It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
(female)

momamia4 HB User
Question Can anyone interpret my results?? Please??

So, I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism when I was 12, 18 years ago (I am a 30 yo female). After reading through these posts, I am realizing how little I know about Hypo T and how frustrated I am that my dr didn't do anything more. I have all the characteristic symptoms of hypo T and have never, despite being medicated, lived without them. My doctors have always told me that my TSH was within normal limits, so there is nothing more they could do other than treat each symptom individually; aka more medications other than what I really needed. Thankfully, I finally realized that I need to go to another doctor and have an appointment in a few weeks. Here are my lab results from my last blood draw (I went to see a different doc for these, but couldn't afford to pay her out of pocket for any additional treatment):
TSH 3.07mIU/L (0.40-4.50)
Free T4 0.9ng/dL (0.8-1.8)
Free T3 2.5pg/mL (2.3-4.2)
Reverse T3 18ng/dL (11-32)
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies <10IU/mL (<35)

I am *very* interested to see what anyone has to say. I am eagerly awaiting my appointment.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Can anyone interpret my results?? Please??

Hello Welcome to Thyroid Board
It's obvious you need a dose increase, your thyroid levels would be too low for most people. When on hypoT medication one should aim to get one's TSH around 1 (or below 2 at least, a few people need it to be higher, many have it even lower) and those freeTs around midrange or higher. I'm sure your symptoms will improve with a (moderate) dose increase. I hope your new doctor is willing to work with you. Good luck

Last edited by FinnMaid; 02-01-2013 at 06:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

Right, like Finn said, you shouldn't have a tsh of 3.07 if you take a replacement and that FT3 is really too low, along with the FT4, especially for a 30 year old.How much are you on?

Old 02-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by momamia4 View Post
So, I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism when I was 12, 18 years ago (I am a 30 yo female). After reading through these posts, I am realizing how little I know about Hypo T and how frustrated I am that my dr didn't do anything more. I have all the characteristic symptoms of hypo T and have never, despite being medicated, lived without them. My doctors have always told me that my TSH was within normal limits, so there is nothing more they could do other than treat each symptom individually; aka more medications other than what I really needed. Thankfully, I finally realized that I need to go to another doctor and have an appointment in a few weeks. Here are my lab results from my last blood draw (I went to see a different doc for these, but couldn't afford to pay her out of pocket for any additional treatment):

from these I say you are hypothyroid and need more supplementation.
Free T4 0.9ng/dL (0.8-1.8)you are 10% when you should be 60-80% of range. I felt like a zombie or cow patty at these levels...
Free T3 2.5pg/mL (2.3-4.2)you are at 10.5% here.. Should be 60-80% of normal range
This is good. No need to worry here.
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies <10IU/mL (<35). Some Hashimotos antibodies but not excessive in quantity or highly active.p at this time. You may have highe TGAb levels indicating Hashimotos though... With out the test you won't know.

I am *very* interested to see what anyone has to say. I am eagerly awaiting my appointment.
Overall your levels are balanced but low. In my opinion you need supplementation now not later. Good luck.

Sincerely,
MG

Old 02-05-2013, 01:55 PM   #5
(female)

momamia4 HB User

I do totally feel like a zombie. It's horrible! I've been fighting with my dr's for years trying to get an increase to help with my symptoms. I am currently taking 75mcg. It is actually the same dose I've been on since I was originally diagnosed, they've *never* changed it. My primary doctor would only ever test TSH, which is why I tried going to another doctor (the one I got these results from). I am very excited to see what my new doctor will do. Thanks for your help, I'm feeling much more prepared for my appointment with this information in hand. I'll be sure to request that the TgAB levels are tested.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

mkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB Usermkgbrook HB User

Glad I could help. Good luck and tell us how it goes! I truly hope you have found a good thyroid savvy md. Only a follow unvisited will tell you the truth.

MG

Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
(female)

momamia4 HB User

Went to my new dr and also had a follow up visit. She switched me immediately to Armour 1 grain. My new lab results are:
TSH 2.16 mIU/L (she said she wants it below 2)
FT4 1.1 ng/dL (0.8-1.8)
FT3 2.7 pg/mL (2.3-4.2)
Reverse T3 14 ng/dL (7-24)
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies <10 IU/mL (<35)
Thyroglobulin Antibodies <20 IU/mL (<20)

She also tested a ton of other things, which I can share if you like. I am slowly starting to feel better, I think. I'm not sure if it is psychosomatic or what. She also found that my Pregnenolone is really low at 15 ng/dL. She said it should be between 100-200 and is indicative of adrenal fatigue. My vitamin D is also low at 28 ng/mL and she said it should be twice that. She is very knowledgeable and very open to working with Armour. She put me on a Iodine supplement also. So far, so good!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: momamia4
FinnMaid (03-05-2013), Mamaof4girls (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sounds good to me the only thing i object to is the iodine supplement. Did she test your iodine levels? Were they low too?

The reason i would hesitate on the iodine supplementation is because It looks like you have HASHIMOTOs. Given the antibody results. Your hashis is not excessively active right now but it can perk up at any time. Iodine supplementation is to hashis like the red flag is to a bull. I had to completely eliminate iodine from my diet just to slow down the destruction of my thyroid. And man did I miss my salt. Adrenal failure means you have license to be a salt aholic.

I do not think 1 grain of Armour is your optimal dosing. I think that you will need some more. However the three fold increase you are experiences has to be a relief. Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 03-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB UserBran'sNana HB User

I'm glad you found another doctor!The problem is with most docs is they put you on a dose and keep you there forever. If your thyroid is being slowly destroyed by Hashi's, why wouldn't people need a dose increase as time went on?

Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
(female)

momamia4 HB User
Newest Lab Results

5/1/12 Results
Free T4 0.9ng/dL (0.8-1.8)
Free T3 2.5pg/mL (2.3-4.2)
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies <10IU/mL (<35)

3/5/13 Results
TSH 2.16 mIU/L (she said she wants it below 2)
FT4 1.1 ng/dL (0.8-1.8)
FT3 2.7 pg/mL (2.3-4.2)
Reverse T3 14 ng/dL (7-24)
Thyroid Peroxidase Antibodies <10 IU/mL (<35)
Thyroglobulin Antibodies <20 IU/mL (<20)

4/22/13 Results
TSH 1.00 mIU/L
FT4 0.7 ng/dL (0.8-1.8)
FT3 3.6 pg/mL (2.3-4.2)

Now, I am curious to see what you have to say because my dr decided to increase my Armour to 90mg from 60mg. My body is having a rough go of it and I've been experiencing a lot of hyper symptoms (Heat intolerance, Nervousness, Insomnia, Increased bowel movements, Weight loss). I'm not sure if this is just because my body is adjusting to the increase, or if I am actually over medicated. I'm also wondering if maybe instead of continuing to increase the Armour, we should consider adding a small dose of Levothyroxine to bring up my T4?? What do you think? Thanks!

Old 05-15-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi again! It looks like your FT3 initially went up after awhile on the Armour to 3.6, then a little after that,the beginning of May, it went down again. The FT4 does remain kind of low on Armour. It shouldn't be too low though. I would think the whole thing means you still aren't on enough but some people have a hard time with the T-3 in Armour. If the hyper symptoms last for 2 weeks then I would say it may be too much. Then she might lower the Armour and add some T-4 med along with it. That may be a good idea like you thought too. Let us know what happens!

Reply Reply

Tags
hypothyroidism