It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
(female)

shelly8654 HB User
Hypo... with adrenal fatigue... or... ?

Hi,
I posted a while back with some thyroid and adrenal issues. Things fell by the wayside (life issues with family, etc)--my health took a backseat to more pressing matters and now I am getting some symptoms which are having a more profound effect on my ability to have a productive life.

I am hypo, on a low dose of synthroid and have a small goiter. The goiter seems to have managed to stay the same size since put on meds. My last TSH was 2.84. My current physician does not test Free T3 and Free T4 so I have no idea what those are.

My main most troublesome symptoms are grogginess/feeling like a zombie in the am..I have to have caffeine to function enough to help my young daughter get ready and off to school. I feel panicky the rest of the day--sudden unexpected noises make me feel like I have a huge adrenaline surge and then I have trouble calming down. For example, my razor fell off the shower wall and I jumped a foot in the air, heart raced and felt like it was going to pound out of my chest. Then I felt nauseous for awhile until I did some major deep breathing for awhile. And if someone comes up from behind me and I don't hear them...well, my reaction isn't pleasant. I have a lot of trouble getting to sleep at night. I feel like I am turning into a completely different person, and not a "good" different. I used to exercise to relieve stress, but that has gotten really difficult. It makes me really fatigued when I try to ride my bike, or walk on the treadmill, or anything aerobic-related.

I have gotten sick a lot over the past three years. Some of that are bugs my child brings home from school, but I get everything she has plus more. My husband hardly ever gets sick and it takes me longer to recover from illness. I have had everything from bronchitis, sinus infections, uti's, lot of colds, stomach viruses. Prior to that, I would maybe get a cold once a year, and on a rare occasion a stomach bug.

Anyway, my latest saliva cortisol labs are:
Am Cortisol 2.7 L range of 3.7-9.5
Noon 4.5 H range 1.2-3.0
Evening .9 range .6-1.0
Night 1.1 H range .4-1.0

My questions are: what does this erratic high and low mean? I figured a person would either have all highs or all lows.

Is this affecting my thyroid, or is my thyroid affecting this? From my understanding, wacky cortisols levels can results in a normal TSH but can affect T3 levels so my body isn't correctly utilizing my thyroid hormones? Is this right, and do I need to find someway to get my Free thyroid levels checked?

Are these levels manageable by myself? IE if I eat the proper diet (no/low sugar, whole unprocessed foods, no caffeine), meditate/try yoga, and try to find ways to reduce stresses in other areas of life...can I somehow get the cortisol back in balance. If I can't control this, am I just heading down a road of bed-ridden fatigue?

Thanks for any help,
Shelly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply