It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
(female)

Soconfused27 HB User
Went to the doc this am

I won't get into extreme detail because I will just end up writing a novel again. Bottom line is he's going to review my file and see what he comes up with. He also ordered some bloods for the time being. He ordered glucose 8hr fasting, hemoglobin, vit b12, calcium, phosphate, magnesium, tsh progressive, free t4. He wouldn't order antibody tests unless either hypo or hyper. I think he forgot to check off iron on my form.

Anyways turns out I had thyroid tests done in June. I asked for a printout of that. This is what the sheet says:
Ferritin 41 (15-200) ug/L
Vitamin b12 274 (>150) pmol/L
Tsh progressive 2.16 (0.2-4.0) mU/L
Thyroxine free 9.4 (7.5-21.1) pmol/L

That's it. At least I have something to compare the next ones too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #2
(female)

Soconfused27 HB User
Re: Went to the doc this am

I go in for bloodwork tomorrow morning. I am feeling "better" today and yesterday. Really scared that's going to affect my results . I don't remember having those tests above done (silly memory), but I'm pretty sure it would have been done when I was feeling pretty bad. Those are pretty normal, maybe ferratin is a little on the lower side but I was still breast feeding then. Is free t3 necessary? I'm scared in gonna end up being told its all in my head again.

Also this post was a follow up to my others. Sorry for posting in a seperate one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

light472 HB Userlight472 HB Userlight472 HB User

If I remember you were getting your antibodies tested too this time?

Because I do believe that feeling better can affect some of your lab restuls, but around 90% of hypos are from hashimoto's, and Anti-TPO is roughly 90% accurate, so there's a good chance you could still be diagnosed from that since antibodies won't fluctuate as much (you can't simply become "normal" within a week antibody-wise).

As for Free T3, it isn't "necessary" as most people with abnormal results should show up with TSH and FT4, but it's better to have everything tested out just in case your fall into that small percent of people who have trouble with T3 but not T4, or normal TSH with a problem somewhere else. Doctors don't seem to care for other tests when they can cover 90% of cases with 1 or 2 tests (or so they believe).

If you are getting only TSH and Free T4 (I know my current doctor won't do anything else :/ ) and had to ask for one single test, I'd say get your Anti-TPO done. Also, if your free Thyroxine comes back at the lower end of the range again, getting your Free T3 could very well reveal your problem.

Best of luck in your fight towards feeling well!

Old 03-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #4
(female)

Soconfused27 HB User

Thank you again. The progressive tsh means they test tsh and t4. If the t4 comes back abnormal then they do the t3 automatically and if not they don't.
I did ask about the antibody tests but he said no. They would only do them if results came back hypo or hyper.

Unfortunantly I think today's blood work will get me no where. If its within normal ranges then that's not the cause. I am Definantly in a better cycle at the moment. This morning I has barely any hair come out in the shower, no eyebrows shedding and I do not feel freezing cold. My energy level is also pretty good. I am still seeing flashing or yellow lights in the corner of my eye occasionally but that's it. This usually follows a bad cycle. Last weekend was the worst, and while I enjoy feeling better, I kind of wish it wasn't right when I got blood work lol. Doesn't help my case.

Yesterday my blood pressure was 112/80 and pulse 70. All week prior my Bp was 108/65.

I guess I will just wait to hear back from this doctor.

Reply Reply