It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2013, 08:46 PM   #1
(female)

ozzielady HB User
1284 anti TPO and "normal" blood work

I am a 36 year old female. I am posting today to ask for some help.

I have been having symptoms for over 12 months now and in Aug 2012 i went to an endo who diagniosed me with Chronic autoimmune thyroiditis with normal thyroid function.

I went to the doctors again last week and blood test were drawn yet again. My TPO antibodies have jumped from 357 in august 2012 to 1284 this time round.

I am not on any medication except for a 5 day course of steroids to help with the inflamtion. I have an appiontment next week with a new endo so any information/advice anyone is able to offer would be a hugh help as i am losing my quality of life and struggling to cope with my work life

My test result are as follows (the lab ranges are the same for all results)

07/08/12
TSH 0.855 (0.30-4.0)
Free T4 17.6 (11.5-22.7)

07/11/12
TSH 1.117
Free T4 19.1

11/01/13
TSH 0.875
Free T4 15.1

07/03/13
TSH 1.007
Free T4 17.1

Symptoms:
When my symptoms/flare begins i feel dehyrated and my lips become dry and cracked (reguardless of how much fluid i drink),my voice goes horse and my throat begins to feel full. my heart rate increases and the hand tremor starts and i feel really exhusted. After a few days the heart palp slow down and i get joint/muscel pain, foggy headed, dizzy, weakness, stomach cramps, and generally want to hide in bed fo a week.

Once again thank you :-) as i am not sure what is happening nor what can be done and any help would be so gratefully appreciated

P.S. All blood work was done within the first day or so of these episodes

Last edited by ozzielady; 03-17-2013 at 12:36 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2013, 04:18 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: 1284 anti TPO and "normal" blood work

When the flares start, you might try an anti=inflammatory med OTC like Naproxen. Also you could ask endo for a beta blocker RX like Atenolol to take to control the heart rate and shakiness. Your symptoms suggest bouts of overactive thyroid which is common early in course of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. Eventually you will need to go on thyroid replacement, but controlling the symptoms right now may be enough. Your levels should be monitored regularly for changes.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
ozzielady (03-17-2013)
Old 03-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

My understanding of it, because I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis too, is that it doesn't really matter what the amount of those antibodies are. If you have more than a certain amount, you have Hashis. My suggestion to you is to see an endocrinologist.
My daughter, sister and I both have Hashis and all take Synthroid, daily, for it.
However, our TSH is way higher than yours, without it.
Feel better.

The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpotato13 For This Useful Post:
ozzielady (03-18-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
(female)

ozzielady HB User

Just want to say a BIG thank you for your responses!!!

Ladybug: Yes i will definately be trying the anti imflamitories a try. I was given Beta blockers at the very beginning last year so i might talk to my doctor again about them. Do you know anything that will help with energy levels?

Sweetpotato: Yes it looks like its hashi's. My grandmother and uncle on my fathers side both have Graves and my grandmother on my mothers side is HypoT. I have an appointment this week to see an endo. I am very puzzeled as to why my TSH is optimal every time but my thyroid hormone is all over the place (but yes still within range) I have SO much to learn about this and so many questions.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

The fatigue may be from the inflammation and the chemicals produced from it (cytokines). The antiinflammatories may help, but the OTC doses are about 1/2 what the RX doses are, so I would ask your Dr about an RX for the higher dose.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
ozzielady (03-18-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
(female)

ozzielady HB User

Thank you Ladybug i will be asking about that. i have an appointment this morning with a new endo so fingers crossed i will be able to get some more information and help :-)

Old 03-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
(female)

nami580 HB Usernami580 HB User

Dear Ozzie Lady

Unfortunately, even though we are in Melbourne we are caught between a rock and a hard place as many endo's books are closed and as you are a woman - they put it all down to the everything else.

I have the same in the antibodies, I have been told by 4 Doctors here, 4 different things. Lady bug, and Sammy64 and Lady50 and mgrook and all who spend their precious time helping us is nothing short of the difference between going off the bridge sometimes. I nearly lost my marriage because of the mood swings.

I am now, finally, I think, never get too comfortable though thinking the Doctor is right, question through here, on the road, although it has taken me neary 4 years to finally get to the bottom of it all, and I still am asking questions.....

I still am a little lost but I think I know what is going on now, but I need to know the difference between my three diagnosis's - and the the Doctor did say it is quite rare.

The battle ahead you need a really good GP and ask that he/she is experienced in Thyroid as they are the ones here in AUS that we deal with, and if you GP is good as mine, your journey will be a bit easier. I am on beta blockers for my palpatations, I go to bed at the weekend from exhaustion when needed, and from works perspective, I try as best I can to do the best I can and if that is not good enough i will take sick leave. I am fortunate to have been where I work for 14 years and have heaps of sick leave but still, I will need my thyroid out at some point so do not want to be to over the top in time off.

It took 4+ doctors (endo's) to get me medicated on the journey and I rang the major hospital that is on TV here and asked for the endocrine unit to confirm that the person i am seeing now is someone I can trust. Firstly he sent a 4 page letter telling my GP it was maybe Hashimotto's, deifinitely spewing from the nodules but more like my symptoms were meonopause, until he did a radicle thing and took me off everything and started from scratch and has now sent a one page letter telling my GP I have 3 things, Hypothyrodism, Hasimotto's and Multinodular goitre - I am still confused but feel I am moving forward and hopefully someone will answer me and let me know what is the difference. I beleived I was Graves because of all the symptoms and it was Sammy64 who helped me through that part.

There is a wonderful story on google and it's called "my name is Hashimotto's" it is the most wonderful reading and will give you an understanding. I hope you find it.

I just say now walk a day in my shoes and see how you feel......

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzielady View Post
Thank you Ladybug i will be asking about that. i have an appointment this morning with a new endo so fingers crossed i will be able to get some more information and help :-)

The following user gives a hug of support to nami580:
ozzielady (03-20-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to nami580 For This Useful Post:
ozzielady (03-20-2013)
Old 03-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
(female)

ozzielady HB User

Nomi

Sorry it has taken me so long to respone to your post.

Wow i just read the letter and again WOW! Its very powerful. I will admit it got me a bit teary :-)

I hope that you are well and truely on the road to better health as this is a very trying path to be on.

I went to the new Endo (also a professor) on tuesday and had a thyroid uptake scan done with a heap of blood tests, so i am praying for an answer and/or solution.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post

The following user gives a hug of support to ozzielady:
nami580 (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #9
(female)

nami580 HB Usernami580 HB User

Fingers crossed for you and all the results-good or bad willed you to a better way to live. Good luck and can't wait to hear.

Sorry it has taken me so long to respone to your post.

Wow i just read the letter and again WOW! Its very powerful. I will admit it got me a bit teary :-)

I hope that you are well and truely on the road to better health as this is a very trying path to be on.

I went to the new Endo (also a professor) on tuesday and had a thyroid uptake scan done with a heap of blood tests, so i am praying for an answer and/or solution.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post[/QUOTE]

The Following User Says Thank You to nami580 For This Useful Post:
ozzielady (03-21-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
(female)

ozzielady HB User

Hi all
I just thought i would post an update. I went to see the endo and after testing everything had com back normal. I had an MRI on my brain and neck and they found i have normal pressure hydrocephalus and 3 bulged discs in my neck, I am now waiting to see a nuerologoist next month. So i guess it wasnt my thyroid causing the symptoms after all (says very sheepishly). I am not sure what this all means but i just hope one day i will feel my old self again

Last edited by ozzielady; 06-20-2013 at 05:40 PM.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ozzielady, Glad you got some of this figured out! I hope the neuro helps you. I can't understand though how everything came back normal on your thyroid, after having TPO antibodies of 1284. Perhaps he just tested your hormone levels, and they came back ok? I would try to clarify that, as you can still have Hashimoto's but with normal hormone levels early on. Sometimes it takes a year or two for the hormone levels to start dropping.
Nami, here's the difference you were asking to have explained: Hashimoto's is the autoimmune process whereby antibodies destroy your thyroid gland over time (years). Your immune system doesn't recognize your thyroid as "self", it mistakenly thinks it is "foreign" and builds up antibodies against the cells. As the thyroid gland gets destroyed by inflammation, it often enlarges, forms nodules and scar tissue, and that is a multinodular (many nodules) goiter (enlarged thyroid). Because the hormone- producing cells get destroyed , you become hypothyroid, meaning you don't have sufficient thyroid hormone production from the gland to keep up your normal metabolic rate. So you get tired, gain weight, etc. The treatment then is to supply you with thyroid hormone to make up for what your gland is not producing. So all 3 things go hand-in-hand, and are really all part of one disease process, the autoimmune thyroid inflammation/destruction. Hope that helps.

Last edited by ladybud; 06-20-2013 at 06:00 PM. Reason: typo

Old 06-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
(female)

ozzielady HB User

Hi ladybug

I will get clarification on the thyroid issue, at the moment i have my levels checked every 6 months so at this stage i will be concentrating on the nuerologist issues and then i guess i will focus on the thyroid. I am very very thankfull that the both are not playing up together as i really dont think the hydrocephalus would have been found. Thank you for your prompt reply and thank you to this board as i have learnt so much in a time in my life when i had so many unanswered questions.

Reply Reply