It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
low magnesium

hi there,

anybody else dealing with low magnesium (and thyroid issues of course), in this whole journey it's the first time that my magnesium seems to be below the ranges. Yep I even do supplement, although I admit lately I slacked a bit in that regard...

all the information is dearly appreciated.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
(male)

at282000 HB User
Re: low magnesium

Lisa,
I found this information on another board. You may or may not be familure with it. I'm guessing that you are, but here it goes.

"Magnesium affects your thyroid production. It helps your thyroid respond properly to TSH. Everyone seems to have about the same level of magnesium in the blood. However, in hypos, almost all of it is unbound. Our bodies bind the magnesium before using it, so unbound means unavailable in magnesium terms. Normal people have some bound and hypers have a lot bound. So for us hypos, magnesium isn't available. After administering thyroid hormone, hypos started peeing out tons of magnesium. I don't know what that means, but Scott seems to think there is some hidden feedback loop going on with magnesium and thyroid function. Thyroid hormone seems to allow our bodies to bind magnesium and use it, and magnesium seems to increase thyroid hormone production. Most of this research was done in the 1040's through 1960's. Its old and a lot was done with armour. They were treating goiters with magnesium, and it worked. Why does magnesium help adrenals? It helps increase potassium absorption. It is also a band aid for low functioning adrenals. In adrenal insufficiency, your muscles go magnesium deficient. Taking magnesium gets some more into your muscles to stop the pain and cramping. I found magnesium really helped with my anxiety. I'm guessing that has to do with increasing the potassium levels indirectly."

I also read that a diet rich in leafy green vegies, meat and orange juice will help replenish the magnesium. Hope this helps a little. I had no idea it was so important.

Arron

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

thank you very much.

I'm aware it's very important for our body, also for fatigue, mescle pains, dealing with stress and so on. I've got no idea and don't understand why mine all of a sudden is too low though, it never has been and although I dare to forget my supplement now and then, I even supplement magnesium. strange imo

Old 01-26-2013, 02:39 AM   #4
(female)

ellabekar HB User

A magnesium test checks the level of magnesium in the blood. Magnesium is an important electrolyte needed for proper muscle, nerve, and enzyme function.

The Following User Says Thank You to ellabekar For This Useful Post:
lisa789 (01-26-2013)
Reply Reply