It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
(male)

greenec HB User
Could this be Primary Hyperparathyroidism?

I have had high calcium and low vitamin D for a long time. The main reason I found out is because I've had a problem with severe and chronic fatigue. I could sleep all day every day if I didn't take a stimulant to get me going. Another symptom I only just recognized was frequent thirst/dry-mouth/frequent urination. I always thought this was normal/the way I was. I never realized that the frequency with which I have to go (sometimes as little as every 30 minutes) is quite atypical and I'm constantly thirsty no matter how much I drink. I also noticed this thirst/dry-mouth/urination has gotten worse as time has gone on.

=====

My first set of tests was done on 2/15/2012 (nearly a full year ago). My numbers were as follows:

Vitamin D, 25-OH, Total: 23 (30-100 ng/mL)

Calcium: 9.9 (8.9-10.4 mg/dL)

Calcium, Serum: 11.1 (8.7-10.2 mg/dL)

=====

Now my new numbers taken as of 1/10/2013:

Vitamin D, Total: 23 (30-100 ng/mL)

Calcium: 10.4 (8.6-10.3 mg/dL)

=====

I got some tests re-done and new ones taken and the results as of 1/30/2013 were:

Vitamin D, Total: 25 (30-100 ng/mL)

Calcium: 10.3 (8.6-10.3 mg/dL)

Calcium, Ionized: 5.2 (4.8-5.6 mg/dL)

PTH INT: 19 (10-65 pg/mL)

====================

So basically for as long as at least a year (symptoms were assumed neurological the prior years until they worsened and neurological medication did nothing) I have had high calcium and low vitamin D. I had a pretty crummy doctor in NJ and never even knew these things were a problem till I moved to Florida. My current doctor has yet to contact me regarding the most recent set of tests saying they had not come in yet although I accessed the results online which are the ones from 1/30/13.

After receiving the results from 1/10/13 I did my own research and came across PHPT and assumed I had finally found an answer. My numbers fit right in the range and my common symptoms the worst of them being extreme fatigue and frequent thirst/urination fit the bill as well as a host of other problems such as my memory (that has been getting worse and worse the last few years) and my frequent muscle aches. I've also noticed even simple things like chewing start to hurt for me now (which I could be projecting here, but I thought the weakening bones might be causing that, maybe I'm stretching it too far).

I thought we had hit the nail on the head with PHPT but as you can see my PTH is in the low/normal range. Do you think this could still be PHPT? Does this seem indicative of another illness? With the new info regarding my PTH (first time having this number taken) I'm not sure what to think anymore. I have a lot of other numbers too but I only posted what I thought was pertinent.

I know I've said a mouthful but my biggest question is can you still have PHPT if your PTH is in the low/normal range but you still display high calcium and low vitamin D? My followup question would be if this isn't PHPT then what could it be?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
(female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User
Re: Could this be Primary Hyperparathyroidism?

Hi there, it's an interesting question which I really can't answer with my own experience except to say that hypoparathyroidism would be more indicative of low PTH tests as far as I know.
You have in range results although low normal for PTH. Your latest test results are also improving, calcium just coming back into range, ionised is good d3 still low but improving so all heading the right way, are you doing anything to help these?

You should probably look at supplementing your D3, it is an incredibly important component which may help alleviate some of your symptoms.
Also, magnesium is quite good for muscle relaxation and restfulness along with a whole host of other benefits.
I presume when first looking into this you most likely had iron, ferritin and saturation tests done?
Have you had any antibodies tested for thyroid/diabetes or other auto immune disorders done?
Your symptoms could be in line with any of these or other diseases and looking into a variety of options might be a good way to go if you haven't already done so.
Checking cortisol and DHEA for adrenal fatigue is another option.
I am sorry I cannot comment much on your main question, hopefully someone else with knowledge in this area will pop in and comment! I hope you find some answers.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
(male)

greenec HB User

From what I can gather everything else from the tests done must have been fine as I haven't heard much. I had a plethora of tests done so I can't remember exactly what all was ran. The only other abnormality was for the longest time my ANA was 1:640 at a titter of 40 (this is quite high) and was for a long time however only just recently when I had it retested (on 1/10 and 1/30) it came back negative.

As I said in the main post the biggest and most prominent symptoms are foremost my chronic and severe fatigue (daily fatigue only getting better with medication) and also constant thirst/dry-mouth and frequent urination coupled with that. The secondary symptoms are foggy mind sometimes (mostly related to memory) and frequently/easily sore/bruised. I believe I was tested for diabetes and came back negative.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
(female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User

it would be a good idea to get a copy of these tests and see exactly what was done and what your ranges are. perhaps post them on here with ranges, and maybe someone can help with them. some labs use ranges that are out of date, some doctors believe very low but in range and very high but in range are also ok, they really aren't!

it might also be a good idea to see a naturopath and get answers from a different direction.

Reply Reply

Tags
calcium, hypercalcemia, hyperparathyroidism, pth, vitamin d deficiency