It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
(female)

NDMomOf3 HB User
Are These Numbers Hypo?

My eleven year old daughter has abnormal thyroid labs. In trying to find some answers her Dr. was wondering if my husband or I have had our thyroid panel ran - to see if we have simular results. I had mine tested about a year ago, due to difficulty losing weight, dry skin, and dry splittling nails, and other symptoms. At the time I was told the results were normal. I didn't know which tests they ran and just trusted the "normal". In trying to get to the bottom of my daughter's issues. I called today to find out what my actual tests and numbers were:

TSH 4.05 (.34 - 5.60)
FT4 .76 (.58 - 1.64)

Both TSH and FT4 fall in the "normal" range, however I still have symptoms of hypo.

Any Thoughts?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #2
(female)

mayfliesmayfly HB Usermayfliesmayfly HB User
Re: Are These Numbers Hypo?

I would say they are and would recommend getting tested again to see where you're at now.

The Following User Says Thank You to mayfliesmayfly For This Useful Post:
NDMomOf3 (01-30-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
(female)

Zane21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDMomOf3 View Post
My eleven year old daughter has abnormal thyroid labs. In trying to find some answers her Dr. was wondering if my husband or I have had our thyroid panel ran - to see if we have simular results. I had mine tested about a year ago, due to difficulty losing weight, dry skin, and dry splittling nails, and other symptoms. At the time I was told the results were normal. I didn't know which tests they ran and just trusted the "normal". In trying to get to the bottom of my daughter's issues. I called today to find out what my actual tests and numbers were:

TSH 4.05 (.34 - 5.60)
FT4 .76 (.58 - 1.64)

Both TSH and FT4 fall in the "normal" range, however I still have symptoms of hypo.

Any Thoughts?
My goodness....a TSH of 4 and you have hypo symptoms says to me that you are hypo. When I am at a 4, I am a HOT MESS.

The Following User Says Thank You to Zane21 For This Useful Post:
NDMomOf3 (01-30-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
(female)

NDMomOf3 HB User

Had my lads re-run this week, and found that I have a Low Vit. D; of course they said Thyroid was normal

TSH: 3.79 ( .34 - 5.6)
FT4: .9 (.58 - 1.64)
Vit. D: 18 (30 - 80)

They want me to take a prescription Vit D for 8 weeks then come back in to recheck labs. I know that the Low Vit D can cause the Hypo symptoms I have been having. Can the Low Vit D also cause the slight hypo labs? Or is it more likely that the slight hypo labs are causing the Low Vit D?

These labs were run by my Dr's NP - Should I schedule an appointment with my Dr. Or just wait till labs are re-run in 8 weeks and see were things are at that point?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Many hypo people have low D, but low D would not cause the kind of thyroid levels you have.

You are hypothyroid, based on TSH consistently above 2 and low-range FT4. (Most importantly, low FT4.) You just need a doctor who understands it.

Prescription vitamin D is usually D2, which is junk. Over the counter D3 is much more likely to benefit you. I've seen a couple of instances here where D2 did nothing to raise levels, but there was quick improvement with the D3. When my low D was discovered, my MD told me to take 2000/day of OTC D3. After 6 weeks, it hadn't helped, so I increased it to 5000 units/day, which did the trick. I've now dropped back to 2000 for maintenance, and it's holding steady. According to the vitamin D council, safe dosage is up to 5000 units/day.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
NDMomOf3 (03-04-2013)
Reply Reply