It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2003, 05:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Question Bottom teeth hit back of front top teeth

Hi Guys:
My bottom teeth(in the front) hit the back side of my upper front teeth when I close my mouth. And it feels like they are pushing up against my upper front teeth really hard. Does anyone know if this is normal? http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif
Tiffany

Old 04-23-2003, 05:37 PM   #2

Al4 HB User
Tiffany,

I asked my DR that same question, and he said that is the normal position of the lower front teeth with respect to the upper front teeth. I hope he is right.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2003, 05:43 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Al4:
Thanks for your quick reply. I'm glad you have asked this question and been given an answer. It really concerns me because it feels so jammed up. I hope they are right as well.
Tiffany

Old 04-23-2003, 06:36 PM   #4

Al4 HB User
Tiffany,

I just want to clarify my post. I meant that the top front teeth are slightly forward of the bottom front teeth when closing the mouth. I think the teeth glide over each other when moving the lower jaw forward and backward. I am not sure about lower front teeth hitting the back side of the upper front teeth and feeling jammed though. May be others can give you more specific answers.

Old 04-24-2003, 08:54 PM   #5

KMX HB User
Hi TiffanyAnn,
I wanted to let you know that the first sign my son and I had that we had TMJ was our top teeth hitting on top of our bottom teeth. This means that the bottom jaw is trying to come forward from a trapped position. If you have had orthodontics than I would say you have the same problem my son and I have, that the orthodontist moved your lower jaw back and the brought you top teeth in to hold this force position which caused your TMJ. If you haven't had orthodontics it still supports that you lower jaw is trapped posteriorly and is trying to come forward to relieve your TMJ and correct your lower jaw position. Either way it's not got because it will cause wear and damage to your teeth and gums and it needs to be addressed as soon as possible. My sons teeth started doing this and within 2 months he had 2 deep groves worn in his front teeth. The hard contact can also cause root resorption, it needs to be addressed as soon as possible. Also it's a major sign that your jaw joints are damaged and they will continue to suffer damage unless you get the proper treatment which would begin with a proper fitting splint to protect your teeth and jaw joints. If the doctor you seeing won't address this problem, find one who will because it will only get worse.
Kelly

Old 04-25-2003, 05:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Hi Kelly:
It sounds like the problem your son and you have is a little bit different than what I have going on. With mine my bottom teeth hit the back side of my top teeth really hard when I close my mouth. But I have had orthodontic work and have come to learn that what caused my problem was my orthodontist pulled 4 teeth and then moved the front teeth back into the place where the missing teeth were and that is what caused my TMJ problem. I dare not guess how many people have TMJ due to them having braces. My dad would roll over in his grave if he knew that after all the money he spent on braces I ended up with this bad a problem. I realize that the longer I wait for treatment the worse the problem will be and I am looking for help but on a very tight budget so I'm not having all that much luck. But I hope to find help soon.
Tiffany

Closed Thread