It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
(female)

Alnnurs HB User
Help with my lab results

Hello all. I've been having symptoms and some concerns with having hypothyroidism. I had my new doctor do a bunch of labs on me. Last May my doctor got a TSH level on me after I was having panic attacks and bad anxiety, exhaustion and insomnia. It was somewhat related to working night shift as well. Anyhow my TSH in May was 2.86. Now my TSH is 3.41, FT4 1.1, and FT3 2.99. She did not want to check my antibodies. She also mentioned, before my lab work was done today that giving me thyroid medication will likely make my anxiety worse. I'm still awaiting lab results on vitamin b12, bmp, and cholesterol.
I'm guessing she feels this is normal lab values but I don't. Any thoughts on this? Also does taking thyroid medication make anxiety worse? Thanks so much.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Help with my lab results

Hello I think it's more likely that your anxiety gets better with proper hypoT treatment, anxiety is not just hyperthyroid related. I too have had those type of symptoms you mention with hypoT. You didn't post reference ranges for your labs but your TSH clearly indicates that you're on the hypothyroid side and it's no wonder if you have hypoT related symptoms. Those free Ts usually need to be somewhere in the upper half of the range, I bet your FT4 is closer to low third.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 02-13-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
(female)

Alnnurs HB User

Sorry for not posting ranges. Here they are with lab ranges

TSH 3.41 (0.35-5.5)
FT4 1.1 (0.7-1.7)
FT3 2.99 (2.3-4.2)

Old 02-13-2013, 12:43 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Ok, so your freeTs really are below midrange. I think you should get a trial period of meds to see if that'll help with your symptoms, no way of knowing before giving it a try.

Old 02-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
(female)

MichelleThyroid HB User

I know the feeling. I have been hypothyroid for over 20years and take medication daily. I have had the usual uphill battles with weight, fatigue, dry skin etc. However the beginning of this year, symptoms changed dramatically. I was very anxious and had Insomnia. Went to the GP because I thought I needed to reduce Eltroxin, but my TSH came in at 16 and t4 10. Gp upped med to 200mg of eltroxin daily. Anxiety levels have decreased, Insomnia still battle with. Now 6 weeks on, another blood test has my TSH at 0.07 and my T4 at 25!!! GP lowered dose back to 150mg daily. My concern is that the anxious feeling will hit again as my levels goes up! Never knew you could feel anxious with Hypothyroidism. Our GPs here, do no other tests to figure out why Im going up and down like a yoyo!

Old 02-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #6
(female)

Alnnurs HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleThyroid View Post
I know the feeling. I have been hypothyroid for over 20years and take medication daily. I have had the usual uphill battles with weight, fatigue, dry skin etc. However the beginning of this year, symptoms changed dramatically. I was very anxious and had Insomnia. Went to the GP because I thought I needed to reduce Eltroxin, but my TSH came in at 16 and t4 10. Gp upped med to 200mg of eltroxin daily. Anxiety levels have decreased, Insomnia still battle with. Now 6 weeks on, another blood test has my TSH at 0.07 and my T4 at 25!!! GP lowered dose back to 150mg daily. My concern is that the anxious feeling will hit again as my levels goes up! Never knew you could feel anxious with Hypothyroidism. Our GPs here, do no other tests to figure out why Im going up and down like a yoyo!
I feel your pain. I often feel like a yoyo. Sleep helps a little. But if I get less than 8 hours I don't have the energy to make it through the work day. I'm not even stressed but feel anxious for no reason especially when I'm tired... Which is most of the time. Can't really drink alcohol too much anymore because it wipes me out. I can barely keep up with my household because I always feel so run down. Can't drink caffeine either because it triggers more anxiety and headaches. So frustrated. My doc agreed to check my thyroid antibodies at least to rule it out. I'm going today to the lab.

Anyone get allergies and breakouts as a result of thyroid issue? A friend said I should get my hormones checked.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:09 PM   #7
(female)

Alnnurs HB User

Okay so I asked my doc to get my antibodies tested. She said everything is normal and had to ask for results over the phone. She only did my TPOab, but I asked for both. I was told my result is 39. Is that normal? I demanded to get referred to an endo. I feel my battle beginning....

Old 03-01-2013, 11:33 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alnnurs View Post
I was told my result is 39. Is that normal?
It depends on the reference range. In our lab 39 woud be elevated because the high end of normal is 6, but if in your lab it should be below 60 your level would be considered normal (however in this case you would still have some antibodies which might still be a sign of Hashi's). Hang in there

Reply Reply

Tags
anxiety disorder, thyroid