It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

TMJ Disorder -TemporoMandibular Joint Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2003, 01:28 PM   #1
(male)

nirmal HB User
Post what am i gonna do ne body from the uk

I had trauma to the jaw and neck through a nasty fall!

Basically my bite is know off and i cant close my mouth properly

my local dentist refferred me to the maxillofacial unit in the local hospital

For the last 4 months they have been telling me to eat soft foods and relax the jaw, and quite frankly it appears they dont have a clue, theyre answers vary alot to them found on tmj dentist websites.

Basically they dont have a clue what to do and have dismissed me in the hope that it will heal.

I am from the uk and tmj dentists are hard to find, and am also a student so funding private treatment is not going to be the easiest thing.

Theyre restorative dentistry and orthodontics department, in another local hospital, i shall try theyre next.

My jaw clicks, but theyre only one click and when i feel my jaw carefully, its almost as if i can feel it popping forward, towards my eye.

I know what i need and that is a pull forward splint to get the correct relationship between the condyle and the fosse.

what shall i do i am so worried know, four months it has been

somebody from the uk please help me, the nhs are ending up to be useless.

I am probably going to have to travel like 100 miles for treatment and its going to cost me alot but i guess thats the way life is!

ahhhhh im so worried

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2003, 03:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

hbep HB Userhbep HB Userhbep HB User
Hi Nirmal,

I'm in London and it's true, England does seem to be behind a bit where TMJD treatment is concerned. I finally got a diagnosis on Thursday from the Eastman Dental Hospital in London. They X rayed me and my problem is muscular, I've been put on a muscle relaxant and am having a splint made. The consultant I saw explained that they only use 'conservative' treatment at The Eastman. In their opinion there isn't enough evidence to back up the use of anterior repositioning splints, and they feel they can make things worse. Obviously I have been on this board, so know that there are many differing opinions on this, and also good outcomes from this type of treatment. Fortunately, in my case their approach isn't a problem as my tmjd is muscular, so a repositioning splint probably doesn't apply to me. Although if the treatment from The Eastman doesn't work I may have to look elsewhere for people who do believe in other treatments. I did ask what they would do if someone's tm joints were out of place - she wasn't keen to talk about it as it wasn't relevant to me. I did feel however, that the consultant I saw was at least very knowledgeable about tmjd, she took me through my X ray and explained what the joint would look like if it was a joint problem. She was also aware of other types of treatments, just didn't believe in them.

Basically I do think it might be worth getting a referral to the Eastman anyway, it's NHS, and they are quite a famous dental hospital. They might have a different response if someone has actually had an injury to the jaw, especially if you can't close your mouth properly. If they prove to be hopeless, then you're no worse off than you are now. They were also very nice, and took jaw pain and in my case the ear problems I experience very seriously.

Hope this helps a bit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread