It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

iona_23 HB User
Hashi's and Insomnia anyone?

Hello everyone,

I woke up to shortness of breath...it surely felt like an anxiety was going to come on. I have noticed that I wake up around 230 almost every night and not being able to go back to sleep. It's pretty stressful. I usually go to bed at 1030. I am not sure if it's related to hashi's. Shortly after I wake up, I have to go to the restroom and then, I am fully wake. Insomnia kicks in. I have to work in the morning so this is pretty stressful. I also notice that I get real cold when this happens, even if the temperature of my home is set at 73. I do have gastritis and I do feel pain on the upper left side of my abdomen. Prilosec usually has helped but I am not on anything for my gastritis. I wanted to know if this insomnia is related to hashi? I've been reading online that waking up to shortness of breath is a serious health condition and reading that too has given me more anxiety. I am trying to stay calm cause I usually tend to overreact on things. My doctor tells me to stop reading things on the internet because I don't know how factual information on the net really is. But this is the only way I can find sanity when I don't feel well.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Hashi's and Insomnia anyone?

I know someone who was waking with shortness of breath, chest pressure, and anxiety. She was diagnosed with sleep apnea and now uses a CPAP machine. It solved her problem.
Have you been evaluated for that?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
(female)

Niki1980 HB UserNiki1980 HB User

Iona_23 - I am hypo and have VERY similar symptoms as you. Can't sleep for the life of me! In fact I am currently seeing a neurologist that specializes in sleep problems and will be having a sleep study done tomorrow. I will let you know once I have the results. I have found that Melatonin 3mg (sustained release) by Natural Source works the best for me! (I have literally tried everything from ambien, rozarem, remeron, amitriptyline, benadryl, etc.) I usually TRY to go to bed at 10:30, then up at 1:30, again at 3:30, then the anxiety starts to hit around 6:30-7:00. For this I just get up, eat and walk for 30 minutes. I too have GI problems. Have yet to figure those out. I have found that Carafate and Slippery Elm help with that stubborn pain just below the sternum. Hope some of this helps. Please keep me posted.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
(female)

DonnaB1223 HB User

I also had trouble with sleeping - waking every 2 hours during the night. My dr. had me test my adrenal and cortisol levels with a 24 hour saliva test and a urine sample. It did show my cortisol wasn't lowering enough at night. I am taking OC supplements to lower my seretonin levels.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #5
(female)

jaklyn2008 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki1980 View Post
Iona_23 - I am hypo and have VERY similar symptoms as you. Can't sleep for the life of me! In fact I am currently seeing a neurologist that specializes in sleep problems and will be having a sleep study done tomorrow. I will let you know once I have the results. I have found that Melatonin 3mg (sustained release) by Natural Source works the best for me! (I have literally tried everything from ambien, rozarem, remeron, amitriptyline, benadryl, etc.) I usually TRY to go to bed at 10:30, then up at 1:30, again at 3:30, then the anxiety starts to hit around 6:30-7:00. For this I just get up, eat and walk for 30 minutes. I too have GI problems. Have yet to figure those out. I have found that Carafate and Slippery Elm help with that stubborn pain just below the sternum. Hope some of this helps. Please keep me posted.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
(female)

jaklyn2008 HB User

I cant sleep and wake often every night. I have hashi's and had a partial thyroidectomy and hysterectomy. It is miserable. I now have gallbladder/stomach issues. I wonder if I'll ever feel good again. I know what you mean.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #7
(female)

cindeebee HB User

I was just diagnosed last October w Hashimotos and have always had trouble falling and staying asleep...BUT just recently had an epiphany after yet another ear/sinus infection, which I tend to get often, and having an odd reaction to an apple, I then wondered if the food I was eating could be causing some of my issues. I've spent most of my life having gastro issues (and alot of expensive Doctors appts and tests) and used to taking omeprazole daily. Now, I can't be 100% sure, but after having an igG Food Intolerance Blood Test, and finding out that I'm intolerant to so many foods, and after cutting out all the foods in question... I'm sleeping sound every night! It's been about a month. I was told to stop all Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Yeast, and Sugar (also had to stop eating Carrots, Mushrooms, ALL alcohol, peanuts and almonds)! I know it sounds crazy... because I basically can only eat Beef, Fish, Chicken, Pork (though NO Smoked Meats, Luncheon Meats or BACON), Veggies and Fruit. It sounds bad, I know, but knew if it meant I would feel better...then it is TOTALLY worth it. I have less pains, sinus issues, skin issues and more. I don't take as much pain medication and haven't taken my meds to help me sleep in two weeks! My gynecologist who is handling my thyroid and hormone issues ordered the test for me. Of course insurance didn't cover it, but it was only $129 and soooooo worth it. I had been tested a couple of times for Celiac only to have it come back Negative...but through this Blood Test found that I have a SEVERE intolerance to Gluten. Hashimotos is an Auto-Immune Disease...and you wouldn't believe how many other auto-immune conditions you can have or could have eventually. Guess my body sees these food proteins as bad and attacks them...just like my thyroid. Another positive, is that in 2 more months I may be able to slowly re-introduce these foods back into my system one at a time to see if I react badly. Although because I tested so high to Gluten/Wheat, Barley, Rye...bye-bye BEER and pizza =( ... I may not ever be able to eat that again. But on the bright-side, I'd rather feel better and SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT. My doctor uses the company Alletess to do this test. Look them up online as well as "food sensitivities or food intolerance". It's been a life-saver to me! Good luck to you all.

The Following User Says Thank You to cindeebee For This Useful Post:
DonnaB1223 (01-29-2013)
Old 03-15-2014, 01:39 AM   #8
(female)

jaklyn2008 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindeebee View Post
I was just diagnosed last October w Hashimotos and have always had trouble falling and staying asleep...BUT just recently had an epiphany after yet another ear/sinus infection, which I tend to get often, and having an odd reaction to an apple, I then wondered if the food I was eating could be causing some of my issues. I've spent most of my life having gastro issues (and alot of expensive Doctors appts and tests) and used to taking omeprazole daily. Now, I can't be 100% sure, but after having an igG Food Intolerance Blood Test, and finding out that I'm intolerant to so many foods, and after cutting out all the foods in question... I'm sleeping sound every night! It's been about a month. I was told to stop all Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Yeast, and Sugar (also had to stop eating Carrots, Mushrooms, ALL alcohol, peanuts and almonds)! I know it sounds crazy... because I basically can only eat Beef, Fish, Chicken, Pork (though NO Smoked Meats, Luncheon Meats or BACON), Veggies and Fruit. It sounds bad, I know, but knew if it meant I would feel better...then it is TOTALLY worth it. I have less pains, sinus issues, skin issues and more. I don't take as much pain medication and haven't taken my meds to help me sleep in two weeks! My gynecologist who is handling my thyroid and hormone issues ordered the test for me. Of course insurance didn't cover it, but it was only $129 and soooooo worth it. I had been tested a couple of times for Celiac only to have it come back Negative...but through this Blood Test found that I have a SEVERE intolerance to Gluten. Hashimotos is an Auto-Immune Disease...and you wouldn't believe how many other auto-immune conditions you can have or could have eventually. Guess my body sees these food proteins as bad and attacks them...just like my thyroid. Another positive, is that in 2 more months I may be able to slowly re-introduce these foods back into my system one at a time to see if I react badly. Although because I tested so high to Gluten/Wheat, Barley, Rye...bye-bye BEER and pizza =( ... I may not ever be able to eat that again. But on the bright-side, I'd rather feel better and SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT. My doctor uses the company Alletess to do this test. Look them up online as well as "food sensitivities or food intolerance". It's been a life-saver to me! Good luck to you all.

Old 03-15-2014, 01:55 AM   #9
(female)

jaklyn2008 HB User

Here I am up again at 4am. I get frightened from the stomach pain. It has been going on for years every night, sometimes even in the day if I ate especially bad. My biggest problem is self control. I know if I eat better I feel better but I am not the most organized person and if I get hungary and see something I really want to eat, I have to keep talking myself out of it. Usually I lose. I have gallbladder disease and should have it removed but am afraid to do that. I have had several surgeries and every time they lead to something else. No stones or sludge but is at 13% function. I have read that hormones problems can cause problems with the gallbladder. I also have hashis. I am so afraid that all this stomach problems is going to cause cancer.
I have had two polyps removed from the colon and was told they are the kind that turn into cancer. Well I didn't have them two years prior. Just when I noticed stomach issues.
I know I'm rambling. When I wake up hurting, anxiety begins. I went to an ND. He was wonderful. He put me on a bunch of natural stuff. It worked but it was so many pills and drinks between the expense and the day being spent trying to take pills and drinks, I kept getting off track. Now it's worse.
I appreciate everyone listening. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't get this off my chest.
Karen

Reply Reply