It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
(female)

monica2323 HB User
Need help analyzing blood work results...

In July of 2012 I got tested for thyroid disorder after a friend of mine mentioned
I have clear signs of hypothyroidism (tired all the time, sleeping a lot, hair falling out, gaining weight, feeling cold all the time, going to the bathroom once a week, and being diagnosed with depression) After receiving negative results from my doctor I was sent home with no answers and millions of questions. Over the past months my condition worsened, it has become almost impossible for me to get up in the morning, I have gained 15lbs in 3 months, and feel always moody and tired. Today I decided to get tested once again. The doctor was very reluctant to give me the tests, his answer was that I had this test done before and it is pointless to take it again. I told him that test was done in JULY of last year. After 30 minutes of convincing he put in an order for another test. But this time I requested I get a copy of the results, and while he was at it, if he could give me the copy of the first results too. His reply was, "I can give you whatever you want but it won't change anything, your results were negative." I did everything in my power not to pounce on this man! Of course he did not go over anything with me what so ever, he didn't even look over the stuff himself but instead just checked his stupid computer to see if anything was highlighted in red. So I need your help to determine these results since I know absolutely NOTHING about this disorder and my doctor can care less about what is going on with me.

Vitamin D = 43.6 (32.0 - 100)
Vitamin B12 = 353 (211 - 911)
Total Protein = 7.0 (5.9 - 8.4)
Sodium = 134 (133 - 145)
Chloride = 100 (96 - 108)
Iron = 42 ( 30- 160)
LDL CHolesterol = 100 (- < 100)
VLDL = 11 (7 - 32)
Platelets = 359 (144 - 400)
Anti-microsomal Ab = 14 (- < 35)
Antinuclear antibody = negative (-neg = <1:80)
Anti-thyroglobulin antibody serum = <20 (-<or=40)
Cortisol Baseline = 23.9 (5.0 - 25.0)
Ferritin = 18 (10 - 291)
Folate (Folic Acid) - 15.03 (>5.38 -)
Testosterone, serum = 44.5 (8.4 - 48.1)
Thyroxine (T4) = 8.5 (4.5 - 12.0)
Thyroxine , free (FT4) = 1.22 (0.83 - 1.62)
TSH = 3.330 (0.270 - 4.200)

Any tips, advice, explanations are much appreciated.
Tests I had done today are: Anti-thyrogobulin antibody, anti-microsomal ab, t3 total, t3 reverse, t3 uptake, FT3, FT4, T4, and TSH. Is there anything important missing out that I SHOULD be tested for?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

light472 HB Userlight472 HB Userlight472 HB User
Re: Need help analyzing blood work results....

I think with all the tests you should have pretty much covered up the thyroid issue. From your tests I'd say it might be "sub-clinical" hypothyroidism, with your TSH being at 3.330 (new range ends at 3.03 I think) so there could be a problem there. Your doctor is checking your Anti-Tg but not your Anti-TPO? That seems rather strange to me considering Anti-TPO is more accurate (90% vs 70%), though doing both is even better.

I find your ferritin pretty low, IIRC the ranges at my lab starts at 18, so it might be worth looking into anemia. Fatigue, hair loss, lots of symptoms overlap with hypothyroidism. Didn't your doctor ask for a complete blood count? Mine always does and knowing your Red Blood Cell Count would be useful.

Besides that, I'd wait until your new results are in, especially more recent TSH, FT4 and FT3.

My guess would be anemia or hypothyroidism, otherwise I'd look into adrenal problems, maybe Lyme's disease and yes, depression/stress (IF you're under heavy stress or going through rough times, just don't let this diagnosis become a way for your doctor not to treat you)

Old 03-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
(female)

monica2323 HB User

The doctor the clinic set me up with was my primary doctor (even though I specifically asked for an endo) and knows nothing about hypothyroidism, he even told me he knows nothing about this disorder. He tested me for all the things he could think up of and made a follow-up appointment with an endo two weeks from yesterday to go over my results with him. He told me anything else the endo doctor can think up of, he'll test for that too, but that's a two weeks difference so they might as well test for everything all over again so all that stuff is tested at the same point and time..... but I dunno, they don't think like I do or they just don't want to waste their time/money whatever it is...

When I took all these tests in July, my doctor just told me everything is in range and sent me home. He did not check if anything seems on the lower range that would probably be affecting me... I'm not sure if he checked my blood count, what is the medical term for it or abbreviation that would be used on blood results? Just CBC? My guess is that he didn't.

I went around asking close friends and family if they can refer me to their private doctor that accept my insurance, even if there is a co-pay! Because I can not continue to stay at this clinic.

I have been standing up for myself, once I realized that the meds were not helping anything, I fight for my health and demand to be checked out so I can start feeling better. They do often look that I have been diagnosed with depression and just LOVVEE to blame all my symptoms on that, or the antidepressant medication. And when I stop the anti depression to prove a point the symptoms are STILL there, they say I feel bad because I stopped taking the meds... LIKE REALLY?

Old 03-21-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Tests for hypothyroidism can't really be "negative" or "positive". There are multiple shades of gray to them and must be interpreted. Doesn't sound like that MD is the guy to do that.

There is lots of disagreement among doctors about hypoT diagnosis and treatment. If you can't get a diagnosis from this one, searching for a more thyroid-knowledgeable MD can help.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
(female)

monica2323 HB User

Yeah I understand, I just need to find a good doctor, and that can be hard, especially if it deals with thyroid. i'd be happy with any doctor that can put two and two together and just see what they can do to make me feel better instead of just checking the ranges and sending me home while the symptoms persist.

I'm also wondering does hypo or anemia cause frequent infections? I have been getting sinus infections like every month! I use to get them once a year, usually around early March. But this year I had one on the week of valentines day and now I'm feeling sick again, a month later... ugh I feel like I'm falling apart piece by piece.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

I'm pretty sure hypo can cause frequent infections, but it is even more common in adrenal fatigue and anemia if I'm not mistaken.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
(female)

monica2323 HB User

I also have somewhat low vitamin D (43 on a range of 32 -100) and b12 (353 on a range of 211-911) despite the fact the tests were taken in July when I was at the beach almost everyday and was taking 1000mg b12 supplements. I'm wondering does anemia cause those types of deficiencies because of the lack of iron leading to symptoms of hypo or does hypo causes these deficiencies?

Last edited by monica2323; 03-21-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

Would love to get someone else to answer on this one. All I can say is I'm stuck with low vitamin D despite supplementation from my GP, but I recently found a study where they found that 92% (that is actually pretty incredible IMO) of hashimoto's patient were vitamin D deficient. This suggests a strong link between the two, perhaps because vitamin D plays a role in immunomodulation and hashi is an auto-immune disease.

Otherwise I don't really know about B12.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:39 PM   #9
(female)

monica2323 HB User

What is hashimoto's exactly? And what is immunomodulation?

Old 03-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

In short hashimoto's thyroiditis is an auto-immune disease, which means your immune system turns against its own tissues (your thyroid gland in this case) and attacks it as if it were an intruder. As a result, your thyroid may have problem functioning normally. Another example of an auto-immune disease would be diabetes type 1, where your immune system attacks the pancreas, reducing your body's ability to produce insulin.

And sorry about "immunomodulation", it simply means that vitamin D plays a role in regulating (or modulating) your immune system. I don't know much about its mechanism, but having too much or too little vitamin D can affect your immune system, and since hashimoto's disease is caused by the immune system, both conditions appear to be linked somehow.

Also, around 90% of hypothyroidism in America is caused by hashimoto's, so if you're hypo, chances are you've got hashimoto.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
(female)

monica2323 HB User

How do you get tested for that? the same way as a hypo test? or are there some specific tests that need to be done in order diagnose?

Old 03-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Given enough time (meaning some damage done to your thyroid), most people should get abnormal TSH / Free T4 results. Otherwise there are 2 antibodies tests available: Anti-TPO and Anti-Tg.

Straight from wikipedia Anti-TPO is said to be present (test "positive") in 90% of hashimoto's patient, while Anti-Tg is found in 70% of patients. These are pretty accurate tests, but they still leave a 5-10% of "seronegative" hashimoto's, or false negatives (people who HAVE the disease but won't show up on tests).

Basically if you get your TSH, FT4, FT3, Anti-TPO and Anti-Tg done, you should have a pretty good idea of what's really going on I think. However as midwest1 said, a lot of these results are about interpretation and not simply "negative" or "positive".

Old 03-22-2013, 04:23 AM   #13
(female)

monica2323 HB User
Re: Need help analyzing blood work results...

My doctor did not order both Anti-TPO and Anti-Tg, just Anti-Tg. Is it 100% necessary to order both tests, and at the same time too, in order to get accurate results?

Last edited by monica2323; 03-22-2013 at 04:25 AM.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:15 AM   #14
Inactive
(male)

As far as I know, it is not that important to have antibodies tested at the same time as it'd be relevant to have you TSH don along your T4 and T3. Your Antibodies should fluctuate enough that you'd test positive one day and negative the other I believe.

With a single test done, you still have good chances of being diagnosed if you do have hashimoto's. The problem is that is the results are negative, it won't truly mean that you don't have hashimoto's (you'd still have around 30% chances of a "false-negative").

Old 03-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #15
(female)

monica2323 HB User

Okay so I'll post new results when I get them and then ask for an Anti-TPO test? along with vitamin D and B12. If my vitamin D was 10% on the rangethe middle of summer when I was going to the beach nearly every single day, I wouldn't be surprised if its beyond low now during the winter.

Reply Reply

Tags
hypothyrodism, hypothyroidism and depression, thyroid disorder, tsh level