It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 07:16 AM   #1
(female)

new girl HB User
Smile 21 year old female sooooo confused !! :(

Hi I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism.. (blood test showed it was very hyper).. neck swelling and all the other symptoms. I was put on 20 mg of tablets to treat hyper however follow up blood test showed it was not enough so it was increased. 6 weeks later blood test showed it was now very underactive (hypo) and tablets were reduced. The doctor also mentioned about being highly positive for antibodys? as an antibody blood test was also done. to be honest I have no idea what is going on and why it changed from hyper to hypo pretty quickly. I don't really feel good sometimes and have to wait approx 3 months to see anybody. I would be happy if someone could shed some light as to why is going on. Thank you oh and ps I think only in one blood test my TSH was normal however that did not last. ATM it is about 16.

Last edited by new girl; 02-03-2013 at 07:22 AM.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
(female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User
Re: 21 year old female sooooo confused !! :(

Hi, welcome to the board, I don't know much at all about hyper as I am hypo, no doubt someone more in the know will pop in and comment soon!. Your TSH of 16 does show hypo though, this was probably a result of the thyroid being suppressed to much on 20mg and your doc was right to reduce it. High antibodies means it is an autoimmune issue and possibly Graves' disease if you are hyper. However, hashimotos which is autoimmune hypo can swing between both, it is very early days in your treatment and can take a while to become stable.
You and your doctor will need to work together to find the right med level to control it. It is a good idea to read up on what you can so that you have an idea of what is going on. Doctors are well known for treating only TSH levels and once taking tablets for thyroid starts it is generally unreliable after that and thr FREE T4 and FT3 are a better guide to work from, though I am assuming it is the same for hyper as for hypo.

Do not take your tablets before your blood test as this will skew your results.

I hope someone more in the know for hyper treatment can help you out! And that you have a good doc who can manage this for you, but do find out as much as possible as you will need to be very active in the managment of it. It is very treatable but can sometimes be a bit of a long haul finding the right dose! You are in the right place for help here! Best wishes

The following user gives a hug of support to Surfing4answers:
new girl (02-07-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Surfing4answers For This Useful Post:
new girl (02-03-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply