It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
(female)

Ndb76 HB User
When to take armour

When is the best time to take your armour?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
(female)

brusselsgriffon HB User
Re: When to take armour

First thing in am - with water - no food for an hour.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
(female)

Ndb76 HB User

I did that, but I tend to miss more doses. So I thought taking it at night would be better.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
(female)

brusselsgriffon HB User

It needs to be on any empty stomach ( 2 - 3 hours after a meal) and away from calcium rich liquid/food, iron and fiber. The T3 in the armour has short life once orally taken - and does keep some people awake - as it can provide a boost of energy.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Synthetic T4 meds (like Synthroid) can be taken at night. But as mentioned, the T3 in Armour is mostly gone within about 6 hours of taking the pill. If you take it at night, it could interrupt your sleep. Plus, you'll get no benefit from that T3 during the next day when you need it most.

Try to develop a better system for remembering it. Use a pill organizer box and keep it where you'll see it first thing upon awakening... like the nightstand, or the bathroom vanity. My own sits on the corner of my dresser that I see on the way to the bathroom upon rising. (The bathroom isn't exactly the best place to store meds, due to the damp environment. But if you use a 7-day pill box but keep the bottle somewhere dry and cool, it shouldn't lose much potency in that short a time.) If you have a smart phone, can you set a daily alarm reminder on it? There are ways... You just have to figure out what works best for you.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
(female)

beachbum75 HB User

Is Armour hard to find? My doctor said I will probably have a hard time finding a pharmacy that carries it.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Not here in St. Louis. Any pharmacy in the US should be able to get it. Beware of an MD who tries to discourage you from having natural thyroid medication by telling you 'stories' about it.
Besides "It's no longer made", you may hear:
"It's old-fashioned."
"It's dirty."
"It's unreliably potent."
"It's dangerous."
"It will give you mad cow disease."

What all that really means is, "I'm incredibly ignorant about the proper use of natural thyroid medication."
So, beware.

Reply Reply