It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2003, 11:47 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
Unhappy Temporalis muscle....burning...

Hey all,

My son's been complaining that the temporalis muscle (above the ear, on the side of the head) has just been burning the past few days, badly. Anyone else have this problem with burning?

Cheryl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2003, 07:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
Hi Cheryl,

I've had this to happen frequently. The temporal muscles have been a problem for me for a long time.

Is the top of Mike's head sore, almost like a bruised feeling? (If you already have mentioned this and I missed it, I'm sorry) I was told years ago by an OS that when the temporals spasm or pull, your head will be sore where they attach to each side, almost on top, and they will burn. Sometimes they can also cause some real weird pain and sensations.

I would mention it to his Doctor. It may not be the same for everyone. I decided a long time ago, no matter how weird my fears seemed to me, about different aches and pains, I would just ask the Doctor. It's better than being scared. Sometimes, they will have the answers.

I'm really sorry he's having to go through all of this.
I know you are about "nuts" trying to make sure all of these symtoms are TMJD related and not something else.

I know you're taking care of Mike, please take care of yourself.

Cymy Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2003, 06:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
Cymy Sue,

Thanks for your response. He explains it as the temporal muscles seem to be clamping and squeezing really hard against his skull and lately since he's not been wearing his splint, he's probably clenching more. He said that they do burn bad, though, especially the past few nights. He describes it as "feels like it's on fire". I caught him in the bathroom last night with one of those tape thermometers holding it on the side of his head. I couldn't help to giggle inside wondering what on earth he was doing. Apparently, he wanted to see if the muscles (since they felt like they were burning) were actually like 104 degrees or so! I talked to the doctor today, he said that it is a tmjd symptom, I guess when the muscles get too irritated or inflamed, they tend to feel like they're burning. He doesn't say that they feel bruised, just like squishing his skull. He said that if it were possible to drill holes in his head, he said it would feel good to have the pressure come out.

I've had that sensation before with the temporal muscles, but I wanted to get someone else's opinion. It seems as though when my neck bothers me and goes on for a while, the muscles in my head would burn. Now, I also have fibro, so I've never been sure when my neck hurt whether it was fibro or tmjd. Like you said in an earlier thread, alot of these disorders tend to overlap. I'm sure you understand what I mean since you have fibro, also.

Thank you again, Cymy Sue for helping me out again.

Cheryl

Closed Thread