It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2002, 08:32 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

trowftd3 HB User
Question More questions

I'm going to see my doctor on Monday. Should I just have her refer me to someone or should she be doing something? What should I have done besides xrays? 16 yrs ago I was diagnosed with disc displacement, degenerative arthritis, tendinitis, myalgia, hyperplasia, etc...do I need an MRI?
Just wondering where to start and what I should make sure happens and what is a waste of my time.
Thanks for your help!!!--Michelle

Old 11-03-2002, 06:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

crystalll HB User
Hi Michelle,

Is your doctor a dentist who specializes in diagnosing and treating TMJ dysfunction? If not, then you are probably wasting your time.
Some tests that can be used to diagnose TMJD include; tomograms, panoramic xrays, joint vibration analysis, MRI, etc. If they're not doing most of these things then they can't get a proper idea of the position of your condyle within the joint.
I've found that we have to be our own advocates when it comes to this disorder, so if you don't get answers with this doctor, move on until you find someone who you're satisfied with.

Crystal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2002, 01:33 PM   #3

paintitbetter HB User
I agree with crystal. They're many different theories among different doctors, So it would be wise to seek different opinions.

In my opinion, the main test for TMJD is an MRI of the Temporomandibular. Without an MRI, It is impossible for an accurate diagnoses.
Mark

Closed Thread