It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
(female)

dizzyrors HB User
Tricky, tricky thyroid

My short story is, started feeling crummy a little over a year ago. Gained about 20lbs in less than a month while continuing the same diet and exercise. I worked out 4 to 5 days a week with varying degrees of moderate, intense to HARDCORE! During the weight gain time my normal 8 hours of blissful sleep changed to not being able to get to sleep and then not staying asleep. Of course I was sleepy and tired all day. I felt drained. It was worse when I worked out. I also was severly depressed. A few other things where happening too (headaches, sore throats, could not tolerate the heat). So went to 1st doc. Lots of varying meds. Sleeping pills. Anti depressants. Sleep studies. Nothing worked. 2nd doc said needed to diet and exercise. Both checked my thyroid levels said I was fine. They were 207/276 respectively. Finally asked my obgyn NP to do a full panel. TSH 3.54
free T4 .9. Sent me to Endo he agreed there was a problem. Put me on 25mg on Levothyroxin. Redid my blood work and tested for antibodies after 5wks. Results came back TSH 2.07, free T4 1.2 free T3 2.5 and TPA >1000. He diagnosed me as hypothyroid. Knew from things I read I was actually Hashimotos. Still felt crummy even though I was within normal range. He refused to listen to me, would not make any adjustments or suggestions of value because the labs said I was "fine". Husband pressed him to help me somehow and he offered me 37.5mg of Adipex. Was reluctant to take it as my weight was not my primary concern but hubby convinced me. Took it for 30 days. Lost a whopping 5 lbs. It did help a bit with my morning energy level and I did eat substantially less (however that was not a concern or problem) but by evening I was toast again. Went to local med school today. Figured suely they would be able to help. FAIL. Agreed that I had Hashimoto's. Did not feel that thyroid relpacement was my best choice. Felt there was noting wrong with my endocrine or metabolic system other than the Hashimoto's. Was strongly encouraging me to go back for another sleep study. Felt that was the root of my problems. So here I sit. Wondering if all these docs may be correct and I may just really be depressed or have a sleep disorder or it's all just in my head. I'm tired of feeling so bad all the time, but I am also tired of beating my head against the medical wall. Anyone have any thoughts? Sorry it's so longwinded.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
(female)

northfortyfarm HB Usernorthfortyfarm HB User
Re: Tricky, tricky thyroid

There are people on the board that know much more than I do, so hopefully they'll chime in. You didn't post the lab ranges for your free t's. From what people have said, they should be near the top of the range. It's hard to imagine 25 mcg as a therapeutic dose. I need 125 to function. If they back it down to 112, I'm a mess. I feel best when my tsh is quite low, less than the .45 that is considered the bottom of the range from my lab. Trying to find a dr that will consider symptoms & relief of symptoms in addition to lab tests is a challenge. Don't give up!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
(female)

dizzyrors HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by northfortyfarm View Post
There are people on the board that know much more than I do, so hopefully they'll chime in. You didn't post the lab ranges for your free t's. From what people have said, they should be near the top of the range. It's hard to imagine 25 mcg as a therapeutic dose. I need 125 to function. If they back it down to 112, I'm a mess. I feel best when my tsh is quite low, less than the .45 that is considered the bottom of the range from my lab. Trying to find a dr that will consider symptoms & relief of symptoms in addition to lab tests is a challenge. Don't give up!
I did post my Free t's. Probably just got lost in all the text. My free T4 was 1.2 and my free T3 was 2.5. My T3 was never tested before but my T4 was 0.9 before I was given the meds. BTW - the doc at the university sugested I go off the meds completely since she did not feel that my symptoms were thyroid related.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
(female)

Sorry, I meant the lab ranges for the free t's. The lab I use has a range of 2.0- 4.4 for the Free T 3 & .82-1.77 for the free T 4. If that is the same range your lab uses, you are at the bottom of the ranges & most people don't feel well unless they are at the top of the ranges.
It was suggested to me to ask my local compounding pharmacist for names of local drs that prescribe armour or cytomel to their patients. These drs are more likely to understand the complexity of thyroid issues & not just assume it's not your thyroid if your test tesults fall within the "range." I have an appt. in 2 weeks & hope the new dr is well informed & willing to help. I've been using the last 2 months to research & read the recommended books. I need to be well informed too! Good luck!

Old 02-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
(female)

dizzyrors HB User

Oh, my final numbers were the free T4 @ 1.2 with the lab's range being 0.8 - 1.8
my free T3 was 2.5 > lab's range 2.3 - 4.2. So I am kinds high with my T4 and linda low with my T3.
Good idea about asking the pharmacist. Unfortunately though, where I am from local endo pickings are slim. Most specialize in diabetes and none seem to be willing to step away from a lab report. That's why I thought going to a teaching medical center would be a good idea. I figured the Attendings would encourage their Internists to look at a paitient from all angles, not just numbers on paper. Oh yeah, did I mention that I have a family history of hypothyroidism? My paternal aunt has had it all her life.

Old 02-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
(female)

I think my mom went undiagnosed hypothyroid & ended up with early onset alzheimers. Just looking back at the issues she had makes me wonder if treatment might have given her a better life. Oh well... My kids will be well educated about hypothyroidism even if they don't want to be :-)
I didn't go with an endo. From what I read here on the board & elsewhere, they seem to be as stuck on numbers as everyone else. I'm going to see a primary care dr who has the reputation of listening & working with her patients to find solutions. Maybe that's why I had to wait 3 months for an appt. She also prescribes armour & cytomel & the addition of T3 might be what I need. I was amazed at how helpful the pharmacist was. He spent at least 15 minutes on the phone with me describing 4 possible drs- an endo, a gyn, a holistic dr & the one I called.

The Following User Says Thank You to northfortyfarm For This Useful Post:
dizzyrors (02-26-2013)
Reply Reply