It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2002, 07:25 PM   #1
(female)

Sapphie HB User
Question TMJ and alcohol?

Ok, I have never been properly diagnosed with TMJ, but considering all the reading I have done and the plain truth that doctors are quacks, I have decided to diagnose myself. Months ago, my jaw locked open in the middle of the night, and it took 3 chiropractors an hour to unlock it. Since then, at the moment, I have been grinding my teeth considerably in my sleep, especially after drinking. My jaw has been KILLING me for the past 5 days. It feels as though it is being held together by rubber bands that are being stretched to the maximum. I do not have health insurance, so I cannot afford the doctor at this time, so I am prescribing myself alcohol thinking it will maybe relax my joints. Am I a fool to think that this may help? Even as a temporary solution? Or is it the alcohol that has indeed made my situation worse???? I would appreciate anybody elses comments and experiences.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2002, 09:20 PM   #2
Veteran

Marlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB User
Hi Sapphie,

Alcohol's significant effect on the liver, and thus the rest of the body chemistry, introduces the potential for muscle spasm. It can also aggravate true migraine headaches. Alcohol tends to burn a number of vitamins out of the body, creating deficiency states when consumed in high concentrations. Even moderate consumption can reduce tissue levels of certain vitamins, especially folic acid, which are required for optimum muscle function. The reduction of folic acid increases muscle irritability.

Hope this helps answer your question!
Marlene

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2002, 09:45 PM   #3
Inactive

Elaine HB User
Sapphie,
Marlene is right about the migraine headaches, especially if you are prone to migraines. Some of my worst puking headaches, were caused by alcohol because I wanted to "try" to relax. Ugghhhh!! Alcohol tends to trigger the nerves big time...
Not worth it, although it was certainly fun at the time. I didn't look good as a "Porcelin Goddess".
Take care,
Elaine

Old 11-08-2002, 12:27 AM   #4
Veteran

thisstarr HB User
Hi,

I think that drinking alcohol is going to make your TMJ feel worse. I know everytime I try to go out and have some drinks with my friends to forget about my pain,I am suffering from it big time later. My pain seems to triple and I am wanting to bang my head to make it stop. You really need to go see a doctor that can give you some medication to help you with your pain, drinking alcohol everyday for your pain is not helping you one bit, it is actually hurting your body in more ways then one...

I hope you can find a good doctor to help you so you can stop drinking alcohol for you pain...

Take care,
Starr

[This message has been edited by thisstarr (edited 11-08-2002).]

Closed Thread