It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
(female)

ackermom760 HB User
Smile TSH 0.450/ Need help / input PLEASE!

Hi. A little history - had a miscarriage in July, in mid August started having anxiety, so was prescribed an AD. Switched ADs in October. Was still not feeling great in late November. Had insomnia (AD was not an SSRI), depression , general unwell feeling, nervous, jittery inside. Decided to have bloodwork done (novel thought) and TSH came back low. 0.413 with a range of 0.450-4.5. Other levels (T-3, T-4) were in normal range.
General Doc didn't catch this, and in January, when I went to see the psychiatrist about the AD, she looked at the lab work and diagnosed beginnings of hyperthyroidism.
Started fish oil, Vitamin E, JNK capsules, along with prenatal vitamin.
I went to a new general doc two weeks later (mid January), and had more blood work done. According to doc, this one came back normal - I am in the bottom of normal. 0.450 with a range of 0.450-4.5. So general doc says I'm fine, lab work came back normal. I am still having the nervousness, jitters, and just don't feel Great. Do I just live like this?
any thoughts? Is this all in my head? Should I be feeling great at 0.450? I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this. I don't know what to ask the doc for next. Thanks!

Old 01-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User
Re: TSH 0.450/ Need help / input PLEASE!

Welcome to the board although I'm sorry for the reason you're here.

Let me start by telling you how sorry I am about the miscarriage. hugs.

As far as thyroid goes, you want to have the actual thyroid hormone levels (FT4 and FT3) tested too (yes even if they were still within normal before, you want to have them tested every time), you also want to have the antibodies done, both for hashimoto: antiTPO and antiTG and those for Graves (that would be TSI or TSHreceptor antibodies).

without all those results, I don't belief a doctor can make a knowledgeable determination on the thyroid status and should say all is fine while you're symptomatic (unfortunately it's all too common, so for what it's worth you're not alone).
So no don't give up, ask your doctor to test for those things, if he/she is not willing you might consider consulting another doctor.

ps: within ranges if it's near the high end of the ranges and too high for you, you'll be symptomatic. ranges is a standard on paper, our body's don't necessary comply with that paper.

hang in there

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
(female)

ackermom760 HB User

To update you - I had an ultrasound and the doc called this weekend to say they found a nodule and want me to do a biopsy. Can nodules cause the hyperthyroid symptoms?
I got a copy of the lab work from my GP and I misunderstood him on the TSH - here is what the results were:
Free Thyroxine Index- 1.8 - range 1.2-4.9
T3 Uptake - 31 - range 24-39
Thryoxine (T4) - 5.7 - range 4.5 - 12.0
TSH - 0.867 - range .450-4.500

Any additional thoughts?

Old 01-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

I'm not all that knowledgeable on nodules, hope others will join the conversation who are, but to my knowledge it depends from the nature of the nodule.

As for your lab results, where you on any thyroid medication (or antithyroid drugs) before these labs were done. 2 things 1) Free thyroxine (FT4) is a good one but T3 uptake and T4 are pretty much useles. and 2) although your TSH is low your FT4 indicates hypoT 3) I'd ask to have antibodies tested both for graves (TSI or TSHreceptor antibodies) and hashis (antithyroglobuline and anti-TPO).

Reply Reply

Tags
fish oil, hyperthyroid, tsh