It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2003, 06:15 PM   #1

rach923 HB User
Post TMJ Disorder...What are your symptoms???

alright...i'm new here, so you can find my medical history under "digestive disorders"- thats my mainline prob, but i figured i could post on here too, cause i also have really bad tmj...my jaw started "clicking" when i was in 3rd grade, and i got braces in 7th grade, with a bite plate the first month to correct an overbite...after that was corrected, the clicking was supposed to go away...it didn't, so he put a bite plate on my retainer when my braces came off a year later..that worked for awhile, until my jaws persisted in aching, this was about a year ago (i'm 17 now)- i was getting headaches and jaw aches, so made a lower mold to prop my jaw open from the bottom...this worked great!...for awhile...then, although the tension was gone, my right jaw started locking constantly, and so he ,molded acrylic on it with the impression of my upper teeth so that whenever i have the splint in, i have a propped-open underbite...kinda unattractive, but nevertheless relieving..now, as long as i keep the splint in, i'm cool, but when i take it out for more than 20 min...ouch!! and eating is sometimes difficult, because, to chew without my jaw locking, the bite i have to use only allows my teeth to touch in the back on the LEFT side...but its better then locking i suppose...just looking for similar experiences and suggestions for a more successful treatment..oh, and by the way, my orthodontist (just like my GI doc for another prob) doesn't wanna do surgery, cause "it might do nothing, and it probably won't eliminate the problem completely...any comments or suggestions??? thanks

August 1999: diagnosed with GERD and IBS...put on zantac, then aciphex
Spring 2000: diagnosed with TMJ...have lower splint
September 2000: hospitalized for failure to thrive due to malnutrition and dehydration; fed with ng tube for 3 months, put on prilosec
2001-02: developed chronic sinusitis/rhinitis from NG tube, put on nasonex and allegra
January 2002: switched GI's, diagnosed with hiatal hernia, switched to nexium, added peppermint oil, put on bentyl PRN for pain, zoloft for nausa
March 2003: IBS getting worse, switched PRN bentyl to BID levbid ER
May 2003: diagnosed with asthma from GERD, put on advair and singulair, albuterol PRN
May 2003: back pain and limited mobility, caused by 2002 car accident and dance injury, unidentified
April-June 2003: minor ear irritation and hearing problems, and extra sinus swelling, unidentified
May-June 2003: heartburn recurring even with meds!- GI put me on 40mg Pepcid Rx in the morning and at bedtime...Seems to be holding over till August...
July: chest x-ray came back, found mild thoracic scoliosis, and small "heart shadowing", EKG results are coming...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread