It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #1
(female)

1happycamper HB User
Unhappy Low T4, Does Armour Thyroid help?

I have had the worst fatigue, low body temperature, the worst feeling of overall malaise with no feeling of wellbeing at all and I need help.

I was started on Armor Thyroid for low T4 and baseline T3 but crashed. Found out I have low adrenal output and treated that for a few months.

Now i'm back on Armour and was wondering if anyone knows if this medication works well for low T4 or should you take the med for T4 specifically.??

Thanks in advance...

Old 03-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

light472 HB Userlight472 HB Userlight472 HB User
Re: Low T4, Does Armour Thyroid help?

Dessicated thyroid (like Armour) has a higher T3/T4 ratio than what the human body needs I believe. This means that Armour should be better at raising T3. This shouldn't be a concern but I've seen a few person taking both synthetic T4 and Armour to balance it out. Still, both your T3 and T4 should go up by taking Armour thyroid.

I'd be curious to hear what dosage your were on when you crashed and how long you took it. I've heard people often crash when left on a "starting dose" for too long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
(female)

1happycamper HB User
Re: Low T4, Does Armour Thyroid help?

Thanks for chiming in.

I started to develop horrible hypoglycemia about 2 months ago without any energy to speak of whatsoever.. Also I was dizzy and my legs felt like cement.

I went to the GYN Dr and he ran my labs and said I was borderline for T3 Free T3 and under on Free T4.

So I started on 30 mg of armour and crashed with the worst hypoglycemia and all the sx becoming 20 times worse within 3 days.

I called the Dr and was referred to a hormonal spec that said I was adrenal insufficient. STarted me on 10 mg of cortisol tid and it helped a great deal.

Then within a few weeks it was waay too much.. I had roid rage! and gained all in my mid section 8 lbs within 2 weeks.

I took myself off slowly and stopped the armour too.

I found out you cannot treat your thyroid with inadequate adrenals so I have been taking therapeutic doses of cortisol with tons of vit C and other adrenal vitamins and alsos eating a certain diet and resting, sleeping til 9 and doing everything within my power to heal my extreme fatigue from caretaking for 7 yrs straight.

Now I just this past week started again on 15 mg of thyroid med and am doing quite well really considering the last go round.

I had labs about a month ago that showed my T4 actually went down alittle more than the first time but my med intake wasn't continual.

So we shall see..

It could be half dozen of this or 6 of another.. Also had a tick bite 2 yrs ago that gave me a horrible infection throughout my body and I had malaria like sx for 2 mos.. Took antibiotics for 2 mos but haven't felt good since that tick bite..

it's been a hell of a ride..at 49 going on 79.

Last edited by 1happycamper; 03-29-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Reply Reply