It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2003, 10:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
Post Anyone had a Discectomy, (only)

Hi,

Carey and lecach have ask about discectomies.
I'm not really a good example. I was already a multi-surgical mess when I had this procedure done. The surgeon did not follow up with a splint to help with healing. It was 6 yrs. ago, and I was a little older than they are.

I wondered if anyone has had this procedure recently, without all the "baggage" I had and how they have fared with it. Also, if the surgeon followed up with splint therapy to support the joints while healing.

I wondered if Carole might elaborate, regarding her disc being out of the joint and it being a tolerable condition. Also, the statement your Doctor made regarding the possibility that many people are walking around without disc and don't know it. I find that very interesting.

Thanks,

Cymy Sue

[This message has been edited by Cymy Sue (edited 05-01-2003).]

Old 05-01-2003, 11:10 AM   #2
(female)

lecach HB User
Thanks Cymy! Actually I do have a bit of baggage - not as heavy a load as yours, but....

I was in a car accident when I was 16. Over the years the clicking got worse and worse. Around the time I turned 25 I started getting migraines. Went to an Oral and Maxilofacial surgeon at the advice of my dentist. He recommended that he do open joint surgery to remove a callous from my jawbone and lots of scar tissue. So thats what he did. Then a year later he had to do arthroscopy to remove scar tissue. Then 2 years ago I started hurting again. Went to different TMJ dr. because I lived in a different area. He discovered my discs were completely out - as far out as they could posssibly be. He recommended open joint surgery to put them back. Thats what I had in Feb. of last year when I was 33. I was still in pain but not as bad. Then in January of this year I went for my dental cleaning and the next day I was in a LOT of pain - still am. Discovered a couple weeks ago that my discs are out of place again, and too thin to put back. I go back to the dr. on May 22. Im really thinking discectomy may be the way to go. I know everyone is different, and what works for one may not work for another. But I want to go to the Dr. armed with any info I can get.

Sorry for being so long winded! Thanks anyone and everyone for their advice.

Leigh in NC

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2003, 02:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
Red face

Sorry Leigh,

I didn't realize you already had all of those procedures. You "DO" have a lot of baggage. (I wasn't trying to one-up on you) I was hoping someone with a better experience than I had would answer. I do think the restructuring surgeries (Jaw Breaks) caused the most damage for me. Also, I waited 3 years after the cartilage replacements went bad to have them out completely.

Hopefully, since you have not waited so long and they are doing more of the discectomies now, it will be an easier recuperation for you.

It does sound like it may be the next step for you. I know it sounds bad and it's a major decision to make.

You do at least have some information and can ask questions. I didn't know anything about it and would have loved to talk to someone who did.

I still would like to know if anyone has had this procedure, ( minus a bunch of others).

Take care,

Cymy Sue

Old 05-02-2003, 07:16 AM   #4
(female)

lecach HB User
Thanks Cymy.

I am starting to freak out a bit. I have been reading the TMJ reality thread which is probably not a good idea for me. Im starting to wonder if there is anything that can make the pain go away and enable me to talk without worrying if every word is going to make my jaw hurt. Im worried too about being on drugs forever - we havent had kids yet (this was supposed to be the year for trying) and I am wondering if thats even possible. I wish I could see some success stories but it seems like the only stories I can find are failures.

Old 05-02-2003, 07:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Cymy Sue HB User
Leigh,

I know it's scary and discouraging. I think the majority of the discussion on TMJ Reality are the members with Implants. We don't have those.

There's another thread of discussion regarding "Successes" not posting on these Forums.

I know this is a hard decision to make. You've already had some of the worst done and survived. If a Discectomy is suggested, ask all the questions and decide what to do.

Trust your Surgeon and know exactly what to expect immediatly after and follow-up treatment. Ask him how long it takes to heal. Ask him how long it will be until you can get off meds. They have to know some of these answers now. (Ball-Park, at least)

You can live without disc and you can certainly get better much quicker than I did. I wished I knew someone who had this procedure and had proper follow-up care.

Sometimes making the decision is the hardest part.
I wish you the best in whatever you decide.

Cymy Sue

Old 05-03-2003, 07:15 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Carey HB User
Cymy Sue,

Well it has come down to crunch time and in 5 weeks i will have the discectomy of my left tmj. i saw my surgeon a couple of days ago and he answered all my questions i had regarding the surgery. i feel totally confident with him. he said i will be in severe pain for a while because it will be done as an open joint surgery, but he said from what pain i have eperienced, now and in the past, post op shouldn't be any worse than what i have been thru.

I am scared but this is something that just has to be done. i cannot go on living with severe pain, and on the massive amounts of meds, and an opening of 5mm like i have been for the past 3 years. anyway my disc is totally stuffed, it has a huge hole in it, i have massive adhesions and scar tissue everywhere in the joint and everything is inflamed, and the disc irrepairable. i have weighed up my options and this is the path i have chosen to go with.

I hope everything runs smoothly as i have had my fair share of muck ups and complications thru negligence of other surgeries.

Take care,
Carey

[This message has been edited by Carey (edited 05-03-2003).]

Old 05-05-2003, 08:22 AM   #7
(female)

lecach HB User
Cymy: Forgive me if I have asked this already....but WHY is a discectomy sometimes a good thing? Is it because the bad disc is pressing against nerves and causing pain? Im just wondering why it makes a difference if discs that are out of place are left alone or removed?

Closed Thread