It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2003, 04:48 PM   #1

ljs3 HB User
Post What was your first 'sign' of trouble?

How did this all start for you? I've read that lots of you started with ear pain and it progressed to other problems. What was your first 'sign' that something wasn't right?

Old 04-30-2003, 05:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

crystalll HB User
The first sign that I was aware of was a chronic ear ache. That was about 4-5 years ago, and it has gone downhill since then. Thinking back, I realize I had other symptoms, but it was the ear ache that took me to the doctor's office.

Crystal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2003, 07:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
My first sign of trouble was my jaw began popping shortly after getting my braces removed.
Tiffany

Old 04-30-2003, 08:04 PM   #4
Veteran

HRevero HB User
My first sign was when I came off the roller coaster ride and I could not walk even after 10min. When I still felt very banged up after a month I knew something really happened to me on that ride. The very next day after the roller coaster my ears were very sensitive. The doctors told me I had a headache and perscribed tylenol, but also gave me a neck brace. that should have been my first clue. All of my symptoms really happened overnight for me. That roller coaster broke my body in a way I never dreamed of. The hardest part for me about that evening was I was the one convincing my friends that we needed to go on it. It was our last ride. I never thought it was going to be my last ride forever. I remeber how I used to be... and I see how I am today, talk about living to different lives. I used to be normal, now i don't even know that means.
Heather

Old 05-01-2003, 06:04 AM   #5

jladams HB User
Hello.

Like Crystal, my first sign was a chronic earache but looking back now I realize that my jaw popping and clicking as far back as I can remember wasn't normal like I thought it was. Anyone else have popping and clicking for a loooong time before any other symptoms showed up? Is that weird?

jladams

Old 05-01-2003, 06:18 AM   #6

mek918 HB User
Well, I had really awful headaches for years and never could pinpoint why. But that I don't consider my first sign bc I never did anything about it.

About 3 years ago one day I just couldn't turn my head. Then all the sudden I had unbelievable feeling of fullness/pressure in my ears. It would not let up and I truly felt like sticking a knife in my ear to try to relieve the pain. I can't even describe how awful it was - lasted for a couple months and no one could figure out what was wrong. I have experience a few other bouts with "fullness" but seriously nothing like this. I thought my head was going to explode. And my back/neck hurt so much I could barely get out of bed.

Old 05-01-2003, 07:19 AM   #7
Veteran

Marlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB UserMarlene HB User
Cool

My symptoms first presented after an acute ear infection. At the time, I thought I just had a bad case of the flu (nausea, vomitting, dizziness, etc.). After the acute episode was over, the dizziness/light-headedness/"swimming" sensation in my head remained, along with ear fullness/pressure.

Marlene

Old 05-01-2003, 07:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

crystalll HB User
jladams,

Yes, I had the clicking jaw for YEARS before I knew anything was wrong! I forgot about that. At the time I just thought it was normal.

Crystal

Old 05-01-2003, 08:14 AM   #9

GJA HB User
vertigo for about 12 seconds, then complete loss of balance--like i was on a boat---a constant hangover
feeling-earfulllness

-greg

Old 05-01-2003, 11:18 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User
Hi: I had headaches/facial pain for many years and left ear pain. Then it progressed to dizziness/balance problems and tooth and gum pain. Sue

Old 05-03-2003, 05:26 PM   #11

sandra1 HB User
My first signs were: a slight weird dizzness in the head that lasted for a few years that would come and go, a clicking in my right ear when I would bite into a apple or something, but rarely, and then a full blown tmjd after yawning and felt a pull along my jaw from the ear. Headaches and pains came with it.

[This message has been edited by sandra1 (edited 05-04-2003).]

Old 05-03-2003, 11:18 PM   #12

p-nacho HB User
Hey all! Mine started with a horrible ear infection plus plane right that sucked the fluid in. My voice changed tremendously.. then the jaw started aching. I went to have a hearing test as I couldn't hear certain sound very well. The hearing doctor said that loss of hearing wouldn't change my voice that drastically that fast. hehe I still remember her standing back staring at my face.. then touching my cheeks saying 'there is something odd going on here and I suggest you go to doctor right away'.

p

Old 05-03-2003, 11:38 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
Hi,

My son's first signs began following a sinus infection.(while having braces on) Mine-I was in a pretty bad car accident (whiplash) and shortly thereafter blew up 100 balloons for a birthday party, (putting too much stress on the muscles, I guess) and the rest is history.

Cheryl

Old 05-04-2003, 01:41 AM   #14

tessjs HB User
Hi Mine was bad tooth ache on the right and in the gums then progressed to not being able to eat my jaw was so sore Ear fullness popping ringing in the ears headaches all related or caused by a neck problem supposidly although I'm starting to wonder. Dreadful stuff all in 2001 sought physio thought i was going ok till a week ago got a severe cold and have many of the symptoms back. Hilarious hey.

Closed Thread