It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
(female)

karrie4hope HB User
Looking for Hope

I am so very discouraged by all that I read about hypothyroid. I have been dealing with this for almost 3 years. Suppressed TSH .75, T3 3.3 & Low Free T4 - .64. I have been taking 30mg of Armour and most recently the addition of Lilothyronine - 5mcg - 2 x's per day. Just last week my doc increased my armour to 40mg. I eat 1200 calories a day (lean protein/complex carbs/no soy and gluten-free), train weights 4 days a week with 30 minutes of moderate-to-intense cardio 6 days a week. It is very difficult for me to lose weight. In one year I have lost 4 pounds. I cannot fathom life this way. Please someone, tell me there is hope; that there is a way out of this fat-mess! I was so very physically-fit and slender, optimistic and so many other things... that feel like they are fading since hypothyrodism...I'm losing myself.

Last edited by karrie4hope; 03-21-2013 at 05:25 PM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: karrie4hope
hubba741 (06-10-2013), Tired63 (03-22-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
(female)

Tired63 HB User
Re: Looking for Hope

Wow I am feeling the very same at this moment! I just got back from pants shopping because I have gained so much weight. I am 49 year old 5'8" female and have always been slender. I was 145 lbs in July 2012. Today I am 172. I am besides myself, from a size 6 to a 12 in a few months. My Doctor just increased my Levothroid to 100mcg a few weeks ago and also found my ferritin to ne very low. I just can't believe I have gotten this fat! I thought my metabolism would get better but that is not the case.

I understand your feelings completely and feel the same way, like I am losing myself. This sucks.

The following user gives a hug of support to Tired63:
karrie4hope (03-23-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

There is hope, Karrie, but only if you find the right treatment plan. Yours does not sound ideal.

First, your TSH is not "suppressed". It's the average for a healthy person who is NOT taking Armour. For someone taking Armour and/or lioT (T3), it's too high. "Suppressed" means near zero, but yours is still well within the reference range. I take natural thyroid, and my TSH hasn't been higher than .02 in nearly 10 years. The right tests to use for monitoring an Armour-based treatment are the free T4 and free T3.

Your free T4 is below reference range. That's way too low. The addition of lioT isn't the right move to help that. You first should be given enough Armour to get the job done. But if that doesn't entirely work, you should be given some levothyroxine to raise the FT4 instead of lioT to raise the FT3. The human body needs both T4 and T3 in the right proportion. Continually raising T3 while ignoring T4 usually does not work long term.

Your 30 mg dose cannot be enough, except perhaps for an infant. It's only a starter dose. The average full replacement for a woman is about 120-150 mgs. Many people need more.

When you get your FT4 and FT3 levels in the right places within their ranges for your body, you'll be more successful at eliminating symptoms and at moving some weight.

Good luck to you!

The Following User Says Thank You to midwest1 For This Useful Post:
light472 (03-24-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 04:49 AM   #4
(female)

karrie4hope HB User
Smile Re: Looking for Hope

Words cannot express my gratitude for your follow-up! It validated me on so many levels! I could make no sense of my dosage/care given my labwork over the years of my treatment. I am now on a mission to make things right, be it with my current doctor's office or with another.

This said, I did forget (big error) to type Free in front of my T3 in my labs above. *Even with what limited understanding I have about thyroid labs thus far, the one thing that has consistently stood out to me is that my FT4 has always been LOW and with treatment (3 years of 30mg of Armour, 1 dosage increase just last week to 40mg and 5mcg of LioT/per day) - NOTHING has caused that level to rise.

Thank you - The time you spend sharing your words is a blessing!

Hugs,
Karrie

Last edited by karrie4hope; 03-23-2013 at 04:53 AM.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:02 AM   #5
(female)

karrie4hope HB User

Tired63,

If you haven't already picked up the books Stop the Thyroid Madness & Living Well with Hypothyroidism - I suggest you do so. I am astounded at the lack of knowledge of most doctors and nurses. It's time we're stopped being labeled hypochondriacs or depressed or that we need to work harder to feel better via more exercising and a better diet. I am so tired of being dismissed knowing in my heart things aren't right.

Also, while I am on Armour Thyroid (a very low dose apparently - read above), it seems that most people start feeling better with that given the proper dosage.

Sending you hope, encouragement and energy to continue this battle for the return to health. It requires so much of us!

Hugs,
Karrie

The Following User Says Thank You to karrie4hope For This Useful Post:
Tired63 (03-24-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrie4hope View Post
1 dosage increase just last week to 40mg and 5mcg of LioT/per day) - NOTHING has caused that level to rise.
I'm curious how you're achieving an Armour dose of 40 mgs, since the tablets come in increments of 15, 30, 60, etc. Are you on a compounded product that can be precisely weighed out in milligrams?

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you've decided things could be better. They really can, but it takes an educated patient to get what she needs. It truly can't be all left up to the doctor.

Hope you'll update us as you move forward.

Old 03-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
(female)

karrie4hope HB User

I do get my Armour from a compounding pharmacy. I've been doing my homework and went to the Forest Labs website to indeed learn that I am on a pediatric dose (for 6-12mon. old baby!)! Cannot believe what a disgrace this is given the quality of life I have settled for. I won't stop until someone treats my FT4 level properly. I *will* keep you updated and many thanks as you have given me hope!

Karrie

Last edited by karrie4hope; 03-24-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Reply Reply

Tags
ft4, hypothyroid, low free t4, pituitary