It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #1
(female)

MichelleAnne HB User
hypothyroidism and irregular menstrual cycles!

I have hypothyroidism. I have all the classic symptoms and I'm currently on thyroid replacement therapy. I just got my 2nd period that came a week early, my last one did too. I saw my gynecologist and everything was fine. I am a 33 years old and my cycles have always been 27,28,29 days! Never a week early in 2 months straight. My TSH levels have come down from 5.8 to 3.8 within 6 months. I'm not sure what my T3 or T4 was. Is this a normal cause of hypothyroidism? I also have been very cold, and tired of lately with plentiful muscle aches. My mom thinks its just my body changing and getting older. I also will start talking to someone and stop dead in my sentence forgetting what I was talking about, and then it comes to me and then when I am talking I stop again until finally I remember what I was trying to say.

Also my anxiety seems to be better now, it only hits me at night for some reason, use to be 24/7 it only escalates when I start thinking nervous thoughts, I also startle very very easily?! Feels like my nervous system is out of whack!

Last edited by MichelleAnne; 04-07-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
(female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User
Re: hypothyroidism and irregular menstrual cycles!

Hi michelleanne,
I would suggest getting cortisol levels checked, being starled easily and anxiety etc while could be related to thyroid are also to my knowledge strongly suggestive of adrenals struggling. Treating adrenals will assist your thyroid treatment.
Your TSH at 3.8 is still quite high, most people with normal function have a TSH closer to 1. Getting your frees tested is better than the TSH once you are on treatment but your TSH is still too high for someone taking meds. Frees are FT4 and FT3.

It might also be worth checking iron, ferritin, iron saturation, vit D3 along with cortisol for adrenals, these are generally low in people with thyroid issues.

The thyroid and the adrenals can all affect your cycle, cortisol is the precursor for most of our hormones, oestrogen progesterone testosterone thyroid hormones and so on, without correct cortisol all of these can be out of whack. Even low normal cortisol can affect this. If it comes back in the low range (e.g less than 60% of the lab range given) doctors wont look at it, then look at a good naturopath and perhaps acupuncture to get adrenal support, helping the adrenals will also assist with the thyroid issues.
Hope you get some improvements soon.
All the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply