It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
(female)

madonnis HB User
Question Please help with labs feel terrible but docs keeping saying normal

Hi new to this site. I have been diagnosed in late 06 with being hypothyroid because of a low normal reading on thyroid levels. Honestly i would not have even found that out had i not been discussing symptoms with my sister who has been on meds for hypo for several years now. I asked doctor to check me and they did start me on low dose at that time (50 mcg). I am still on 50 mcg to this day as they say my levels are fine each time i go to get them checked as quite frequently i feel ill. My symptoms are fatigue, brain fog, ear pain (been to doc for that they say ears are fine), dizziness (even when just standing still or sitting my head spins), weight gain (before all symptoms started in 06 i never weighed more than 130 in my life and most of the time way less than that, now 170 pounds and 5'4". Recently in the last few days it feels like i have something stuck in my throat although throat is not sore. Also have had some severe insomnia where i could barely sleep more than a couple of hours or so a night and then back to pure exhaustion and slept for like 12 hours. i have had extreme constipation which is chronic lately and always have the large pregnancy belly too. I am so frustrated at being told my levels are normal. I have had all these symptoms before i got put on meds. I feel it is my hypo but they say my levels are fine. Oh i forgot i have mid back pain and pain in front too and stomach feels irritated on left side all the time (could be due to constipation im sure). Any way im gonna post my labs and see what someone else thinks. i have my records for past few years that i will post. Maybe someone can shed some light or tell me something to ask doctor to check as i cant barely function at work anymore and i have a very physical job taking care of others. Need some solution as i feel my quality of life is terrible and at this point im just getting angry with the lack of care from doctors who we pay big money to get some answers and then just get told "your getting older", "you have anxiety and depression" and what ever else (oh ya the "diet and exercise). Anyway feels good to vent about it anyway. here are labs

1/30/07 TSH 1.37 reference range: 0.34-4.82
FT4 0.7 reference range: 0.59-1.85
4/17/08 TSH 1.71
FT4 0.8
1/6/09 TSH 1.54
FT4 1.0
10/14/09 TSH 0.89
1/19/10 TSH 2.11
Ft4 0.7
That is all i have for my labs as these are on my med records but im sure my labs are obviously not much different than these as they keep saying they are normal and have never upped my meds or made any changes since i was told i was hypo. Please tell me if these seem normal or what. Im feeling terrible again and it feels like alot of the same symptoms i had then. And i also feel nauseated alot and face feels feverish but dont have a fever, get cold and hot and tons of other hypo related junk from what i can tell. If anyone has any suggestions for me would love to hear from you Oh ya one more thing. After starting meds in late 2006 (50 mcg of Levothyroxine) i started to feel better within like 3 weeks felt like a new person and constipation stopped. Also a couple of years ago i had plantar fascitis which ended up having to have hydrocortisone shots to releive the pain. Anyway feet are hurting some again but not as bad as then. Ugh i just want relief and sanity back and to feel good more than just one day a year. Anyway thanks for listening.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
(female)

smileyhappy HB User
Re: Please help with labs feel terrible but docs keeping saying normal

Hi there,

You should see an Endocrinologist if you are just seeing a regular doctor because my Tsh was normal too but my doctor referred me to an Endocrinologist and she confirmed with my symptoms I was hypothyroid and was able to help me better than my GP. Also are of age for menopause because alot of your other symptoms sound like that too.

Take care,

Smileyhappy

Last edited by mod85; 03-08-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

The last labs you had were 3 years ago?!? Seriously??? Egads.

You have been under-dosed for a very long time. When properly treated, your TSH shouldn't be higher than 1.0 and your free T4 should be at least 1.3 to 1.5.

You should push for an immediate dose increase to 75 mcgs. If you're refused, find a better doctor. I disagree it has to be an endo, however. Most focus on diabetes and haven't bothered to learn anything new about hypothyroidism since they were in med school. Any really smart internist or general practice doctor should be able to help.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
(female)

madonnis HB User

I also had ANA in april 09 and it was 33 the reference lab was 0-120. What does that mean? I dont know enough about what any of these numbers mean to even know what to ask about. Sad that they dont explain it either.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:45 AM   #5
(female)

madonnis HB User

Thanks so much for the info. I was starting to think that i was crazy for thinking that its my thyroid making me feel that way. Lots of people say that it is possibly menopause. Can thyroid issues cause cessation of your menstrual cycle. When i first started having problems i was menstruating more than i wasn't each month. Then my periods started to go from that to like every couple months for a bit and then just went to never or a wipe on the tissue once a year. I have read that some issues with thyroid or adrenal maybe could cause cessation of your cycle. I dont know, but it is so frustrating because you feel terrible with no energy and all these weird things going on and it seems like no one takes you serious. It makes you feel like they think your a hypochondriac. I constantly am missing work and i just feel like they think i just like to take time off because its not like having a cold or fever or something that people can see and tell you don't feel well. I'm so glad i'm not the only one going through this. It helps to read these posts and see many others are struggling with the same problem, not being taken seriously. thanks for listening.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
(female)

smileyhappy HB User

Hi there,

You would have to ask an Endocrinolist if your thyroid messing up would cause you periods to be that way. I know Menopause sure does.

Smileyhappy

Old 03-09-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Absolutely... Low thyroid can cause symptoms in any of the body's systems, Including menstruation. There are literally dozens of things it can cause.

If you would like to visit the Thyroid Disorders board, there's a "Thyroid Symptoms... Information" sticky thread at the top of the subject list that will explain a lot of the basics. Education about the disorder is a hypothyroid patient's best friend. The more you know, the more likely you'll be to get the right treatment and regain your health.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #8
(female)

madonnis HB User

Have an appointment with my GP tomorrow. Feeling horrible and want to make sure i ask them to test everything that should be tested. Can anyone tell me what all i should ask them to test? Also wondering about a pain i am having under my chin. I get this achy feeling under my chin area off and on and the neck pain off an on as well and ears get sore and itchy. Also is it common with thyroid problems to be constipated so much. I feel like in order to get good relief i have to drink a bottle of mag citrate at least once a week or two weeks otherwise i seem to get nauseated and feel horrible. I have had this problem for a long time with constipation but the last few months has been even worse. Also getting blurry vision off and on. My hubby is diabetic and took my blood sugar so i know its not my blood sugar. Could the toxicity from the constipation cause this or is it another thyroid symptom? Also the other night and actually off and on i have been feeling the anxiety symptoms but im confused as to whether its hypo or hyper symptoms since most everything else points to hypo like the constipation and weight gain and increased appetite most of the time. This issue is so confusing. Im just tired of feeling like crap and want to find out how to treat this problem effectively, as it is interfering with my life big time. I feel so horrible i just want to be out of my misery some days. Please just give me some ideas of exactly what to demand they check. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

At minimum, you need TSH and free T4 tests. Not "total" T4, but "free" T4.
If TSH is above 1.5 and free T4 is below middle-range, you need a dose increase, period. The middle of the most commonly used free T4 range is 1.3; but ranges vary from lab to lab. If you want to post your new results later, be sure to include the lab ranges with them.

Constipation is among the top three most common hypoT symptoms. Every cell in your body needs thyroid hormone, so lack of enough of it can cause myriad widespread symptoms.

Insist on those two tests. Ask for a free T3 test too, but at this point, it isn't strictly necessary. Might as well ask for a thyroid dose increase, too. Strongly suggest that maybe the one you're on is no longer enough. (It doesn't appear it ever was, but you don't have to mention that now.) You may get lucky and get it just by asking. Can't hurt to ask.

You'll need to educate yourself about hypothyroidism if you hope to ever get it treated optimally. The educated patient always gets better treatment than the one who leaves everything up to the MD.

Let us know what happens.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-14-2013 at 09:43 AM.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
(female)

madonnis HB User

thank you. I am beginning to find that out. They do a TSH and a FT4 and the doc always say WNL. I kind of yo-yo on being symptomatic. Sometimes i don't feel horrible but have the constipation always and other times it is full blown symptoms like the dizziness, ear pain, neck pain, all the other symptoms i mentioned. Is feeling weepy also a symptom as when i get symptomatic like this i tend to cry alot about almost anything. Its weird. And i also flip flop between hot and cold. Any way i am going in there tomorrow and demanding to get to the bottom of the problem here or finding a new MD. I have always let them call the shots as i did not know much about my problem. I have been reading posts quite a bit on this board and trying to educate myself for the appointment. It is very confusing to me as all these labs that everyone posts seem to be different ranges. Well hoping tomorrow goes well as i need some relief i feel like crap. Also thinking i want an ultra sound of thyroid done. When i swallow i see a bulge at the left side of my neck down towards the bottom of my neck. I will post new results when i get them. Hope im feeling better soon.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:10 AM   #11
(female)

madonnis HB User

well went to the doc yesterday. He took labs but have not gotten them back yet. He told me basically that my labs have been fine and the last time i had them read they were fine at TSH of 1.5 and FT4 was 1.1 I believe. That was in August i guess. Does that sound like a good lab. The reference range is between0.34-4.82 for TSH and for Ft4 it is 0.59-1.85. So basically he told me unless these symptoms i'm having started after August it cant be my thyroid. Well with the brain fog i have how would i be able to remember anyway. Anyway they took some other blood tests not even sure what. I tried to go in there and tell him that i feel just like i did when they put me on meds to start with and he just basically blew me off like i didnt have a clue as to what im talking about. Also my blood pressure is a bit high so he says that is not a hypo trademark either. Thinking new doctor might be in order. I left feeling like an idiot as usual. I feel like "hey i know my body, you are not in it" but everything i say he basically shoots down because it dont fit typical stuff. I heard him mention fibromyalgia in the conversation as well. I think that is just another thing they can label me. so far i have asthma but have never had an asthma attack, have emphyzema but no symptoms typical of any problems since i quit smoking almost a year ago. OH ya Anxiety, and who knows what else im starting to forget. On stomach pills to for acid reflux. It is all treating the symptoms and never getting to the root of the problem i feel. Anyway will post labs and whatever else i find out on monday. Thanks for listening.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Heckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB UserHeckofagal HB User

I think it might be time for a new dr. When you get your labs post them here but I am guessing you will need a dose increase. We can help you figure your percentages and if you are below 50% you could call your dr and say you think there is room for improvement.

FYI when I'm feeling hypo symptoms I get dizziness, anxiety, short temper/depressed mood, eye issues and constipation issues that aggravate my acid reflux issues. Have they tested your B12 or vitamin D? Taking supps for these helped me to feel much better. Also, I take a magnesium supplement every night and that helps with the constipation.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:45 AM   #13
(female)

madonnis HB User

I just had my appointment friday the 15th. I went in there to see the doc with med records in hand and showed him and told him i thought i was in need of increase because i feel just like i did when i got put on the meds in the beginning. He basically made me feel stupid. I told him what my symptoms were and he told me to pick 1 symptom that was bothering me the most. Seriously..how do i pick one symptom when i feel terrible all over. My whole body feels terrible. also my blood pressure was 166/90 something while i was there. He said hypo doesnt make your blood pressure high. He sent me home with a blood pressure machine and none of my readings with blood pressure meds or without were high. They ranged in the 130 to 140 range/75 to 70 range and that was before taking blood pressure meds. I think i have white coat syndrome (ha, ha). Anyway a three day reading does not indicate high blood pressure to me with those reading at least. I have had blurry vision, dizziness, nausea and all that are symptoms of low blood pressure. anyway he just acted like i had no idea what was going on. He took some blood tests and im not even sure what for that is how informative he is. Anyway i will post labs when i get them (if they give them to me) They just call and say WNL. Anyway im really tired of the lack of care with some of the doctors these days. They need to get more educated on thyroid issues and adrenal issues and the like.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

You have a right by US law to a copy of all lab results. Never accept "WNL"; insist on a photocopy of the actual lab report. If they balk about it, mention "HIPAA" to them and just watch them scramble.

As far as the MD goes, though... If he had made me feel stupid, he'd be an ex-MD in a heartbeat. The MD I was seeing when I first began to suspect I was hypothyroid actually has his new patients put their level of education on the intake form. IMO, he does that so he won't have to "waste" his time explaining anything to those he feels are too dumb to absorb it. I may only have a HS education, but that doesn't mean I don't have the IQ to have gone on to med school if I'd had the opportunity and money. That's the last time I ever plan to answer such a biased question.

It is true though, that most won't listen to an interminable list of symptoms. Keep it brief. It's better to pick the top one or two, no more than three, of the worst ones and briefly tell how they impact your lifestyle adversely. Never include weight gain in those top 3. MDs believe we want thyroid hormone mostly as a weight loss drug; that's when they really put their backs up.

If for some reason you're stuck with this MD and have no opportunity to switch right now, make an argument for a dose increase. Here's a pretty good one. Tell him you can understand how he wants your TSH "WNL". Tell him the lab range for "normal" is 0.34-4.82. Say something like - "If .34 is as normal as my 2.whatever, I would like a small dose increase to get it a tad lower - around .8 - 1.0. That's 'normal', too, and maybe I'd feel better with it there. Why not, doc?"

Try reading more about basic thyroid function before you revisit and make your argument. Thyroid for Dummies by Dr. Alan Rubin is a good one. Being more informed about the basics can greatly help you not to feel as intimidated at an office visit and can help you learn what to ask for.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #15
(female)

madonnis HB User

On the question of Vitamin D being checked. Yes i asked them to check that back a couple years ago as i was so fatigued and my daughter had recently had an issue with being at an 8 with her vitamin D level. I was 20 with mine. Also on a different note my mom had nervous issues all of her life and had pernicious anemia. I read somewhere that is sometimes an issue with people who have thyroid problems. She was a skeleton when she was younger and always had a myriad of health problems her whole life. She ended up with clogged arteries and had open heart surgery after having a stroke in like 2005. She died in 2008. The more i think about it i would put money on the fact she probably had some type of thyroid issue as after her surgery they put her on thyroid meds. Not certain about this being her problem but would bet just because of the nervous issues like anxiety and the fact she had anemia and just so many symptoms of what im reading is thyroid related. Im glad im finding out things now. Maybe she would still be here today if we had known more about her. Makes me want to get her med records and check things out see if they ever tested her levels and so on. Also my 21 year old daughter is having hair loss issues and anxiety issues and weight gain and alot of thyroid symptoms. She started loosing hair at 16 and has gained weight in the last year or so, a substantial amount for her small frame (she is like 5 foot tall) and like 140 pounds now. Anyway i had her get her thyroid checked not too long ago and they said it was normal. She continues to suffer with the fatigue and all the other symptoms and our symptoms are so much alike it is scary. I think she is suffering from what i am as well. Also she just found out she is pregnant so i wonder how that might affect her pregnancy if she is dealing with that too. Anyway i hope i can get educated enough through talking to others and learning about this to educate her as well.

Reply Reply

Tags
thyroid blood test