It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
(female)

erosie HB User
Pregnancy and Hypothyroidism

Hi all,

I'm new to this message board and I am so happy to have come cross it!

I have had hypothyroidsm since high school, I am now 23 years old. I have been on levothyroxine since.

I'm wondering if anyone is trying to conceive or has been pregnant while being previously diagnosed with hypothyroidsm? If so, did you notice it taking you longer or having a more difficult time with it? I've read so many articles on hypo and pregnancy but haven't gotten the answers I've been looking for. This upcoming fall, we are hoping to start trying for a baby. I do see an endro and she has been great by telling me that it's important to come in every 6 weeks for blood work to ensure my levels are where they should be.

But... I am still very worried. I have heard people with hypo are more prone to miscarriages and issues during pregnancy that it makes me nervous and upset that I'm battling this disease.

Please share your experience or what you know!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Pregnancy and Hypothyroidism

As long as your free T4 level is optimal... not merely adequate... you shouldn't have any more trouble with conception and pregnancy than the average healthy woman. For most women, optimal free T4 would be at least 50% of its lab range (median) up to about 70%. Lab ranges vary, but the typical ones would have 1.3 as median and about 1.5-1.6 as 70%.

Generally, for conception and successful pregnancy, TSH should be no higher than about 1.4 and free T4 should be in the upper part of its range.

Very, very high titers of TPO antibodies might pose a problem to pregnancy. If you have them, these can be reduced by up to 40% by taking a daily selenium supplement of 100-200 mcgs per day. I suspect that most prenatal vitamins contain selenium, but the label should be checked before adding a separate Se supplement to the daily regimen. You should not exceed 200 mcgs from all sources per day.

It strikes me odd that you see a doctor every 6 weeks for this after all this time in treatment. That's very atypical. If your levels seem right to you ... That is, if you feel well and have no thyroid-type symptoms ... They don't really need to be checked that often. Once or twice is year is sufficient, unless you have recurrent symptoms that can't be explained by other illnesses.

Good luck with your future plans!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2013, 06:31 AM   #3
(female)

angelamtonkin HB User
Re: Pregnancy and Hypothyroidism

Hmmm I am doing IVF this summer. My TSH is 4.69 and free t4 is .8
I wonder if I should be medicated??

Reply Reply

Tags
hypothyroid question, hypothyroidism, hypothyroidism and infertility, pregnancy complications