It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
(female)

dollydee HB User
My Lab Results

I have been taking thyroid medication for 40 years. My doctor retired, and I moved 6 states away. I needed to find another doctor, and had an appointment with Dr. T. I was running out of thyroid pills, then, and now have none.

Dr. T told me, without seeing any prior medical records, or listening to me about my life's thyroid history, that I didn't need thyroid medication, and I would have to wait eight weeks without any, for lab work, to see what the results were. He said over the years people tried to get thyroid medication for weight control. I said I don't loose weight when I take thyroid medication...and that's not why I need it.

I have been taking 2.5 grains of Nature Throid. I have taken Armour, and Synthroid in the past. I've tried them all.

I finally convinced Dr. T to order lab tests.
My results were:

TSH.........0.08
T4...........0.08
Free T3....4.16

I am guessing that I should cut back to 2 grains, from 2.5.

Thanks for any ideas, and comments you may have.

Last edited by dollydee; 01-18-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: My Lab Results

It would help us if you could post the ranges for the free T3 and T4 [is that total or free T4?]. The TSH is okay, since you take natural thyroid, but your T4 - whatever form it is - is horrendously low. Did you make a typo there?

The free T3 would be at the top of the typical range, but that doesn't mean it's excessive as long as you have no hyperT signs/symptoms. If you felt well, then 2.5 grains was a good dose for you.

It doesn't sound to me as if this MD is a good fit for you. He's going to keep you under-treated, if he agrees to treat you at all! And I bet he won't prescribe Nature-throid, either.

Wishing you luck finding good thyroid care ASAP.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
(female)

dollydee HB User

Thanks for your reply.

I did mistype my T4.

The results are:

TSH- 0.08 (Low 0.34 and High 5.60)

T4, Free- 0.88 (Low 0.61 and High 1.12)

Free T3- 4.16 (low 2.50 and High 3.90)

Thanks for your help.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The correction does help.

Your FT4 looks to be okay. But the slightly high FT3 does suggest that a slight reduction in dose may be warranted. Especially if I'm guessing correctly that you might be over 60 or close to it... ???

Still, that does not in any way mean you don't need thyroid replacement any more. After being on thyroid meds for 40 years, your gland isn't likely to just up and begin working again!

I'm sorry to tell you that you may have to find another MD if this one won't work with you. I suspect he knows nothing about natural thyroid med and thinks that low TSH means you're overmedicated or don't need meds at all. Don't let it happen. If you've felt good for a long time on Nature-throid, fight to stick with it.

Let us know what happens, okay?

Old 01-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
(female)

dollydee HB User

Thanks for your reply.

I am in my 50s, and was first prescribed thyroid when I was 14.

These current lab results are with me taking 2.5 grains of Nature Throid. I have only been prescribed 2 grains, but I had to break down a 3 grain tablet to try to get 2 grains, so, that is how I got 2.5 grains. I have been taking this slightly higher dosage for three months.

Perhaps, then, since the TSH, and T4, are okay at this dosage, but the T3 is slightly high, that may indicate I need to go back to 2 grains.

I have an appointment with a different doctor, in three weeks. Hopefully she will listen and understand. (unlike the last bossy doctor telling me I didn't need thyroid medication with no basis to say such a thing... no exam, no lab work)

Reply Reply