It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2003, 04:27 PM   #1

sandra1 HB User
Post Functional jaw orthodontics?

Hello everybody!

This is a great site to be on. I have learned alot about tmjd through this board. It's great that we can all support one another like this.

I have a question for anyone who has actually been to a "functional jaw orthopedics/orthodontics for their tmjd regarding wearing functional jaw orthodontic(not traditional fixed braces)? Did you have really good results with this treatment? Any comments or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Sandi

[This message has been edited by sandra1 (edited 05-02-2003).]

Old 05-01-2003, 09:52 PM   #2

SueSt HB User
Hi. My TMJ started as a complication of orthodontic treatment.
I did visit a functional orthodontist. He did seem to know more about the jaw function than my orthodontist, who continues to insist that the TMJ is caused by a bad bite - which he is correcting, so the symptoms should not be getting worse. My orthodontist actually never checked the jaw function and bases his treatment strictly on the visual things he sees in my mouth. (Needless to say, he is a very bad orthodontist!)
The functional orthdontist I saw wanted to give me a full mouth splint made from a hard, clear acrylic that would completely cover the bottom teeth and have little indentations for the top teeth. It would not have allowed eating solid foods, and talking would be difficult. I did not end up going this route.
I don't know if this helps - I hope so. Please be aware that orthdontic treatment can CAUSE TMJ. It would not be wise to undergo orthodontic treatment to correct your TMJ, since moving the teeth will really make the TMJ symptoms worse. Address the TMJ first, then do orthodontic treatment if you need to.
Best wishes-
Sue St

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread