It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
(female)

Nona33 HB User
without thyroid meds

I've had hypothyroidism for a few years, been taking levothyroxine 50. I have been not takign it for a few months as my medical ran out and cannot afford it, nor, sadly, can I go to the dr. and see what my levels are. ANy symptoms I should be watching out for? Any damages I am risking?

Old 02-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #2
(female)

northfortyfarm HB Usernorthfortyfarm HB User
Re: without thyroid meds

If I even lower my dose from 125 to 112, I have horrible brain fog & lethargy within a week to 10 days. Maybe if you can't feel the difference you either don't need the meds or the dose you were on was too low to make a difference. How do you feel? Did the meds help while you were on them? Do you have your previous test results?

You can get labs done on your own without a dr. in most states. I use an online company that uses the same lab my dr. does. I just go directly to the lab for the blood draw. I think it's about $45 for a tsh, $89 for tsh & free T's, $219 for everything including reverse t-3. Still helpful to have a good (stress good!) dr. to interpret the results.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
(female)

Colleenconnie HB User
Cool Re: without thyroid meds

I have ran into the same problem, I was diagnosed over 20 years ago when I was 25. I have been on synthroid since then...up until probebly the last few years, since our financial situation turned bad, to where my Primary Care Doctor refuses to see me until my bill is fully paid. So, I have been without meds for over a year....what is going to happen. I have been diagnosed as having hashemoto's disease (not sure on spelling) so I do not produce what I need. I never paid attention to the numbers, as my doctor always did it for me, and didn't seem to think it was important...but now...I sit back and think I should have really paid closer attention...well they say hind site is 50/50....So, what is going to happen....well so far I know I am always tired...no concentration, none...depression big time, every joint hurts....my hair is thinning....skin is dry....one good thing so far is I am not having a period anymore! Whether that is due to menopause or thyroid...either way...I won't complain on that...Thank God....I would love to hear feedback...peace and blessings, Colleen, middle aged lost with no direction these days.....

Old 02-19-2013, 05:05 AM   #4
(female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User

Hi nona, read colleens symptoms to give you an idea of what to look out for. You do not say if it Hashimoto's thyroiditis ? If so then the only treatment is meds.

Colleen, you have very obvious symptoms and without treatment these will get progressively worse. The only answer is properly controlled thyroid levels, untreated it can have serious consequences.

You both really need to consider your options and do your utmost to get proper monitoring and treatment. I do not know your medical system so I cannot help with ideas there, sorry.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:58 AM   #5
(female)

Colleenconnie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfing4answers View Post
Hi nona, read colleens symptoms to give you an idea of what to look out for. You do not say if it Hashimoto's thyroiditis ? If so then the only treatment is meds.

Colleen, you have very obvious symptoms and without treatment these will get progressively worse. The only answer is properly controlled thyroid levels, untreated it can have serious consequences.

You both really need to consider your options and do your utmost to get proper monitoring and treatment. I do not know your medical system so I cannot help with ideas there, sorry.
I know that but it is more of a finacial problem, and I have put my needs last. So, in the meantime is there anything I can do to increase my levels..without Dr. and meds? Colleen

Old 02-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
(female)

Colleenconnie HB User

Is there not a remedy...a natural one....to increase it, without using the composites of synthetics....I prefer to natural...that is why i am here. I must thank you for this, it really has brightened my day. I needed a bit of encouragement..a little get up of your *** and do something about it....yes, that is what this disease has done to me...unfortunately it is getting to the best of me...while I should be fighting it...it is slowly dragging me down...C

Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Since the cause of your hypoT is long-standing Hashimoto's disease, your thyroid gland is dead, or mostly so. It can't make thyroid hormone anymore, no matter how much "natural" fuel you throw at it. The only way to treat it is to provide the missing hormone you no longer get with that from a prescription. There's nothing unnatural about Synthroid; it's the same hormone your gland would make if it could. It's just made in a lab.

Sorry. There's not much way around it.

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
Colleenconnie (02-19-2013)
Reply Reply