It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #1
(female)

Tracy4488 HB User
Can someone answer my question about meds?

I started at 50 mg of Levothyroxine. My thyroid was steady at about 3.0. Then it jumped up to 6.0 after about 6 months. I was bumped up to 75 mg and it came down to 3.5. Now 6 months later its back up to 5.74 so the dr uped it to 88 mg. I am wondering why she didn't bumped it to 100 mg or would that be too high? Is it normal for it to keep fluxuating?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Can someone answer my question about meds?

Unfortunately, it isn't unusual for TSH to fluctuate without any relation to dose. That's why smart thyroid doctors treat according to the actual thyroid hormone levels of free T4 and free T3 instead of the inaccurate pituitary hormone, TSH.

There's no way to know what dose is too low or too high without knowing the free T levels. And it's hard to know the rationale of a doctor who uses only TSH for dosing.
Does she test for T4 and/or T3 at all? Do you have those levels to post?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
(female)

Tracy4488 HB User
Re: Can someone answer my question about meds?

My last T4 testings were normal(ranging from 1.10 to 1.25). My thyroid peroxidase was 10. These were from last year. They never tested T3.

Reply Reply