It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
(female)

karenl39 HB User
New to hyperthyroidism

I had a blood test 2 months ago that showed that my thyroid level was very low. I just retook the test and it is even lower. I am scheduled for an ultrasound of my thyroid on Monday. My doctor also prescribed medication for me. I don't know what it is yet because I haven't picked it up.

She went into a long explanation about how sometimes our antibodies attack our thyroid gland.

I do have symptoms. I am hot and cold all the time, cannot sleep at night, have lots of aches and pains and have frequent bowel movements. Also, my eyes are very dry although whose aren't in the winter?

What is the difference between Grave's disease and hyperthyroidism? How do you know if you have Grave's Disease?

Old 01-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
(female)

karenl39 HB User
Re: New to hyperthyroidism

Does anybody on here know or answer these posts? lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
(male)

at282000 HB User

Hello,
I'm not all that versed in hyperT and graves but my understanding is, Graves is an autoimmune disorder that leads to over activity of the thyroid or hyperthyroidism. You said that doc said that your thyroid hormones are low. What do you mean, how low? Can you post your test numbers? To me that would indicate hypoT, meaning you don't have high enough levels. Hard to tell without seeing the numbers.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

Hi there,

thyroid levels being low, does not mean much since if the doctor is referring to low thyroid level as such, which would be FT4 that would indicate hypoT, yet in case TSH is low that would be hyperT. TSh is thyroid stimulating hormone produced by the pituitary gland and not an actual thyroid hormone although doctors will often use it to refer to it though.

Anyway a good tip if one starts out is to keep track of blood levels or in other words if possible ask for a hard copy of the lab results, might benefit you on the long run.

the difference between Graves and hyperT is shortly explained by the poster above. Graves is an auto-immune condition which results in (most commonly) hyperT and is the most common cause of hyperT.

how does one know whether one has Graves? having graves antibodies tested being TSI or TSH receptor antibodies.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
(female)

karenl39 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa789 View Post
Hi there,

thyroid levels being low, does not mean much since if the doctor is referring to low thyroid level as such, which would be FT4 that would indicate hypoT, yet in case TSH is low that would be hyperT. TSh is thyroid stimulating hormone produced by the pituitary gland and not an actual thyroid hormone although doctors will often use it to refer to it though.

Anyway a good tip if one starts out is to keep track of blood levels or in other words if possible ask for a hard copy of the lab results, might benefit you on the long run.

the difference between Graves and hyperT is shortly explained by the poster above. Graves is an auto-immune condition which results in (most commonly) hyperT and is the most common cause of hyperT.

how does one know whether one has Graves? having graves antibodies tested being TSI or TSH receptor antibodies.
My TSH was 0.34 I think and 2 months later 0.31. She did mention she is going to test my antibodies in 1 month.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

that is suspicious of hyperT indeed, yet TSH alone does not give sufficient information for that either. Important are the actual thyroid levels, being FT4 and FT3, as long as those are within ranges, a person is not considered hyperT yet and not treated with ATD (antithyroid drugs) but monitored and if need be a betablocker is given. ATD is recommended in case of hyperT (and over the ranges levels)

the antibodies are relevant to know whether one is dealing with graves.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
(female)

karenl39 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa789 View Post
that is suspicious of hyperT indeed, yet TSH alone does not give sufficient information for that either. Important are the actual thyroid levels, being FT4 and FT3, as long as those are within ranges, a person is not considered hyperT yet and not treated with ATD (antithyroid drugs) but monitored and if need be a betablocker is given. ATD is recommended in case of hyperT (and over the ranges levels)

the antibodies are relevant to know whether one is dealing with graves.

Weird then I wonder why she put me on medication? I am having tons of symptoms and will be having an ultrasound on Monday.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

you being put on medication is probably warranted, but FT4 and FT3 should be measured too (even more so since dosing of ATD cannot be done on TSH alone)

good luck and keep us informed

Reply Reply