It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2002, 05:30 PM   #1

Lori3 HB User
Question Crackling noises in ear?

Today I developed a new symptom! My ear started to ache so I knew something was up. When I opened and closed my mouth I heard a crackling sound in my ear. Anyone have that? Only lasted a few hours and then went away. So weird!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2002, 11:10 PM   #2
Inactive

justanotherday HB User
does it sound like rice crispies? i to have had this crackling sound from my ear that sounds like rice crispies i am not sure if the sound is coming from the joint or the ear itself

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2002, 10:47 AM   #3

paintitbetter HB User
Yes, This is one of my most annoying symptoms. Every time I move my head I have a crackling, rice crispy sound. I have three major symptoms that seem to work together. Crackling, Ear fullness and tinnitus (the worst symptom) When the crackling lessens so does the fullness and the T. It sounds like its my ear, but my doctor tells me its crepitis in my TM joint. I'm thinking it might have something to do with my eustachian tubes. I constantly get flare ups, I have one now. My ears feel, full, wet, and any slight head movement or walking will cause a crackling Rice crispy sound in my ears. I guess I should be thankful these are my only TMJD symptoms. I do not have any pain. But the Tinnitus spikes are tough. Anyone else have anything similar? Any advice?

I have got improvement from wearing my repositioning splint. (14 months) But the flare ups keep coming back, Not as intense as they use too. My doctor wants me to try physical therapy to try to stabilize the muscles. Any one ever get Any relief from PT? I have been searching for one that will take my insurance. Thanks for any replies or advice.
Lori, do you have any other ear symptoms?
Mark

Old 11-09-2002, 03:39 PM   #4

Lori3 HB User
Mark, Ear symptoms are really the only discomfort that I have. When I start to feel discomfort in my ear I'll open and close my mouth and hear the crackling sound in my ear. I'll also get a pain deep down in my ear when I open and close. Occasionally I'll get a pulling or stretching sensation along my jaw. I used to get the ear fullness but don't get that anymore. Does your ear hurt when you push on it? I had pain today and it only lasted about 1/2 hr. or so. I could feel pain/discomfort along my jaw, down my neck and in my ear when I turned my head too far. This is just the weirdest thing! BTW, my hubby was born and raised in Buffalo. Are you a Bills Fan? We live in Indiana now so he's the one and only Bills fan around here. Poor guy! LOL

Old 11-09-2002, 06:54 PM   #5

paintitbetter HB User
Lori, I don't experience any pain with my TMJD. Sometimes When I press on the side of my jaw I get a crackling sound, kinda like tearing paper, in my right ear. Sometimes, while lying in bed I hear a gurgling sound in my right ear. Very weird.

After 5 years of this, I remain optimistic. I have been improving. Every flare up is a little less intense. Who knows maybe someday I will feel normal again.

I hear Indiana is a very popular football state. But if I posted that I wasn't a Bills fan. People would kick the door in, drag me out kicking and screaming. It's the law. You must accept the fact that your husband will always be a Bills fan. No matter what.
Mark

[This message has been edited by paintitbetter (edited 11-09-2002).]

Old 11-09-2002, 10:58 PM   #6
Inactive

Elaine HB User
The crackling is crepitus, which is osteo-arthritis.
Wear and tear on the joint...I was told to have surgery to save my joint. What did I end up with???? You guessed it!!!
Elaine

Old 11-10-2002, 10:35 AM   #7

Lori3 HB User
Elaine, Thanks for your reply. The crackling noises I hear are in my ear, not my jaw. But I hear them when I open and close my mouth. Which area are you referring to, jaw crackling or ear crackling?

Old 11-10-2002, 12:47 PM   #8
Inactive

Elaine HB User
The noises are actually in the jaw joint but it sounds like they are in the ear. With mine, it sounds like both...Gravel pit!!! Mine is heard when I open and close my mouth or any movement of the jaw. I know mine is from the osteo-arthritis and having too many surgeries....
Take care,
Elaine

Old 11-10-2002, 08:09 PM   #9
Inactive

Elaine HB User
Mark,
I get crackling in my neck with head movement, but not in my ear or jaw. The neck is connected with my whiplash accident just like the rest of me, ugghhh!
Have you been to a ENT,(ear,nose, throat) doctor. I have never had the symptoms you describe, especially the gurgling, but anything is possible. Doctors think we are nuts alright, and if we don't get some answers soon, we may be insane!!!
I am pretty positive about my back surgery, mainly because I trust the doctor. A friend of mine went to him and she turned out great so I am not worried about the surgery part of it. This one doesn't use cages and for that I am glad. I have heard they have a tendency to slip.(Don't tell your friend that) Believe me, after what I have been through with oral surgeons,I am very picky when it comes to my spine. I only wish I was as smart way back then, as I am now!!!
Thanks for the good wishes,
Elaine

Old 11-10-2002, 08:26 PM   #10

mbr22 HB User
Hi Elaine - When I turn/twist my neck, it sounds like a chunk of gravel breaking into small pieces of sand. It doesn't hurt, but it doesn't sound right. I mean, it is pretty loud (to me).

I have had an MRI of the neck, which apparently came out negative. However, I have had a mild concussion playing football, and two minor car accidents were I got rear ended and side swiped, as well as a motorcycle accident (none were my fault, either!).

I suppose those "minor" injuries can obviousely contribute to TMD problems, but all x-rays and MRI's are negative (in regards to my neck).

Thanks for any input,
a confused mbr

Closed Thread