It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
(female)

IluvTigger HB User
Levoxyl, then Levothyroxine, then Synthroid, now what?

In December 2007 I had a total thyroidectomy. Was on Levoxyl until this past year when I went to pick up prescription I found out Levoxyl was taken off the market and I was switched to Levothyroxine. After a while I didn't think I was feeling as well (fatigue/low energy) so last month I asked to be switched to Synthroid.

After 2 weeks on it, I got sick and went to the doctor and thought I was having a bout of diverticulitis. (nausea/vomiting/abdominal cramping/diahrrea). Since I was so nauseated I was unable to take my Synthroid in the morning. I began to feel better. This past Tuesday I took my dose of Synthroid in the morning and by afternoon I was having repeat symptoms Nausea/cramping/diahrrea). I went off the Synthroid for 2 days. This morning I was feeling back to normal, and I took another dose of Synthroid. You guessed it - all symptoms back. My Endo's office was closed for the day so I called 2 pharmacies and they both said I could be sensitive to something in the Synthroid. I called my regular Dr. and she said to stay off the Synthroid through the weekend and call my Endo on Monday.

I did some research and found that Synthroid has lactose monohydrate in it and Levothyroxine has sucrose in it. Both of which I am sensitive to.

So my question is now what do I do? I had no problems whatsoever with Levoxyl and was really disappointed when they took it off the market. I hear it will be be back sometime in 2014 but in the meantime, what should I suggest I try to my Endo? I'm calling her on Monday.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Levoxyl, then Levothyroxine, then Synthroid, now what?

Levothroid's inert ingredients include microcrystalline cellulose, calcium phosphate dibasic, povidone and magnesium stearate. Tirosint is a newer product that contains only gelatin, glycerin and water as inerts.

You might be able to have a compounding pharmacy make up encapsulated T4 without offending binders, fillers, or dyes.

You could also try a natural desiccated thyroid replacement. Their inert ingredients vary, but that information is readily available on the net or from any registered pharmacist.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:39 PM   #3
(female)

IluvTigger HB User
Re: Levoxyl, then Levothyroxine, then Synthroid, now what?

Thanks for the quick reply. I will definitely ask my Endo about your suggestions. Hopefully we can come up w/something. Wishing Levoxyl comes back on the market sooner than later. Figures the one drug I can tolerate gets pulled.

Reply Reply