It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
(female)

adri326 HB User
Thoughts on Dr. Ken Blanchard's theories?

I just finished Dr. Blanchard's new book The Funtional Approach to Hypothyroidism and it kind of threw me for a loop. I have read some opinions against his "98:2 ratio" of T4:T3 but this was the first time I'd read anything saying TSH needs to be present. From all the research and message board reading I've done in the past few years it was my understanding that once you're taking exogenous thyroid hormone your TSH almost HAS to be suppressed in order for your body to get the right amount of T4 and T3 (I may not be wording that right). But dr blanchard states that when the TSH drops too low there is less T4 to T3 conversion at the cellular level. So he's saying that even with normal FT3 and FT4 tests there is still a deficit in the cells if the TSH is too low? I don't know if this is completely ridiculous or the answer to why I haven't been able to feel human the last few years. I've been moving from one uncooperative dr to another, pushing them to up my doses in order to get my TSH low enough to feel well. I was also trying to get my free Ts up of course but I figured all 3 were related. Now after reading Dr Blanchards book I'm not so sure.

He also seems to think most drs that are willing to prescribe T3 are overdosing by a lot, leading to treatment failures. Its seems Dr Blanchard rarely prescribes more than 1.5mcg T3! Wow, I'm just not sure what to make of that.

Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
(male)

at282000 HB User
Re: Thoughts on Dr. Ken Blanchard's theories?

Interesting thoughts. My understanding of the endocrine system or at least the relationship between the pituitary and thyroid is that there is a checks and balance. For example if there is not enough T3 and T4 the pituitary puts out TSH increasing levels, so the thyroid will produce some. Now if the pituitary detects enough T3 and T4 it does not put out TSH so the levels will be lower. To me if the T4, T3 are in range and TSH levels are low and in range then the system should be in balance and you should be good to go. Most importantly in my opinion based on the reading I have done, the test results are tools/indicators and the Dr should also listen to symptoms because not everyone fits into the same mold. Just my thoughts as someone new to this issue.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
(female)

melhold HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri326 View Post
I just finished Dr. Blanchard's new book The Funtional Approach to Hypothyroidism and it kind of threw me for a loop. I have read some opinions against his "98:2 ratio" of T4:T3 but this was the first time I'd read anything saying TSH needs to be present. From all the research and message board reading I've done in the past few years it was my understanding that once you're taking exogenous thyroid hormone your TSH almost HAS to be suppressed in order for your body to get the right amount of T4 and T3 (I may not be wording that right). But dr blanchard states that when the TSH drops too low there is less T4 to T3 conversion at the cellular level. So he's saying that even with normal FT3 and FT4 tests there is still a deficit in the cells if the TSH is too low? I don't know if this is completely ridiculous or the answer to why I haven't been able to feel human the last few years. I've been moving from one uncooperative dr to another, pushing them to up my doses in order to get my TSH low enough to feel well. I was also trying to get my free Ts up of course but I figured all 3 were related. Now after reading Dr Blanchards book I'm not so sure.

He also seems to think most drs that are willing to prescribe T3 are overdosing by a lot, leading to treatment failures. Its seems Dr Blanchard rarely prescribes more than 1.5mcg T3! Wow, I'm just not sure what to make of that.

Any thoughts?
Just curious how you are feeling almost 2 years later. I haven't felt "normal" for 3 years and was going to attempt Dr. Blanchard's approach.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Spencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB UserSpencer1 HB User

How are you doing? Did Dr. Blanchard's approach work for you? I have not been doing well for three years either.

Old 01-24-2014, 04:10 AM   #5
(male)

quackducker HB User

Ridiculous theory and ignore his blather.

Dr. Lowe (dec'd c. 2012) wrote in Thyroid Science about Dr. Blanchard's false beliefs about t3 therapy. You might want to find some of Dr. Lowe's articles.

I take 150 T3 in a single dose at bedtime, and have been doing so for a year and a half. So much for Blanchard's claims as far as my life goes. My heart is great and my health and energy are too.

As with most things, there is no single solution, no procrustean bed. You have to find what works for you, and what gets you to the point of feeling right.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:08 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB Usersammy64 HB User

I read both of Dr. Blanchard's books and have quite the distaste for his most recent one.

There is no "one size fits all" approach for thyroid disease.

I've been successfully treated since 2010 and take alternating doses of 125/137mcg T4 at bedtime and 10mcg T3 in divided daytime doses.

I joined the 20% of Graves' patients who go hypo after remission. My Graves' antibodies mimic the action of TSH so, my TSH is suppressed (below-range) as a result.

If my doctor followed Dr. Blanchard's protocol, I'd be miserably hypo with countless symptoms.

It doesn't matter whether the patient takes T4, T3, desiccated thyroid or combinations thereof nor does it matter what dose(s).

The key to success with thyroid treatment is the optimization of the FreeT4 and FreeT3 levels...and the elimination of symptoms.

I think Dr. Blanchard really dropped the ball with his latest book.

Last edited by sammy64; 01-24-2014 at 02:10 PM.

Reply Reply