It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2003, 09:01 PM   #1

purrsia HB User
Question Do I have TMJ?

Hi...I was reading over the subjects and answers to questions, but I couldn't find out exactly what the syptoms are of TMJ.
Maybe someone can let me know if this sounds like it. Ever since I've been little, I have never been able to open my mouth completely without it popping. Its almost like my jaws set in their own place while open completely. Does that make sense? Anyway, within the last month I have noticed that on the right side of my jaw, it doesn't seem to close correctly. Its like my teeth on that side don't fit right, but they really do. I have to move my jaw around alot before I can even bite down to eat...kind of like warm-ups or something. Does that sound similiar to what TMJ is? I haven't been to the doctor yet for this..I just haven't had time due to six children at home, but I am planning to go here soon.
Also, I have had bouts of dizziness/vertigo. I take Meclizine everynight before bed, otherwise I wake up spinning. I don't feel any fullness in my ears or head. The dizziness panics me badly and I feel like I'm falling down the deep end. I cannot have dizziness because I have to take care of my kids and my hubby works 2nd shift so he is hardly home. So, does this sound like anyone? Between my jaw and the dizziness, I'm going nuts here. Please help!
AND YES, I am going to the doctor soon!!

Old 05-02-2003, 08:42 AM   #2

mark g HB User
It's likely that you have a TMJ condition - the jaw not being able to open wide, the clicking sounds, and the perceived deviation. As the eustachian canal is next to the joint, inflammation and some blockage of normal drainage can result, causing the dizziness. There are, of course, other conditions that can cause the dizziness you describe (in conjunction with or separately from the TMJ). (It's allergy season, for one.) There is no substitute for proper diagnos(es), but what you describe is consistent with TMJ. How you have the TMJ treated, however, is a different story - massage therapy of the various jaw muscles is one modality. (In my case, although I have a TMJ condition, massage therapy keeps my jaw muscles reasonably well aligned.) There are various muscle groups that can cause earaches, dizziness and pain (e.g., the deep massater). Janice Travell, M.D.'s two-volume work on muscular trigger points is considered the standard text. Last week, I consulted the TNJ clinic at NYU Dental School in New York - there I met with one of the faculty and a very experienced P/T. There may be a similar teaching hospital in your area. In a couple of weeks, I have an appointment at the headache clinic (dept. of neurology) at a teaching hospital (I have some arthritis and headaches may be migraines and not only muscular-tension type). Also, I had recent root canal and perio problems, shooting pain in that area... Sounds like whatever condition you have is flaring up - a deep cavity (which can be in need of immediate treatment) could be acting up.
Raising six kids is a real balancing act.... (Personally, I find that a hot shower is what gives me most relief from pain - doesn't fix the condition, but make pain and dizziness tolerable.) Good luck. (I'm rarely on the site.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread