It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
(female)

Shutterbuggg HB User
Question Thyroid cyst disappeared... Another one forming?? Help!!

Hi everyone. I posted back here in November when I was absolutely freaking out because I had a huge visible lump in my thyroid (that seemingly grew overnight) My background: I'm 28, female, healthy! I exercise most days and I'm on the thinner side.. I don't eat red meat.. Eat healthy. I am also on birth control. I also have anxiety and heart palpitations. But otherwise healthy.

My nodule turned out to be a benign complex cyst (3cm). The doctor recommended monitoring it via ultrasound every six months.

So that was about December. I finally got back to my normal (non freaking out) self and slowly but surely I noticed I could no longer see or feel that lump!

Well about 3 weeks ago I felt a noticeable tightness in my thyroid again. On the same side. So I definitely feel that another one formed... But it doesn't seem to be in the exact same spot as the other one. I'm trying to be calm this time around. (i am somewhat traumatized because my dad developed lymphoma and died within months-- but he was very unhealthy and much older) So I just was wondering.. Has anyone experienced anything similar? Please share if so.

I've been trying to do some research on maybe correlation with these nodules and birth control.. Vitamin deficiencies etc. even allergies! I'd also like to know if anyone has insight on that!!!!

Old 04-13-2013, 02:49 PM   #2
(male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User
Re: Thyroid cyst disappeared... Another one forming?? Help!!

I have a cyst too. I can only share what I've learned.

My primary endocrinologist when I told him said, "the thyroid is a delicate vascular organ, that sort of thing happens a lot." Meaning he sees that frequently. He didn't seem to think it was a big deal. So in a word, it's just annoying.

Probably what's happening is you had bleeding into a cyst or nodule. That's why it swelled up and hurt for a bit. And it probably did that again recently. From what I've read it's common. And a problem is they can do a simple drain, but often they fill back up.

Used to be they'd remove half your thyroid. They don't like to do that anymore. And if a doctor wants to do that, get a second opinion. More usually is to drain the cyst a couple of times and hope it eventually stays gone. If not then PEI where they inject alcohol into the cyst to seal it shut.

Anyway damn annoying but isn't going to effect your health.

Good Luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to gloom For This Useful Post:
Shutterbuggg (04-14-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Reece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB UserReece HB User

You may very likely have hashimotos and be hypothyroid, you should post your lab numbers with ranges, that could make cysts that come and go, and thyroid hormone could solve that problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to Reece For This Useful Post:
Shutterbuggg (04-14-2013)
Old 04-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
(female)

Shutterbuggg HB User

Hi Reece i don't have my levels... My doc said nothing was out of the ordinary with my bloodwork (I know that sometimes you have to dig deeper). As far as hashimotos, for what it's worth, I don't feel sluggish.. I haven't gained weight, I have energy throughout the day and not depressed. I have read about hypothyroid and I dunno .. I don't have any symptoms except the cyst. I have a feeling I do have some out of wack hormones tho. Whenever I'm not on the pill, I have horrific cystic acne. I have a feeling this is all related somehow.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
(female)

Shutterbuggg HB User

Hi everyone- just wanted to give a quick update in case anyone is going thru anything similar. I went to an endocrinologist about 2 weeks ago. I took all my paperwork with me (biopsy, blood levels etc) and he explained to me everything about my cyst. He says that my type can just come and go. The tightness just meant maybe it was refilling with fluid and that this is normal. It was nice to talk to someone who dealt with thyroids all day long and wasn't just guessing. He made me feel very assured about everything. And for everyone on this board... he said "as far as the body goes, the thyroid is the EASIEST and BEST thing to deal with!" So in terms of having issues, the thyroid is one that shouldn't be so scary!

I hope this helps someone maybe going through a similar situation.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
(female)

Shutterbuggg HB User

Hi everyone- just wanted to give a quick update in case anyone is going thru anything similar. I went to an endocrinologist about 2 weeks ago. I took all my paperwork with me (biopsy, blood levels etc) and he explained to me everything about my cyst. He says that my type can just come and go. The tightness just meant maybe it was refilling with fluid and that this is normal. It was nice to talk to someone who dealt with thyroids all day long and wasn't just guessing. He made me feel very assured about everything. And for everyone on this board... he said "as far as the body goes, the thyroid is the EASIEST and BEST thing to deal with!" So in terms of having issues, the thyroid is one that shouldn't be so scary!

I hope this helps someone maybe going through a similar situation.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
(male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

Good to see a response. It's always great to deal with a doctor that knows his stuff and how to explain things. As for thyroids being the easiest to deal with, certainly.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
(male)

Woosie9 HB User

Hi Shutterbugg,

Thanks for sharing.i am 67 yrs. I had my left lobe 4.5 cm drained three weeks ago. 95% fluid. some cells was taken from the solid 5% for biopsy. results awaiting.Now I am surprised that the cyst filled up again to the same size, and have slight discomfort and pain swallowing. I am wondering if it will grow even bigger and cause more pain or difficulty in swallowing. As I am travelling in a week from Singapore to Europe for 12 days.I am at a dilemma whether to travel even though my Dr said I can. Do you experience pain and difficulty swallowing like me? Thanks Martin

Old 06-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
(female)

Shutterbuggg HB User
Smile Re: Thyroid cyst disappeared... Another one forming?? Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woosie9 View Post
Hi Shutterbugg,

Thanks for sharing.i am 67 yrs. I had my left lobe 4.5 cm drained three weeks ago. 95% fluid. some cells was taken from the solid 5% for biopsy. results awaiting.Now I am surprised that the cyst filled up again to the same size, and have slight discomfort and pain swallowing. I am wondering if it will grow even bigger and cause more pain or difficulty in swallowing. As I am travelling in a week from Singapore to Europe for 12 days.I am at a dilemma whether to travel even though my Dr said I can. Do you experience pain and difficulty swallowing like me? Thanks Martin
Hi Martin, yours was quite large like mine. If its mostly fluid I would think you'd be fine. When I wrote this post, I was feeling that tightness and it has since gone away and no visible lump formed. No trouble swallowing just a little bit of pain and tightness. Could your trouble swallowing be due to anxiety as well?
From what my doc told me, the fluid filled cysts (or mostly fluid) can kind of just come and go. As gloom said, the thyroid is just very delicate. I wouldn't worry too much even tho it's annoying and especially if your doc gave you the green light to travel. I'm trying this new thing called "listen to my doc and nothing else" especially since I'm prone to hypochondria. Have fun on your trip and don't let this ruin it!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to Shutterbuggg:
Woosie9 (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #10
(male)

Woosie9 HB User

Many thanks for your assurance, it comforted me tremendously, thanks again

Old 06-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
(male)

Woosie9 HB User

Shutterbugg replied my post a few days ago, ( I had a similar cyst where my surgeon drained out the fluid mixed with a bit of blood on 13 jun ) since then the cyst have grown to the same size and still growing. The discomfort in swallowing has increased with a little pain. I am freaked out that if it continue to grow this may become worse.my surgeon assured me I can travel , but I am beginning to lose confidence.my next appointment is 24 Jun when I return from holiday. Any advice. Many thanks

Old 02-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #12
(female)

pati123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloom View Post
I have a cyst too. I can only share what I've learned.

My primary endocrinologist when I told him said, "the thyroid is a delicate vascular organ, that sort of thing happens a lot." Meaning he sees that frequently. He didn't seem to think it was a big deal. So in a word, it's just annoying.

Probably what's happening is you had bleeding into a cyst or nodule. That's why it swelled up and hurt for a bit. And it probably did that again recently. From what I've read it's common. And a problem is they can do a simple drain, but often they fill back up.

Used to be they'd remove half your thyroid. They don't like to do that anymore. And if a doctor wants to do that, get a second opinion. More usually is to drain the cyst a couple of times and hope it eventually stays gone. If not then PEI where they inject alcohol into the cyst to seal it shut.

Anyway damn annoying but isn't going to effect your health.

Good Luck.
Hi Gloom, did you go through PEI or know of anyone who did? Would like to get some advice. Please help if you know. Thanks.

Reply Reply