It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2003, 10:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB UserCherylLynn24 HB User
Question Myofacial pain.....tmjd???

Hi,

I have another yet silly question. I've read that 90% of people with "tmjd" problems actually don't have a disorder with the joint itself, but a muscular problem. Myofacial pain dysfunction or syndrome. Now, I've also read that, if untreated, this can result in a joint problem. Now, the people that don't have actual joint disorders or damage, do they technically have "MPD or MPS"? Half of my son's doctor's refer to his problem as MPD and the other half tmjd. Which is it? For instance, those on this board that do not have any detectable joint damage, are they truly sufferers of MPD? Sorry for my ignorance, but this has been bothering me.
Anyone?

Cheryl

Old 05-02-2003, 05:30 AM   #2
(female)

OHJELJ HB User
Cheryl,

OK, I have both a disk problem and myofacial pain disorder...the muscle problem caused the disk displacements...I believe this completely! If you saw pictures of me as a kid and then saw me now, you could see that I had the problem most of my life. The disk problem happened after 20 years of grinding my teeth. The joints finally just gave out! I used to have a VERY square jaw line and full face...no more. In fact, since the surgery, people keep asking if I've lost weight...I wish! My face is just so much narrower since the muscles have begun calming down!

So, I truely believe that the MFPD and TMJD are related, but the muscle problem does exist without the joint problem.

Hope this helped...
Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2003, 05:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Jennifer,

It just seems as though TMJD is such an umbrella term, it's confusing when doctors all use a different name. Hope you have a good day!

Cheryl

Old 05-02-2003, 06:54 AM   #4
Veteran

Jill J HB User
I have the same problem as Jennifer. Mine started from a bad filling resulting in muscle problems in the jaw. Well the muscle problems went on for so long that my joint adjusted to it and is now out of place. I will be seeing the OS the end of this month. Now Cheryl, go with the MPD because insurance will cover that diagnosis but not TMJ. I make all my drs put MPD on referrals for that reason....Have a good day, Jill

Old 05-02-2003, 09:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jill,

You're right with the insurance. At first the docs were listing tmj, I had them change it to MPD and now they're getting paid. Thanks,

Cheryl

Old 05-04-2003, 06:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

TiffanyAnn HB User
Hi:
I think it's such a shame that we have to play "games" to get our condition treated and paid for. It isn't right that insurance companies get rich off us and then when we need them they refuse to pay. They are such blood suckers and what's worse is they have some kid sitting behind a desk who has most likely NEVER had anything wrong with them making determinations on us. It's just down right scary not to mention maddening.
Tiffany

Old 05-04-2003, 06:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi,

They should pay no matter what's wrong with us, we're paying for the health insurance in the first place!

Cheryl

Old 05-04-2003, 10:38 PM   #8
Veteran

thisstarr HB User
Hi Everyone,

I agree, it is bull that we pay them all this money and these doctors are "supposed" to help us but instead make us worse! Half of us on this board know more about TMJ then them, thats so sad to say!

I think I have MPS, I get these facial spasms that are so painful in my jaw, cheeks, face,, I get my MRI results on thurssday, I am pretty sure, they will read it wrong, I have heard so many bad things about my insurnace company reading MRI results wrong very often, if my is just muscle pain then I wonder if is is MPS?

Take care all,
Starr

Closed Thread