It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
(female)

granolamama HB User
Do I need to treat thyroid too, or is it enough to treat the adrenal fatigue?

I am confused about the difference between symptoms of adrenal fatigue and the symptoms of hypothyroid, and the relationship between them. If I have been treated for adrenal fatigue, and most of my symptoms are cleared up, do I still need to worry about hypothyroid?

I will list my thyroid test results over the years first, then a brief summary of symptoms/treatment.

Date: 8/05
TSH: 1.590 (norm 0.465-4.680 uIU/mL)
FT4: 0.91 (norm 0.59-2.19 ng/dL)
(FT3 not tested)

Date: 7/08
TSH: 2.56 (norm 0.40-4.50 MIU/L)
(FT4 & FT3 not tested)

Date: 2/09
TSH: 2.79 (norm 0.40-4.50 MIU/L)
FT4: 1.4 (norm 0.8-1.8 NG/DL)
FT3: 304 (norm 230-420 PG/DL)

Date: 10/11
TSH: 2.13 (norm 0.40-4.50 MIU/L)
(FT4 & FT3 not tested)

Date: 3/12
TSH: 2.71 (norm 0.40-4.50 MIU/L)
(FT4 & FT3 not tested)

8/05 (age 30): Recent move out-of-state. Symptoms of debilitating fatigue, brain fog, hot flashes whenever breastfeeding, migraines, PMS irritability, etc. Previous history of miscarriage and/or heavy bleeding at 7-8 weeks during last 2 pregnancies. Weaned 2yo; took assorted vitamins.

7/08 (age 33): Huge amounts of stress for the past year. Continuing symptoms; menstrual cycles/luteal phase shortening, some depression, low body temp at times, cold, easily overwhelmed. Took OTC B-vitamins and DHEA, and hoped for the best.

2/09 (age 34): Depression and anxiety much worse; so enveloping that I couldn't see them until after seeing some improvement with progesterone cream, prescribed in 2/09. Went to doctor when frequent depression convinced me I had to do something. Continuing symptoms; low blood pressure at times, especially in summer/heat; low blood sugar at times, especially with caffeine; insomnia, especially before period; lactose-intolerance a new issue. After 6 weeks on progesterone cream (20mg/day), began seeing tremendous improvement; anxiety and anger returned if I ran out. Using Jarrow-brand PS-100 to help with insomnia.

1/10 (age 35): Added prescribed DHEA and hydrocortisone (5ml) to regimen, with good improvement in remaining symptoms. (Did saliva hormone & cortisol testing. Thyroid hormones not tested.)

5/10 (age 35): Fell and broke left hip.

10/11 (age 37): Finally got a doctor to agree to a DEXA bone scan: T-score of -1.6 (diagnosis: osteopenia, a precursor to osteoporosis). Increased Vit. D (blood level was 30), added calcium, and weight-bearing exercise routine (still working on getting that done regularly).

At this point doctor started lowering hydrocortisone dose: from 5mg to 3mg, then in 6 months 3 mg to 2 mg, then in 6 months 2 mg to 1 mg. Every time dosage is lowered, anxiety symptoms return to varying degrees for a couple of months before things level out again; have had to use anti-anxiety med, then wean off. Currently using essential oils for cleansing and adrenal support, and have not needed anti-anxiety med.

Current: Continuing symptoms are migraine headaches, which no longer respond to excedrin (I take imitrex/alleve/sudafed for them) (triggered by sinus congestion, eyestrain, end/beginning of menstrual cycle, and/or stress); occasional heart palpitations (last about a minute, then go away); increasingly short menstrual cycles (last one 21 days) of irregular length (anywhere from 22 to 29 over the last year, average 24/25 days); periods that completely stop for about 24 hrs on the 3rd or 4th day, then start up again; some problems with orthostatic low blood pressure, esp when hot out, but not as much as before treatment for adrenal fatigue.

A friend and I were discussing hypothyroid, and she thought that a TSH level chronically above 2.0 could signal a problem. Other than the cyclical migraines & short menstrual cycles, I'm not sure I really have any hypothyroid symptoms; it's difficult to tell what the crossover is between adrenal & thyroid issues. And despite weight gain being a symptom of both adrenal issues and hypothyroid, I have never had any problems with that; sometimes I struggle with keeping weight on. (I am 5'5" and weigh 113 lbs.)

Should I leave well-enough alone? Pursue more thyroid testing? If so, what should be tested, and how? Thanks.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-25-2013 at 12:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
(male)

rather HB User
Re: Do I need to treat thyroid too, or is it enough to treat the adrenal fatigue?

You must test it and after that get the treatment.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
(female)

granolamama HB User
Re: Do I need to treat thyroid too, or is it enough to treat the adrenal fatigue?

Yes, I do realize that you can't treat without first testing. I was really hoping for some advice as to whether or not to pursue more testing, what to test for, and how thyroid issues relate to adrenal issues, etc. Anyone?

Old 01-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
(male)

at282000 HB User

Hello,

I'm sorry I don't know about the adrenal issue but I have learned TSH "normally" should be below two. Yours seems to indicate either your free T4 and fee T3 may be low, given the numbers and symptoms you discussed. Seems like testing the TSH, free T4, free T3, TPO antibodies, and Tg antibodies would be a good idea.

best of luck,

at

The Following User Says Thank You to at282000 For This Useful Post:
granolamama (01-27-2013)
Reply Reply