It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
(female)

Egl0722 HB User
Post-RAI: lemon candy? And other important questions

I went for my RAI this morning for Graves'/hyperthyroidism (20 MiCu). However, my normal endo had to call out for an emergency this morning and I met with one of his associates instead. But I still have a couple questions...

1. He said I could go off the LID tonight at dinner. Is this true? I thought I had to stay on the diet for several days after as well. The hospital originally mailed me an instruction sheet telling me to stay on it for 5 days; the one they gave me this morning doesn't say that. I put a call into my doctor but I've yet to hear back.

2. This doctor told me to go back on my Methimazole in 4 days and follow up with my regular endo in 6 weeks. I've never been told I should go back on the meds by my normal endo. Again, I'm waiting for a call from his office; I will continue on the LID and no meds until I hear otherwise.

3. Should I be having some lemon candies? I saw many of you writing about this so as to prevent damage to the salivary glands. I asked the other doctor about this this morning, but he didn't have much to say on the topic. I only found some Brach's lemon drops -- ingredients: corn syrup, sugar, lemon juice from concentrate, natural lemon oil, citric acid, malic acid, titanium dioxide color, maltodextrin, corn syrup solids, modified good starch, yellow 5, vitamin e -- which seem to fit within the LID. Should I have them. If so, how often?

Thanks for the help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User
Re: Post-RAI: lemon candy? And other important questions

Not sure how important it is in your case---for graves the dose is relatively small---something like 8 millicuries, whereas for thyroid cancer a dose is more like 150 millicuries---I think that's when the salivary gland damage is more likely. You can ask the nuclear med doctor or your endocrinologist if you need to worry.

Reply Reply