It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2013, 02:05 AM   #1
(male)

sub7 HB User
Is it possible to have thyroid problem if I have normal TSH, Total T3 and Free T4?

Hi,

I'm new to the board.

Is it possible to have thyroid problem such as hyperthyroidism if I have normal TSH, Total T3 and Free T4?

I am having a lot of anxiety, losing weight and sweating a lot. I also feel hot all the time. I feel I have pain around the neck also. I think I have hyperthyroid. All my symptoms started in Dec 2012.

The doctor checked my thyroid and told me it is normal.

The most recent (Apr/9/2013) result is:
TSH: 2.87mIU/L
Total T3: 113 ng/dL
Free T4: 0.99 ng/dL

Also, my TSH fluctuate a bit during these months.
TSH on 12/13/2012: 0.695
TSH on 12/26/2012: 3.180
TSH on 2/22/2012: 1.940

Is it possible that my thyroid has problem or my thyroid is very normal?

Thank you!

Other info:
I'm male, 29
Other medical problem: low testosterone, anxiety

Old 05-11-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Is it possible to have thyroid problem if I have normal TSH, Total T3 and Free T4

Hello Welcome to Thyroid Board Yes it is possible to have a thyroid problem with "within range" levels. Do you have your lab's reference ranges for FT4 and T3? (FT3 would give you more accurate results, BTW) Your TSH is a bit on the high side (usually healthy people have their TSH around 1, no higher than 2) and with typical US ranges your FT4 would be on the low side - so your current labs would point towards hypo, not hyperT. Symptoms can be confusing, labs will give you a better picture. I think you should have thyroid antibodies (TPOAb, TGAb and TSI) checked, thyroid autoimmunity could explain the fluctuation in your thyroid levels.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 05-11-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
(male)

Hedgehog25 HB User
Re: Is it possible to have thyroid problem if I have normal TSH, Total T3 and Free T4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnMaid View Post
Hello Welcome to Thyroid Board Yes it is possible to have a thyroid problem with "within range" levels. Do you have your lab's reference ranges for FT4 and T3? (FT3 would give you more accurate results, BTW) Your TSH is a bit on the high side (usually healthy people have their TSH around 1, no higher than 2) and with typical US ranges your FT4 would be on the low side - so your current labs would point towards hypo, not hyperT. Symptoms can be confusing, labs will give you a better picture. I think you should have thyroid antibodies (TPOAb, TGAb and TSI) checked, thyroid autoimmunity could explain the fluctuation in your thyroid levels.
FinnMaid, just curious -- howcome FT3 is considered to give more accurate results than FT4?

Old 05-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog25 View Post
FinnMaid, just curious -- howcome FT3 is considered to give more accurate results than FT4?
Actually I meant more accurate than total ie. "plain" T3 But on the other hand FT3 can give you more accurate results - your FT4 may look ok but there may be something wrong with your FT3. T4 is converted to active T3 in your body and T3 is the hormone mainly responsible for symptoms. Most of our thyroid hormones is bound to carrier proteins (and therefore "out of use"), FreeTs measure the unbound amount when total Ts measure both the bound and the unbound. That's why it's better to always check those free amounts.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 05-11-2013 at 11:17 AM.

Old 05-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
(male)

sub7 HB User

Thanks FinnMaid for your response.

Can my thyroid possibly explain my physical anxiety symptoms and fainting/dizziness? I'm really really sick since December with a lot of anxiety and dizziness. Can Hypothyroid do that? Or can the thyroid antibodies do this?

I'm an overall a very happy person with very little to worry. So I do not believe this is from mentally.

This is the reference range:
TSH: 0.35 - 4.94 (The range is so wide...)
Total T3: 58 - 159
Free T4: 0.70 - 1.48

Old 05-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

telus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB User

Sub7

The condition known as “Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis” can cause you to be hypothyroid with bouts of hyperthyroid. This could cause swings in your thyroid labs – like you are seeing.

Poor thyroid function can cause problems with your adrenal glands. Poor thyroid and adrenal function together can cause palpitations or rapid heart rate, and also dizziness. If your “anxiety” is rapid heartbeat, then you are right – it is not mental. It is due to imbalances of your thyroid and adrenal hormones.

You can test to see if you have “Hashi” by getting lab tests suggested by Finnmaid - the thyroid antibodies TPOAb, TGAb and TSI.

Your doctor does not seem to help you much. It might be a good idea to try another one or get him to refer you to an endocrinologist. Or maybe try a Naturopathic Doctor.
good luck

Old 05-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
(male)

sub7 HB User

Overall, my symptoms are: dizziness, fainting feeling, fast heart rate, hot flashes. Sometimes some fear. I also have extremely low libido. I have erection problem also.

These all started in December of 2012.

It is so hard to convince a doctor that I truly have a medical problem. I saw at least 3 doctors. They kept saying they checked my thyroid many times (meaning the TSH only) and that they are normal. They sent me to see a psychiatrist and nothing seems to work.

I agree what Telus said -- "It is due to imbalances of your thyroid and adrenal hormones. " I have checked my blood cortisol and everytime it come backs below normal. The endocrinologist always says it is just a bit below normal and therefore I am normal.

Is there anyway to ask a doctor to further check my thyroid antibodies? I went to my doctor's office on Friday and he didn't want to do anymore blood tests. Do you guys know of any good Doctor in the Seattle, USA area?

I also have low testosterone (discovered when I was 24). My testosterone was 238 (normal is 300+). It seems that there is something wrong to my hormone system.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

telus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB Usertelus HB User

try a Naturopathic Doctor such as Dr Martin Milner in Portland Oregon...

Old 05-12-2013, 03:23 AM   #9
(male)

sub7 HB User

I also have eye symptoms that maybe related.

I have super dry eyes. 2 weeks ago, I had a very large cornea abrasion. Doctor think that was caused by dry eye (eye lid rub against the cornea).

I had the dry itchy eyes almost the same time with all those mania/depression/anxiety symptoms.

I just wonder if my eye problem is related to the thyroid.

Reply Reply