dropping to 2000 iu of vitamin d3 a day instead of 5000 now

Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Now, were you on nothing before this or 25? It's funny, your tsh went up,FT3 went down but your FT4 came up.Did you feel better last month? Your tpo's are high like mine. My range for the vitamin D goes from 30-100. Mine was 43 after taking 1600 for a few months I bumped up to 2,000. That sounds like what you should do too,yup. Do you have Graves antibodies as well (TSI)?

Old 01-23-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
(female)

I was on 25 mcg of synthroid prior to 37 mcg. I did not feel better last month, I've gradually gone to feel better this month but no where near optimal. 37 mcg is not a therapeutic dose apparently learning from posters on here. Im going to bump down to 2000 units as advised by my doctor because its too high. yes, i had TSI antibodies tested in october 89 (<140). I no longer feel as hyper as i did when that lab (tsi) was drawn.

all in all, i think i need to give synthroid 50 mcg a try. slow and steady for sure.

Quote:
Now, were you on nothing before this or 25? It's funny, your tsh went up,FT3 went down but your FT4 came up.Did you feel better last month? Your tpo's are high like mine. My range for the vitamin D goes from 30-100. Mine was 43 after taking 1600 for a few months I bumped up to 2,000. That sounds like what you should do too,yup. Do you have Graves antibodies as well (TSI)?

Old 01-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, it's better to go from 37.5 to 50 than from 25 to 50 (too much of an increase) You never know till you try it. For me having higher tsi antibodies than you and having Graves at first, I'm a different case as my dose has to be adjusted a lot. I can go from lower to higher in a short time. I can be stable for 3 months, then I'll change again (usually go more hyper in my labs) if you don't do this, you should be okay.

Reply Reply