It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
(female)

beachbum75 HB User
Did I mess up my lab results?

I'm an active 37 year old female. I'm 5'8" and 122lbs. I don't smoke or drink and I exercise/weight train 2-3 days a week. I've been on Adderall XR for about 8 years. Over the past year I developed high blood pressure. 150's/ high 90's. Along with my feet turn blue if I sit still for too long and get really cold. My circulation is fine. I've also had a fast heart rate for as long as I can remember. In attempt to find the cause of my rising blood pressure, blue feet and rapid pulse my doctor sent me for blood work. Everything came back good except my thyroid. My TSH level was 6.4. I have no symptoms of hypothyroidism except dry skin (I've had eczema since I was 5) and heavy periods. I don't feel bad at all. I asked the doctor to retest me before I start taking anything for it. He is also checking for a tumor on my adrenal glands next week. When I went for my lab work I didn't know that I was supposed to fast. When the lady asked me if I've had anything to eat or drink, I said no because I don't usually eat breakfast. Except that morning I did because I felt hungry and I was going to work out. It didn't hit me until after I left the lab that I gave her the wrong info. I also went straight from the gym (after a really intense workout) to the lab. Would not fasting and intense exercise affect my thyroid levels?
Also three weeks before this, I went to the ER in the middle of the night and was diagnosed with dehydration and a kidney infection. They ran blood tests on me and they didn't say anything about my thyroid levels being off.

Last edited by beachbum75; 01-19-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
(female)

leighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB Userleighsa200 HB User
Re: Did I mess up my lab results?

I'm not sure what other tests your doctor may have ordered, but for thyroid tests my doctor says fasting is not necessary.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

telus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB User

TSH at 6.4 would normally indicate you are very hypothyroid.
Tachycardia is a symptom of hypothyroidism.
Lab tests for Free T3 and Free T4 as well as TSH should be done...

Old 01-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
(female)

beachbum75 HB User

Well, my 2nd results are in and I do have hypothyroidism for sure. I can't deny it any longer. My doctor didn't test for free T3 or 4 though. My thyroid peroxidase antibodies are 204 and my thyroglobulin antibodies are 20. So now I start taking Armour. I can't believe this! It's the last thing I ever expected.

Reply Reply