It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2002, 06:14 PM   #1
(female)

sueb69 HB User
Post lysis and lavage

Has anyone received lysis/lavage for TMJ treatment. I had it about 2 months ago and went from 20 mm opening to 38mm, which was great! I had a bit of pain after (should have; the dr. had my mouth wide open while I was under). But now, I feel that it is wearing off. Has anyone had this procedure and how long did it last? Did you have to have it repeated or did you move on to next step (open surgery). Thanks!
-Sue

Old 10-16-2002, 03:13 PM   #2

kathvl HB User
I had a lavage back in February. It seemed to work for a while but the pain returned. I just had "open jaw" surgury two weeks ago. Recovery was a lot more difficult than I expected and I am still recovering. Do all that you can before you resort to the surgery. It was not fun!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2002, 04:34 PM   #3

lisalee62 HB User
Kathy, What type of surgery did you have? What did they find when they did the surgery and what has your outcome been so far? lisa

Old 10-17-2002, 10:39 AM   #4
Inactive

Elaine HB User
Sue,
I am assuming this is to relieve scar tissue and adhesions, right? I had this done two months after my third surgery. Scar tissue builds fast and seems to come back, no matter what you do. I went through months of physical therapy to keep from losing my opening. Right now I am at 10mm, with a loose implant and need more surgery.Problem, NO INSURANCE for this great imposter!!!
Elaine

Old 10-18-2002, 05:02 PM   #5

kathvl HB User
I am not sure what the technical name for the surgury that I had is but I can describe it. I am lucky, my disks were not dislocated, just disteneded and somewhat shreded...my doc stitched the disks back together and tacked it to the bone. He said stress and clenching my jaw caused the shredding of my disks. I will be in a split 24/7 for at least three months and then at night for the rest of my life. I am hoping for a full recovery. My opening is at 20mm right now and I am doing exercises everyday. I am almost three weeks out from surgery. I have been back to work for one week. I worked 9.5 hours for the first three days back to work and completely wore myself out so my doc put me on half days for next week. I am hoping for the best. Every day is better than the last!

Old 10-19-2002, 02:23 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
SueB,
I have had lysis/lavage twice along with open joint surgery. The first time in '92 (I had only shreds of soft tissue). They replaced it with ear cartilage. I was pain free for about 2 years. In '97 I had it again to remove the shredded ear cartilage. They did not put anything back in. I have not done very well since. I tried to get something done a few months ago and was told that lavage would be the only procedure they might consider and that recovery would be long and hard and that if it helped, it would only be for a short time. I think once the cartilage (disc) starts to deteriorate and the more times they go in, the more damage and scar tissue you get. My Dr. even told me that he did not know if he could get through the scars with a scope. After 25 years of trying everything that has been available, I think the less invaisive treatments are the best.
Good Luck,
Cymy Sue

Old 10-19-2002, 07:14 AM   #7

lisalee62 HB User
Elaine, I don't want this to sound stupid but it might. How did you know your implant was loose? lisa

Old 10-19-2002, 10:24 PM   #8
Inactive

Elaine HB User
lisa,
I have a hung up feeling and if I can get my mouth open wide enough to release the hung up feeling the joint pops. This is a sign that the implant is loose. I have had two opinions and even the implanting surgeon feels that the screws are loose.
After doing lots of research and reading,one of the things they fail to tell you, chances are the implants can't handle the pressure(load) of the jaw joint. This is very common, little did I know...
Total joints last roughly seven years according to what I read.
Take care,
Elaine
PS. It wasn't a stupid question, hope that makes you feel better.

Old 10-19-2002, 10:30 PM   #9
Inactive

Elaine HB User
Sue,
I agree with you. The more times you have surgery, the less chance it is going to do any good. Surgery causes scar tissue and the more surgery, the more scar tissue.
If one surgery doesn't do the job, I don't know how they think another one is going to be any different. The way I feel at this point, one surgery is one tooo many.
Elaine

Closed Thread