It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
(female)

perelka HB User
Hair loss and thyroid

Hi everyone.

June 18th of 2012 marked my last day of a 6 month regimen of Accutane, and the beginning of significant diffuse hair loss. It is now month 7 and I have 45-50% of my hair left.

A week ago, I had a comprehensive test done because I'm sick of crying and being told by my primary that everything is fine. I would really appreciate any input on the following results that were flagged:

Cortisol, AM --> 21.5 ug/dL (6.2-19.4)
Cortisol, PM --> 10.3 ug/dL (2.3-11.9)

TSH --> 3.080 uIU/mL (0.450-4.500)
Thyroxine (T4) --> 13.0 ug/dL (4.5-12.0)
Trilodothyronine, Free, Serum (T3) --> 3.7 pg/mL (2.0-4.4)
T4, Free (Direct) --> 1.55 ng/dL (0.82-1.77)
Reverse T3, Serum --> 31.0 ng/dL (9.2-24.1)

Vitmain D, 25-Hydroxy --> 28.7 ng/mL (30.0-100.0)

Iron, serum --> 105 ug/dL (35-155)
Ferritin, serum --> 18 ng/mL (13-150)

Old 02-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
(female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User
Re: Hair loss and thyroid

Hi Perelka, looking at your bloods, your cortisol is high am and low PM which shows adrenal stress, this can affect the thyroid and cause RT3,and the RT3 is also high, your conversion ratio between FT3 and RT3 is 11 and ideally should be approx 20 (that shows you are getting enough T3 into your cells.)
Your TSH would also be considered above normal showing hypo, most healthy people have approx 1-1.4.
While your iron is good your iron stores are on the very low side of normal, have you had B12 levels checked, or iron saturation tests etc done?

If your primary is not willing to look at the relationship between struggling adrenals (high cortisol suggests they are under stress and stress can cause this too!) low iron stores elevated TSH along eith high RT3 then I would advise looking for a doc. Who is thyroid savvy but the very first thing I would do is get your adrenals sorted with a naturopath because this alone can help the thyroid and even if it doesn't bring it back into line properly, it will go a very long way to getting optimal results from possible future thyroid treatment.
Thyroid meds show contraindications where adrenal insufficiency is present.
You might also find a naturopath will cover the whole picture by sorting adrenals and thyroid so look up a good one, especially if they prescribe dessicated thyroid ...google reviews in your area or ask at your compounding pharmacy for names of these hi prescribe it.
I hope you find some answers soon!

Last edited by Surfing4answers; 02-04-2013 at 07:50 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Surfing4answers For This Useful Post:
perelka (02-04-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
(female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User

P.s. your vit. D is also low, consider getting advise on supplementing this also. Over the counter D3 is far better than prescribed D2 that doctors tend to prescribe. It would be wise to start that ASAP along with iron, but see someone to get an overall diagnosis.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
(female)

perelka HB User

I just put in an order for a b12 and transferrin test, as well as a thyroid antibody test. What is really confusing is that 6 months ago, I had the following results:

Iron, total --> 160 mcg/dL (40-175)
Tibc --> 425 mcg/dL (250-450)
Transferrin Saturation --> 38% (15-50)
Ferritin --> 26 ng/mL (10-154)
Vitamin B12, serum --> 849 pg/mL (200-1100)

so I began taking iron supplements. Now, 5 months later, my iron and ferritin are even lower than prior to taking iron supplements. I'm beyond confused. Hopefully my upcoming transferrin and vitamin b12 will shine some slight on the situation because I don't understand why my ferritin levels are low.

On a side note, I am on the Nuvaring. It is a fairly low-dose contraceptive, but it may have caused the elevated tsh levels?

I just need my hair loss to stop.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

telus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB User

Your thyroid results are conflicting:
TSH being high would normally indicate hypothyroidism,
but T4, FT4, FT3 and RT3 are all very high, and would normally indicate hyperthyroidism.
High RT3 acts as a block to T3 and can give you hypothyroid symptoms.

Cortisol is high.

I do not have any solutions. I hope your doctor can figure out whether your high cortisol is making your thyroid go wonky, or whether your thyroid is making your cortisol go wonky, and knows what to do about it.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Your very low ferritin is likely a contributing factor in the hair loss. It should be in the 50-ish part of its range.

I hope you can get the right treatment. Don't stop looking for an MD who will see the total picture, because it appears you have multiple things going on with your endocrine system.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
(female)

perelka HB User

Thank you everyone for your responses. You've provided me with more information than any doctor I have seen thus far unfortunately. Thank you so much.

I just received some other results from my thyroid anti-body lab work:
Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab--> 7 IU/mL (0-34)
Antithyroglobulin Ab--> <20 IU/mL (0-40)

Also, I'm not sure if the following provides more insight, but:
Reticulocyte Count--> 0.4% (0.6-2.6)
Monocytes(Absolute)--> 0.4 x10E3/uL (0.1-1.0)
Lymphs (Absolute)--> 2.2 x10E3/uL (0.7-4.5)
Neutrophils (Absolute)--> 2.3 x10E3/uL (1.8-7.8)
Basos-->0% (0-3)
Eos-->2% (0-7)
Monocytes--> 8 (4-13)
Lymphs--> 44 (14-46)
Neutrophils-->46% (40-74)
Platelets-->166 x10E3/uL (140-415)

Also, I am 5'5", 120lbs. I was 145lbs a year ago, but I wound up losing 25lbs after I stopped exercising 5x a week. Go figure.

Surfing4Answers, I live in NY and I'm not sure how to go about finding a doctor who would be willing to prescribe dessicated thyroid. If you have any recommendations, I would greatly appreciate your help. And how do I go about calling my pharmacy to acquire that information? I'm not sure how to format the question.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
(female)

Hi Perelka, all you have to do is google top thyroid docs New York. Mary shomons thyroid info site lists them just click on your area and it brings them up.

Likewise with pharmacies, any that are compounding (put together custom made pills using bio identicals ) will know who prescribes, and tgese are the more forward thinking docs for thyroid.
Just approach the pharmacist, say you are new to the area and would like to find a doc who treats thyroid with NDT, would they have a list of any in the area. Then google those docs and see if any reviews come up. There are a few, I had a quick look at the site. Best wishes

Reply Reply