It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
(female)

nuddle HB User
Trying to find the right medication

I have been on T4 only meds for two and a half years, with no reprieve in symptoms whatsoever, over the last 12 months, symptoms got worse. A few months ago, I had enough, so consulted Dr google, and found that there are actually other options other then just thyroxine and put up with the crappy symptoms.
I am currently trying some T3 as well as thyroxine, have cut the thyroxine right back to 50 mcg a day, and am taking 20 mcg of T3 split into two doses.

But its not really doing much for my symptoms at all, so really thinking this is not for me either, would ideally like to try tyroid extract, but convincing my Dr is another story, plus I keep hearing that I need to clear my too high reverse T3, and up my iron before considering that.

Has anyone here had success treating with both T3 and T4? Or thyroid extract?
Free T3 4.0 pmol/L (2.8-6.8)
Anti-Thyroid Peroxidase Ab 580 U/mL (<60)
Ferritin 36 ug/L (15-290)
Nuddle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2013, 06:12 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

FinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB UserFinnMaid HB User
Re: Trying to find the right medication

How much did you cut back on your T4 when you started taking T3? Cutting back on T4 may be the reason you're not feeling much better. One may not need to reduce one's T4 at all when starting T3 especially if one's FT4 is not on the high side to begin with. I've been on T4/T3 combination for 7 years pretty succesfully (had to adjust my doses frequently but haven't considered changing meds) and couldn't cut back on T4 at all.

Last edited by FinnMaid; 07-14-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB Userlisa789 HB User

hi there,

The adjustments made don't make sense with the labs you mention.
TSH is still too high, although it's not all that reliable it sure is too high for a treated hypo and indicates you still need an increase.
FT4 is below range so decreasing T4 is just crazy.
FT3 is not all that bad (compared to FT4) so at first sight you don't seem to have converting issues. The best thing to do in my opinion is first try to get that FT4 up and see where that brings you.
The current changes (less T4 and a lot T3 -> 20 is quite a lot) won't make you feel better imo.

hang in there

Old 07-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
(male)

lakeshow24 HB User

Wait a second. You said you had high reverse t3. Did you actually get that checked? I currently have high rt3 and I know that taking anything with t4 makes it worse due to the fact that the t4 is being converted into rt3 instead of t3. This blocks t3 from getting into the receptors. I am using only t3 to clear the rt3. I am on week 7 of t3 only and am on 100 mcg. It is supposed to take 8-12 weeks to clear the rt3.

Also, my guess as to why you are having symptoms is because you are using t4 with your t3. This may be the case even if you don't have high rt3. You might want to try looking into NDT or consider taking t3 alone. My .02

Reply Reply